3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
01-01-2014, 01:56 PM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(01-01-2014 01:01 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 12:42 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  1. Do you believe that meatballs from South Carolina have rolled into a nuclear power plant, mated with termites and are currently attacking Italian restaurant's across the nation!??? I don't have to prove that god exists. You do!

2. Atheism does not have a purpose. It is: "a disbelief in the existence of deity". It's not a belief of something.

3. Since there is no evidence to support the existence of any god, but a great deal of evidence to support other reasons for all that exists, atheists kind of have the upper hand in the debate.

1. Nope I don't have to prove anything, nor would I bother to disprove your claim, or even comment on it. I realise you make your claim as ridiculous as possible to give your position the pretension of having a grip truth. All you have is a grip on is your lack of belief, well done, how marvelously pointless.

2. Of course it's a belief. If you discount a deity you must have a rationale for doing so, and believe you have some sort of proof for existence which discounts it. Given that there's no proof which does anything of the sort, yours is a belief. A leap of faith, a non-god of the gaps if you will.

3. What evidence do you have? I would love to hear this. I'm expecting the obvious Evolution, Big Bang, possibly even Quantum Fluctuations and perhaps some Krauss as well? Sleepy

Atheists have nothing of the sort. You just like to think you do.

"What evidence do you have?"

Science has suggested that if I plant a seed, water it, fertilize it, it will grow and produce something. I grow a garden every year and find this to be true! Science Has suggested the death rate, among everything that lives is 100%. This seems to be the case! So, it's not a matter of "proof". It's a matter of "evidence"! The evidence supports the lack of a god. Therefore, the burden of proof is on you! If you can, somehow, convince me, without proof, that you're god is valid and true, I will fly to your house and suck your dick!!!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2014, 05:21 PM
(01-01-2014 01:27 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 01:01 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  1. Nope I don't have to prove anything, nor would I bother to disprove your claim, or even comment on it. I realise you make your claim as ridiculous as possible to give your position the pretension of having a grip truth. All you have is a grip on is your lack of belief, well done, how marvelously pointless.

2. Of course it's a belief. If you discount a deity you must have a rationale for doing so, and believe you have some sort of proof for existence which discounts it. Given that there's no proof which does anything of the sort, yours is a belief. A leap of faith, a non-god of the gaps if you will.

3. What evidence do you have? I would love to hear this. I'm expecting the obvious Evolution, Big Bang, possibly even Quantum Fluctuations and perhaps some Krauss as well? Sleepy

Yes, my thoughts about meatballs are ridiculous! Explain, again, how the idea of a deity, who existed before existence is not ridiculous? I'm sure that the "Big Bang" is a non-starter for you, because you have to ask: "What happened before that?" Me too! That puzzles me! But the idea of a god doesn't answer the question. What happened before god?

The difference is I don't think we ever will know, so depending on a lack of evidence makes the assumption that we CAN know or you wouldn't depend on it to rationalise your lack of belief.
01-01-2014, 05:24 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2014 05:31 PM by Brownshirt.)
(01-01-2014 01:41 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 01:01 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  1. Nope I don't have to prove anything, nor would I bother to disprove your claim, or even comment on it. I realise you make your claim as ridiculous as possible to give your position the pretension of having a grip truth. All you have is a grip on is your lack of belief, well done, how marvelously pointless.

"Of course it's a belief. If you discount a deity you must have a rationale for doing so, and believe you have some sort of proof for existence which discounts it."

Here's the difference: I don't have a "belief" in anything science has to offer. I have information. Much of science is convincing to me. Some of it is not. String theory, for instance, strikes me as science fiction. Doesn't mean it's wrong. I just have a difficult time with the concept. Don't "believe" it! But, someone who understands it better than I do might be able to change my mind about it.

Science is limited by the limitations of its observers. Why should I believe we have the capability to assess existence correctly for the purposes of answering the riddle of existence? We can assess based on what we can understand, much like you wouldn't explain physics to a dog.
01-01-2014, 05:30 PM
(01-01-2014 01:56 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  "What evidence do you have?"

Science has suggested that if I plant a seed, water it, fertilize it, it will grow and produce something. I grow a garden every year and find this to be true! Science Has suggested the death rate, among everything that lives is 100%. This seems to be the case! So, it's not a matter of "proof". It's a matter of "evidence"! The evidence supports the lack of a god. Therefore, the burden of proof is on you! If you can, somehow, convince me, without proof, that you're god is valid and true, I will fly to your house and suck your dick!!!

Man didn't require science for farming or knowing that death would occur. Strange point.

The evidence supports nothing. If you have some evidence to prove some other cause for existence then fire away. Until then agnosticism is the only rational position to take.

So sadly for you there's no burden on me at all unless by saying "you're god" you mean I am god? I will assume you got "your" and "you're" mixed up.
01-01-2014, 05:33 PM
(01-01-2014 01:55 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(28-12-2013 12:36 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  1. Why do you have an active lack of belief? The position comes across as one who wants to be recognised as one who negates any form of god but not have to prove anything.

