3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
30-12-2013, 02:03 PM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(30-12-2013 01:59 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 01:36 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  I'm not convinced googling something means you understand what it means,

Unsuccessful dodge is unsuccessful. Means that your Red Herring Fallacy didn't work. I used the picture to illustrate the well-known definition of a fallacious strawman argument, and I applied it to your statement, showing how it was indeed a strawman.

So, again: Show where I said that my "rationale" was as you claimed it to be, or admit your disingenuous and intellectually dishonest attempt to employ a strawman fallacy.

Quote:you kids in the information age huh. A little 'knowledge' is a dangerous thing.

Not that it would matter in the least, but I am sure that I am quite a bit older than your punk ass.

Quote:You said: " If it were simply a matter of non-belief in one or another person's view, it would be silly as fuck to form a group on that basis. When that "someone" -- which is to say, that huge group of someones -- tries to force their beliefs on us and our fucking children, that's another story".

Perhaps you don't like the slant I've put on it,

Your "slant" -- and look: You DO admit to strawmanning my statement -- is a load of bullshit designed to misrepresent what I said and my motivations.

Quote: if so you should try focusing on the impact religion has had and not try presenting any naturalist focus.

I am not in need of the advice of a disingenuous snake-oil bullshit artist, fyvm.

Quote:I like it when people cannot differentiate between religion, man's impact on it and philosophy.

I like it when ignorant and disingenuous fucktards assume that we have to have one and only one reason to be here. What do you tell yourself is the "reason" that YOU are here for, by the way?

For us, it is obvious.

[Image: 1986d1332082574-pocketesn-quickly-get-in...-troll.jpg]

I want to see if you can justify atheism to make it any less of a leap of faith than theism. Failing so far.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2013, 02:05 PM
(30-12-2013 02:02 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 01:40 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  The difference is taking an active position against those who believe there is an even number. Most wouldn't care. Or let me guess, if religion was gone everything would be perfect?

When those who believe there are an even number start harassing, vilifying, ostracizing, executing, burning to death, taking the children away from the people who don't believe it, that is quite a good reason to take an active position against them.

Yes things would be perfect if religion was gone.Hug
30-12-2013, 02:05 PM
(30-12-2013 01:55 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 01:51 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  What message are you trying to convey in your reply to me? Wink

No, seriously, it doesn't make sense to me. Big Grin

You struggle a bit dontcha? Try saying why it lacks consistency, meaning. No you don't have to bother with the cowbell. I'll assume that was a joke given it was an old joke, perhaps you were serious, who knows?

I struggle? Hell yes - your writing is atrocious at times! Big Grin

There is little to no point in extrapolating on what I've said thus far. Why? Because I said so. You can't take issue with that argument because it's pretty much the same argument you've used on this thread so far.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
30-12-2013, 02:08 PM
(30-12-2013 01:42 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 01:33 PM)Dom Wrote:  Anything at all is a valid reason to gather. People are social animals.

First you would have to identify as something due to the lack of belief in someone else's position. If you believe that's logical that's your call.

Far more logical than identifying as something, and socializing on the basis of, belief in superstitions and fairy tales. After all, there don't appear to be any Triskaidekaphobia, Alektorophobia, or Isopterophobia clubs or gatherings around.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
30-12-2013, 02:09 PM
(30-12-2013 02:05 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 01:55 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  You struggle a bit dontcha? Try saying why it lacks consistency, meaning. No you don't have to bother with the cowbell. I'll assume that was a joke given it was an old joke, perhaps you were serious, who knows?

I struggle? Hell yes - your writing is atrocious at times! Big Grin

There is little to no point in extrapolating on what I've said thus far. Why? Because I said so. You can't take issue with that argument because it's pretty much the same position you've taken on this thread for other reasons so far.

Can you justify anything you say? Outline where my writing is atrocious and I'll reword it. Otherwise I will just think your condescending approach is just an poor attempt to give you leverage.

