3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
02-01-2014, 08:33 AM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(02-01-2014 12:56 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 11:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  I don't believe there is a god or there isn't a god - I am agnostic on that subject.

I have no belief in any gods - I am atheistic.

I am an agnostic atheist. If you don't like that terminology, fine - your choice.

I don't like the terminology as it attempts to high-jack the meaning of agnosticism , so yours has the facade of being open-minded. We all know that's bullshit.

And you know me so well from our long and intimate acquaintance? Consider
You are an ass.

Quote:Kinda like a deity being as plausible as fairies, teapot etc. It's fucking pathetic as a rational position.

Gnosticism/agnosticism is about knowledge, not belief.

gnosis: esoteric knowledge of spiritual truth held by the ancient Gnostics to be essential to salvation.

So an agnostic rejects having this knowledge.

Agnosticism is the belief that the truth values of certain claims—especially claims about the existence or non-existence of any deity, as well as other religious and metaphysical claims—are unknown.

You are welcome to define your position any way you want, but you may not define mine.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
02-01-2014, 08:55 AM
(02-01-2014 02:06 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 12:59 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  School me then.

Agnostic: we can't know if there is a god.

Atheist: there isn't enough evidence to believe in a god.

Same thing, different semantics. You put too much importance on these terms. Why are we arguing about this?

Your definitions above outline exactly why they are mutually exclusive.

If we can't know there's a deity(agnosticism) why make the claim that there's no evidence for the deity (atheism)? That's implicit in the claim of we cannot know, as the only way we could know would be for evidence for deity.

It's not semantics at all, I want nothing to do with the arrogant ignorance of the atheist position.

Are you really that obtuse? I ignored most of this thread because, well your whining about bullshit bored me right off the bat. But from the last few pages here I'm kind of astounded at how religious you are about being agnostic, and telling us atheists how heretical we are. It's amusing, although sad. More often than not, I try not to feed trolls but I couldn't help myself here. Thanks for the laughs, buddy!

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
02-01-2014, 09:01 AM
I thought he was suspect from the off. I'm sure learned peeps like yourselves are fully aware but the name Brownshirt holds some dodgy connotations. I believe a German gent has already called him on that and he gave some absolute bullshit. I just thought I'd dive in and tell him to fuck off. The little bell end needs a dictionary re: Agnostic!

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
02-01-2014, 10:27 AM
(02-01-2014 09:01 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  I thought he was suspect from the off. I'm sure learned peeps like yourselves are fully aware but the name Brownshirt holds some dodgy connotations. I believe a German gent has already called him on that and he gave some absolute bullshit. I just thought I'd dive in and tell him to fuck off. The little bell end needs a dictionary re: Agnostic!

Brown·shirt
ˈbrounˌSHərt/
noun
noun: Brownshirt; plural noun: Brownshirts
a member of an early Nazi militia founded by Hitler in Munich in 1921, with brown uniforms resembling that of Mussolini's Blackshirts. They aided Hitler's rise to power, but were eclipsed by the SS after the “night of the long knives” in June 1934.

Well, ya learn something new every day huh.
02-01-2014, 01:26 PM
(01-01-2014 05:30 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 01:56 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  "What evidence do you have?"

Science has suggested that if I plant a seed, water it, fertilize it, it will grow and produce something. I grow a garden every year and find this to be true! Science Has suggested the death rate, among everything that lives is 100%. This seems to be the case! So, it's not a matter of "proof". It's a matter of "evidence"! The evidence supports the lack of a god. Therefore, the burden of proof is on you! If you can, somehow, convince me, without proof, that you're god is valid and true, I will fly to your house and suck your dick!!!

Man didn't require science for farming or knowing that death would occur. Strange point.

The evidence supports nothing. If you have some evidence to prove some other cause for existence then fire away. Until then agnosticism is the only rational position to take.

So sadly for you there's no burden on me at all unless by saying "you're god" you mean I am god? I will assume you got "your" and "you're" mixed up.

How do you think man discovered that planting seeds causes plants to grow? Whether it was observation or someone just tried it: That's science!

Of course the burden is on you! You suggest that a deity created all that exists. I suggest that science has made many discoveries which can explain much of all that exists. It can't explain everything. But, through the use of science, we have the light bulb! What has religion produced that is of tangible value? You can turn on a light. Prayer, on the other hand, is a roll of the dice.
[+] 1 user Likes Ameron1963's post
02-01-2014, 01:49 PM
(02-01-2014 10:27 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 09:01 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  I thought he was suspect from the off. I'm sure learned peeps like yourselves are fully aware but the name Brownshirt holds some dodgy connotations. I believe a German gent has already called him on that and he gave some absolute bullshit. I just thought I'd dive in and tell him to fuck off. The little bell end needs a dictionary re: Agnostic!

Brown·shirt
ˈbrounˌSHərt/
noun
a member of an early Nazi militia founded by Hitler in Munich in 1921, with brown uniforms resembling that of Mussolini's Blackshirts. They aided Hitler's rise to power, but were eclipsed by the SS after the “night of the long knives” in June 1934.

Exactly, everything about him, his name, his tone and posturing, his position seem geared towards antagonising. He comes on with the general view that agnostic atheists are the problem etc; ... just another asshole troll

[+] 1 user Likes Monster_Riffs's post
02-01-2014, 02:25 PM
What's the difference between an atheist and an agnostic? An atheist sees no value in the idea of a god, no proof to support the idea. And has the balls to accept that, since the concept is valueless, it is not true! An agnostic also sees no evidence to support any sort of theism, but lacks the necessary balls fully understand that there is no alternative to death! The agnostic wishes to be a Christian, but is too smart for it. In other words, the agnostic is kind of a pussy! . . . But you're NICE pussies!
[+] 1 user Likes Ameron1963's post
02-01-2014, 02:34 PM
(02-01-2014 10:27 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  

Brown·shirt
ˈbrounˌSHərt/
noun

Most people with some education know that. And no as I said early on in this thread there's no link.
02-01-2014, 02:36 PM
(02-01-2014 02:25 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  What's the difference between an atheist and an agnostic? An atheist sees no value in the idea of a god, no proof to support the idea. And has the balls to accept that, since the concept is valueless, it is not true! An agnostic also sees no evidence to support any sort of theism, but lacks the necessary balls fully understand that there is no alternative to death! The agnostic wishes to be a Christian, but is too smart for it. In other words, the agnostic is kind of a pussy! . . . But you're NICE pussies!
Oh oh you just made a claim of "there is no alternative to death". Proof please.
02-01-2014, 02:36 PM
(02-01-2014 02:25 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  What's the difference between an atheist and an agnostic? An atheist sees no value in the idea of a god, no proof to support the idea. And has the balls to accept that, since the concept is valueless, it is not true! An agnostic also sees no evidence to support any sort of theism, but lacks the necessary balls fully understand that there is no alternative to death! The agnostic wishes to be a Christian, but is too smart for it. In other words, the agnostic is kind of a pussy! . . . But you're NICE pussies!

Or, an atheist (or anti-theist) in my sense. Rejects a belief in all supernatural things and actively opposes dogma. An agnostic is the intellectually honest opinion. Smile