2. What is the purpose of atheism?

3. Why believe evidence is (or will be) available to confirm or negate a god?

1) I don't consider my lack of belief to be active.
2) uhh o.O why would there be a purpose?
3) I don't. Which is why I don't believe in god...

1. And yet here you are.
2. I don't know, why do you post here? You claim in 1 to be inactive.
3. So you believe evidence will not be coming to prove or disprove a god, and depend on that to justify atheism? Wow.
01-01-2014, 06:38 PM
(01-01-2014 05:33 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 01:55 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  1) I don't consider my lack of belief to be active.
2) uhh o.O why would there be a purpose?
3) I don't. Which is why I don't believe in god...

1. And yet here you are.
3. So you believe evidence will not be coming to prove or disprove a god, and depend on that to justify atheism? Wow.
1. Yes I am here, so are you
2. You're right you don't know. I like to post here. It is nice to chat with people. I never claimed to be inactive. I am, indeed, a very active person. I have 3 young children that I run after, I cook fresh homemade meals for lunch and dinner every day, I do crafts, I jog, and when I have time I get on the Internet and enjoy "interacting" with people who are closer to my own age than my kids are. I said, "I don't consider my lack if belief to be active".
I don't believe a lack of belief can be active. It doesn't really make sense unless you mean like actively trying to convince others not to believe, which I do not do.
3) I don't feel the need to justify my beliefs, lack of beliefs, or any part of my life to you or most other people. Atheist is just a word. It isn't who I am or how I am or what I am. It is just a word to describe a person who doesn't believe in any deities. Why would I believe in something if there is no proof of it's existence? Should I believe simply because there is no proof that it doesn't exist? There is no proof of the non-existence of a planet made up entirely of candy in some far off galaxy, but I won't believe in that either until I see proof that it does exist. I don't have to justify that to you either.
01-01-2014, 07:09 PM
(01-01-2014 06:38 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 05:33 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  1. And yet here you are.
1. Yes I am here, so are you
2. You're right you don't know. I like to post here. It is nice to chat with people. I never claimed to be inactive. I am, indeed, a very active person. I have 3 young children that I run after, I cook fresh homemade meals for lunch and dinner every day, I do crafts, I jog, and when I have time I get on the Internet and enjoy "interacting" with people who are closer to my own age than my kids are. I said, "I don't consider my lack if belief to be active".
I don't believe a lack of belief can be active. It doesn't really make sense unless you mean like actively trying to convince others not to believe, which I do not do.
3) I don't feel the need to justify my beliefs, lack of beliefs, or any part of my life to you or most other people. Atheist is just a word. It isn't who I am or how I am or what I am. It is just a word to describe a person who doesn't believe in any deities. Why would I believe in something if there is no proof of it's existence? Should I believe simply because there is no proof that it doesn't exist? There is no proof of the non-existence of a planet made up entirely of candy in some far off galaxy, but I won't believe in that either until I see proof that it does exist. I don't have to justify that to you either.

1. I'm not dwelling on my disbelief in religion. Why should I?
2. Why participate based on something which you lack belief in.
3. Don't. I wrote, you replied. Those ridiculous examples are so trite, it makes whoever said it as deep as puddle in the desert.

Why for someone so supposedly rational, is what you believe or disbelieve so important? You could easily be someone who lacks belief in no god, but for some reason you wouldn't make that claim.
01-01-2014, 07:47 PM
So you're an active agnostic. Interesting.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
01-01-2014, 08:12 PM
(01-01-2014 07:47 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  So you're an active agnostic. Interesting.

Yes, I'm reacting to the proselytisation attempts by atheists. I just wish they would fuck off and let people be. You know, how some people dislike theists attempts to indoctrinate? I'm bothered by that and atheists. Many atheists are as bad as theists.

For example, many atheists here have told me I'm an atheist based on what I believe or don't believe. That many draw no distinction between justified true belief and knowledge etc is why the typical atheist will never understand my position. They're too caught up in what they view to be true, despite, ironically , having no proof for their base assumption that we can assess existence 100% correctly. Let's just pretend it is and work off of that shall we?
01-01-2014, 08:26 PM
(01-01-2014 08:12 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Yes, I'm reacting to the proselytisation attempts by atheists. I just wish they would fuck off and let people be.

I understand. But why would an atheist come to an atheist forum to proselytize?
It would make more sense to go somewhere where there are more people of differing opinions to speak with. I came here to discuss shit with other atheists and get away from proselytizing.

You know what I hate? People that show up here and proceed to tell me who I am and how I should think or act. I just wish they would fuck off and let people be. If a person of faith wants to come here to debate, they are welcome to. But they know what they are walking into so we don't need your fucking crying about it.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post