Given atheists require that theists rationalise their perspective (provide evidence etc) I would like atheists to do the same once your position goes beyond a "lack of belief".

That seems to be too much to ask, and I should just assume you're as correct as the bible. Hardly convincing is it?
30-12-2013, 02:10 PM
(30-12-2013 02:08 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 01:42 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  First you would have to identify as something due to the lack of belief in someone else's position. If you believe that's logical that's your call.

Far more logical than identifying as something, and socializing on the basis of, belief in superstitions and fairy tales. After all, there don't appear to be any Triskaidekaphobia, Alektorophobia, or Isopterophobia clubs or gatherings around.

Laughat Your approach is far more logical than something illogical? Really, is that all you have?
30-12-2013, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: 30-12-2013 02:16 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(30-12-2013 01:52 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 01:47 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I'm not talking about taking an active position against those who think it is an even number. I'm just talking about not believing that there is an even number of gumballs.

So to clarify, do you understand the difference between "believing there is not" and "not believing there is"?

And you may be confusing atheist for antitheist.

I know of several atheists that have no problem with religion. I myself used to be an admirer of religion, and thought it was wonderful. That position changed as I learned more about religion though.

Yes I understand the difference, but don't believe that is the atheist position. it's just hiding behind a false definition.

You don't dictate to the world what the definitions of atheism and agnosticism, or anything else are.

All you are doing amounts to a bunch of equivocation (yet another fallacy).

Quote:I have never met any atheists who have no issue with religion.

Your past is your past, I used to be an atheist and am now agnostic.

I don't think anyone here believes you are anything but a theist shill.

(30-12-2013 02:10 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 02:08 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Far more logical than identifying as something, and socializing on the basis of, belief in superstitions and fairy tales. After all, there don't appear to be any Triskaidekaphobia, Alektorophobia, or Isopterophobia clubs or gatherings around.

Laughat Your approach is far more logical than something illogical? Really, is that all you have?

I figured you would be too stupid to recognize Argumentum Ad Absurdum.

It's a HELLUVA lot more than you have.

(30-12-2013 02:05 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 02:02 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  When those who believe there are an even number start harassing, vilifying, ostracizing, executing, burning to death, taking the children away from the people who don't believe it, that is quite a good reason to take an active position against them.

Yes things would be perfect if religion was gone.Hug

How many times are you going to trot THAT strawman out?

[Image: strawmanargument.jpg]

Things might not pe *perfect* -- I make no such claim -- but they will be a hell of a lot better without your superstitious bullshit fairytales.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
30-12-2013, 02:14 PM
(30-12-2013 02:11 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 01:52 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Yes I understand the difference, but don't believe that is the atheist position. it's just hiding behind a false definition.

You don't dictate to the world what the definitions of atheism and agnosticism, or anything else are.

Yes of course you do. It's how you justify anyone disagreeing with you, they MUST be a theist.

If you are older than me, I feel really sorry for you.
30-12-2013, 02:16 PM
(30-12-2013 02:11 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 01:52 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Yes I understand the difference, but don't believe that is the atheist position. it's just hiding behind a false definition.

(30-12-2013 02:10 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Laughat Your approach is far more logical than something illogical? Really, is that all you have?

I figured you would be too stupid to recognize Argumentum Ad Absurdum.

(30-12-2013 02:05 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Yes things would be perfect if religion was gone.Hug

How many times are you going to trot THAT strawman out?

[Image: strawmanargument.jpg]

Ok so we have no basis to gather based on a lack of belief, no basis to believe life would be better if there was no religion. So what's the purpose of atheism again?
30-12-2013, 02:18 PM
(30-12-2013 02:11 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  I figured you would be too stupid to recognize Argumentum Ad Absurdum.

Ohhhhh Latin.

I don't have any position to justify. I don't know. That's it. Sorry your justification is still shit.