3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
02-01-2014, 02:43 PM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(02-01-2014 01:26 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 05:30 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Man didn't require science for farming or knowing that death would occur. Strange point.

The evidence supports nothing. If you have some evidence to prove some other cause for existence then fire away. Until then agnosticism is the only rational position to take.

So sadly for you there's no burden on me at all unless by saying "you're god" you mean I am god? I will assume you got "your" and "you're" mixed up.

How do you think man discovered that planting seeds causes plants to grow? Whether it was observation or someone just tried it: That's science!

Of course the burden is on you! You suggest that a deity created all that exists. I suggest that science has made many discoveries which can explain much of all that exists. It can't explain everything. But, through the use of science, we have the light bulb! What has religion produced that is of tangible value? You can turn on a light. Prayer, on the other hand, is a roll of the dice.
You mean as soon as I don't dismiss the possibility of a deity the onus is on me?

Agnostic my arse.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2014, 02:44 PM
(02-01-2014 08:55 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 02:06 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Your definitions above outline exactly why they are mutually exclusive.

If we can't know there's a deity(agnosticism) why make the claim that there's no evidence for the deity (atheism)? That's implicit in the claim of we cannot know, as the only way we could know would be for evidence for deity.

It's not semantics at all, I want nothing to do with the arrogant ignorance of the atheist position.

Are you really that obtuse? I ignored most of this thread because, well your whining about bullshit bored me right off the bat. But from the last few pages here I'm kind of astounded at how religious you are about being agnostic, and telling us atheists how heretical we are. It's amusing, although sad. More often than not, I try not to feed trolls but I couldn't help myself here. Thanks for the laughs, buddy!
How is that obtuse? Back it up.
02-01-2014, 02:48 PM
(02-01-2014 02:44 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 08:55 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Are you really that obtuse? I ignored most of this thread because, well your whining about bullshit bored me right off the bat. But from the last few pages here I'm kind of astounded at how religious you are about being agnostic, and telling us atheists how heretical we are. It's amusing, although sad. More often than not, I try not to feed trolls but I couldn't help myself here. Thanks for the laughs, buddy!
How is that obtuse? Back it up.

I already have, if you were not so obtuse you would have understood. You are either incapable or are being willfully ignorant of what I have said. Either way I don't believe that this discussion has much more meat to it. You are obviously going to think what you're going to think and that's that. So be it.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
02-01-2014, 02:51 PM
(02-01-2014 02:48 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 02:44 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  How is that obtuse? Back it up.

I already have, if you were not so obtuse you would have understood. You are either incapable or are being willfully ignorant of what I have said. Either way I don't believe that this discussion has much more meat to it. You are obviously going to think what you're going to think and that's that. So be it.
Link?
02-01-2014, 03:06 PM
(02-01-2014 02:51 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 02:48 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I already have, if you were not so obtuse you would have understood. You are either incapable or are being willfully ignorant of what I have said. Either way I don't believe that this discussion has much more meat to it. You are obviously going to think what you're going to think and that's that. So be it.
Link?

Love your circular reasoning though. If you were not so obtuse you would understand why I called you obtuse. Very good.

For some unknown reason I remain unconvinced. I know you've said I'm obtuse.
02-01-2014, 03:29 PM
(02-01-2014 02:25 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  What's the difference between an atheist and an agnostic? An atheist sees no value in the idea of a god, no proof to support the idea. And has the balls to accept that, since the concept is valueless, it is not true! An agnostic also sees no evidence to support any sort of theism, but lacks the necessary balls fully understand that there is no alternative to death! The agnostic wishes to be a Christian, but is too smart for it. In other words, the agnostic is kind of a pussy! . . . But you're NICE pussies!

Nice? Hmm he seems like an asshole to me...
02-01-2014, 03:43 PM
(02-01-2014 03:06 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  For some unknown reason I remain unconvinced.

You don't say... Drinking Beverage

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
02-01-2014, 04:05 PM
(02-01-2014 03:43 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 03:06 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  For some unknown reason I remain unconvinced.

You don't say... Drinking Beverage
You can't justify much.
02-01-2014, 04:05 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2014 04:16 PM by WeAreTheCosmos.)
(02-01-2014 03:32 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 02:40 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  By claiming that its impossible to know theres a god, you've narrowed the possible gods to ones that can't interact with our universe.

Why is that exactly? Tell me what you've assumed?

When things interact with the universe, it allows us to observe them, either directly or indirectly, and compile evidence and knowledge. If you claim it is impossible to know whether god exists or not, you're claiming that we will never observe his direct or indirect interaction with the observable universe. This is at least an incredibly narrow minded view.

If god exists, and is omnipotent, by the very definition he must be able to do anything, including revealing himself to us in such a way that we can know he exists. If he cannot do that, he is not omnipotent.

If you claim we cant know whether god exists or not, you are claiming that god CANT make himself known to us.

If you claim we wont know whether god exists or not, you are claiming to know the future.

[Image: c91b984e6de1932c216d30cb6ae6353f26c4f051...ca881b.jpg]
02-01-2014, 04:53 PM
I glaze over anything brownshirt says and read everybody elses responses..haha. You guys are playing into his/her antagonizing. I mean, I enjoy reading what you guys have to say, but you must know by now that this will go on forever. Is anybody left here who thinks they can convince brownshirt of...anything that he/she doesn't already believe?

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post