3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
02-01-2014, 02:06 AM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(02-01-2014 12:59 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 12:45 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  That you lack the ability to differentiate where belief and knowledge merge is your own issue. By all means assume you possess the capability to assess "reality" as it is.

No one has addressed that only atheists present the atheism/theism is based on what you believe, agnosticism is what you know stance is only ever proposed by atheists.

No, I don't know all atheists, i'm working only of the ones I've spoken to in real life and on the net. You're all so unique, it's difficult to discern.

You say:

That's fucking gold. Learn what the terms mean before accusing someone of not understanding the terms at hand. Fuck me. Laughat

School me then.

Agnostic: we can't know if there is a god.

Atheist: there isn't enough evidence to believe in a god.

Same thing, different semantics. You put too much importance on these terms. Why are we arguing about this?

Your definitions above outline exactly why they are mutually exclusive.

If we can't know there's a deity(agnosticism) why make the claim that there's no evidence for the deity (atheism)? That's implicit in the claim of we cannot know, as the only way we could know would be for evidence for deity.

It's not semantics at all, I want nothing to do with the arrogant ignorance of the atheist position.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2014, 02:09 AM
(02-01-2014 02:06 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  I want nothing to do with the arrogant ignorance of the atheist position.

And you're damn well gonna let us know too! So that we can all come and be humble little harmless agnostics with you... and spread the Gospel of Atheists are Arrogant Dicks across the internet...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
02-01-2014, 02:12 AM
(02-01-2014 02:09 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 02:06 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  I want nothing to do with the arrogant ignorance of the atheist position.

And you're damn well gonna let us know too! So that we can all come and be humble little harmless agnostics with you... and spread the Gospel of Atheists are Arrogant Dicks across the internet...

Yep, i dislike hypocrisy that much.

Why aren't you listening to Alanis and crying yourself to sleep?. I got the impression you were a guy from someone. If you are that makes the Alanis thing even worse.
02-01-2014, 02:22 AM
Ah so now I must become an agnostic who makes stupid comments about a successful musician ? How many CDs have *you* sold eh ?

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
02-01-2014, 02:24 AM
(02-01-2014 02:22 AM)morondog Wrote:  Ah so now I must become an agnostic who makes stupid comments about a successful musician ? How many CDs have *you* sold eh ?

Laughat No that's an entirely different topic to agnosticism. Appalling taste in music is your call.

Yeah sales of CDs directly correlates with quality.Thumbsup
02-01-2014, 02:32 AM
(02-01-2014 02:24 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Yeah sales of CDs directly correlates with quality.Thumbsup

Quality is subjective... and I happen to think hers is pretty good. Decent poetry and good musicality. Sales of CDs show that a good number of people agree with me. Sure she's not everyone's cup of tea, but she's a good musician. Not that I give a shit that you should agree, or want to have a pointless argument, but *your* attempts to insult her, oh great keyboard warrior, are pretty lame Thumbsup

02-01-2014, 02:40 AM
By claiming that its impossible to know theres a god, you've narrowed the possible gods to ones that can't interact with our universe.

If they could and did interact with our universe we could know there is a god. For example: if god appeared to the world and was demonstrably a deity.

If you deny the possibility of knowing whether or not gods exist, you immediately rule out omnipotence. You must not believe in any of the gods reported to interact with the universe. So what's left is maybe a god that created but cannot interact with the universe. How exciting.

Of course we aren't all following your understanding of agnosticism. Most of us realize that an agnostic stance can be taken in the context of the AVAILABLE evidence being insufficient to claim knowledge for or against god. To close our minds to the possibility of future evidence, and claim its impossible to ever know, would be foolish.
[+] 3 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
02-01-2014, 02:47 AM
(01-01-2014 07:09 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 06:38 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  1. Yes I am here, so are you
2. You're right you don't know. I like to post here. It is nice to chat with people. I never claimed to be inactive. I am, indeed, a very active person. I have 3 young children that I run after, I cook fresh homemade meals for lunch and dinner every day, I do crafts, I jog, and when I have time I get on the Internet and enjoy "interacting" with people who are closer to my own age than my kids are. I said, "I don't consider my lack if belief to be active".
I don't believe a lack of belief can be active. It doesn't really make sense unless you mean like actively trying to convince others not to believe, which I do not do.
3) I don't feel the need to justify my beliefs, lack of beliefs, or any part of my life to you or most other people. Atheist is just a word. It isn't who I am or how I am or what I am. It is just a word to describe a person who doesn't believe in any deities. Why would I believe in something if there is no proof of it's existence? Should I believe simply because there is no proof that it doesn't exist? There is no proof of the non-existence of a planet made up entirely of candy in some far off galaxy, but I won't believe in that either until I see proof that it does exist. I don't have to justify that to you either.

1. I'm not dwelling on my disbelief in religion. Why should I?
2. Why participate based on something which you lack belief in.
3. Don't. I wrote, you replied. Those ridiculous examples are so trite, it makes whoever said it as deep as puddle in the desert.

Why for someone so supposedly rational, is what you believe or disbelieve so important? You could easily be someone who lacks belief in no god, but for some reason you wouldn't make that claim.

Umm...you're very odd. You asked a few questions. I answered them. You attack me for my answers? I like it here. If you check my posts you will see that I almost never participate in the atheist vs theist threads. This week my most interesting participation was about ramen and pho.
Why should what I believe or not believe be important? I never said it was. No one here is going to try to pressure you into being atheist ok. Get over yourself.
[+] 5 users Like Losty's post
02-01-2014, 02:49 AM
(01-01-2014 08:26 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 08:12 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Yes, I'm reacting to the proselytisation attempts by atheists. I just wish they would fuck off and let people be.

I understand. But why would an atheist come to an atheist forum to proselytize?
It would make more sense to go somewhere where there are more people of differing opinions to speak with. I came here to discuss shit with other atheists and get away from proselytizing.

You know what I hate? People that show up here and proceed to tell me who I am and how I should think or act. I just wish they would fuck off and let people be. If a person of faith wants to come here to debate, they are welcome to. But they know what they are walking into so we don't need your fucking crying about it.

How do you always manage to make me love you more <3 haha
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
02-01-2014, 02:53 AM
(01-01-2014 11:14 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  C'mon evenheathen, ONLY ATHEISTS follow the logical implications of the accurate and most widely accepted definition of atheism. He's OBVIOUSLY different and not just being a stubborn fool!

Hipgnostic

Because being atheist is too mainstream. Lol
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post