3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
02-01-2014, 08:03 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2014 08:08 PM by Losty.)
RE: 3 questions for atheists
Testing:

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2014, 08:08 PM
(02-01-2014 08:03 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Testing:

Yay Big Grin
02-01-2014, 08:09 PM
(02-01-2014 08:01 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 07:23 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  When is someone going to attempt addressing:

If we can't know there's a deity(agnosticism) why make the claim that there's no evidence for the deity (atheism)? That's implicit in the claim of we cannot know, as the only way we could know would be for evidence for deity.

1) you just said "blah blah blah atheism and agnosticism are essentially the same damn thing blah blah blah"
2) are you still here? Damn I thought we successfully detailed this thread.

Hmm maybe if Dom posts some pictures of cheese.

I can see you struggle with basic comprehension.
02-01-2014, 08:28 PM
Thomas Huxley on Agnosticism:

"When I reached intellectual maturity, and began to ask myself whether I was an atheist, a theist, or a pantheist; a materialist or an idealist; a Christian or a freethinker, I found that the more I learned and reflected, the less ready was the answer; until at last I came to the conclusion that I had neither art nor part with any of these denominations, except the last. The one thing in which most of these good people were agreed was the one thing in which I differed from them. They were quite sure that they had attained a certain "gnosis"--had more or less successfully solved the problem of existence; while I was quite sure I had not, and had a pretty strong conviction that the problem was insoluble. And, with Hume and Kant on my side, I could not think myself presumptuous in holding fast by that opinion ..."

and

"Agnosticism, in fact, is not a creed, but a method, the essence of which lies in the rigorous application of a single principle. That principle is of great antiquity; it is as old as Socrates; as old as the writer who said, 'Try all things, hold fast by that which is good'; it is the foundation of the Reformation, which simply illustrated the axiom that every man should be able to give a reason for the faith that is in him, it is the great principle of Descartes; it is the fundamental axiom of modern science. Positively the principle may be expressed: In matters of the intellect, follow your reason as far as it will take you, without regard to any other consideration. And negatively: In matters of the intellect, do not pretend that conclusions are certain which are not demonstrated or demonstrable. That I take to be the agnostic faith, which if a man keep whole and undefiled, he shall not be ashamed to look the universe in the face, whatever the future may have in store for him."

So given he created and defined the fucking term, fuck off atheists.
02-01-2014, 08:30 PM
(02-01-2014 08:09 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 08:01 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  1) you just said "blah blah blah atheism and agnosticism are essentially the same damn thing blah blah blah"
2) are you still here? Damn I thought we successfully detailed this thread.

Hmm maybe if Dom posts some pictures of cheese.

I can see you struggle with basic comprehension.

Even called you obtuse but he was wrong. You're not obtuse, you're just an asshole.

Have some potatoes asshole

[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
02-01-2014, 08:42 PM
One of your own telling you.

02-01-2014, 09:28 PM
(02-01-2014 06:54 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 06:23 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  I'm just having fun. I know he won't change his view. Shame he isn't open to even a dictionary definition lol ... agree with him about Alanis Morissette though Smile
Lol

Much better Smile

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
[+] 1 user Likes Monster_Riffs's post
02-01-2014, 09:29 PM
(02-01-2014 08:42 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  One of your own telling you.

He's a fucking idiot in a shit shirt mate. I think he's yours

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
[+] 1 user Likes Monster_Riffs's post
02-01-2014, 09:53 PM

NO. That guy is talking out of his ass. He makes every stupid point that you are making and it's crap.

Atheism is not a gnostic position. The fact that "gnosis" has a "spiritual" value to the term still lends nothing to your argument. Atheism as a word defined means only that one lacks a belief in a god. Whether or not one rejects the notion of a god, or one is sitting on the fence, one still lacks a belief in a god. This is what the word atheism means. Huxley can suck a fat one. I like his position, because it more clearly defines his thinking about the issue, but at the end of the day he's still a fucking atheist and too cowardly to accept a simple word simply because of the presupposed negative connotations about "what an atheist is". That is why you are wrong.

I would gander that there are probably a good number of self labeled agnostics out there that are offended by the atrocity that religion is and it's negative affect on society who are just as outspoken against it as the self labeled atheists are.

Doesn't make a difference as to the definition of terms. Your boy there in the video goes on to start talking about two different "types" of atheism. This is just bullshit. There are different types of people, not different types of atheism. It's a very simple word with a very simple definition, which lines up very closely with the word agnosticism.

You are a very judgmental person with a chip on your shoulder for whatever reason and you think you are better than me because you don't understand how words work. You like to lump people into these pretty little piles and pretend to know who they are because they accept that their worldview also includes this one word.

That's a sorry way to live life and it only makes you look bad. I suggest you take a step back and reexamine your approach to this matter, because you are simply wrong.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
02-01-2014, 09:59 PM
(02-01-2014 09:29 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  

He's a fucking idiot in a shit shirt mate. I think he's yours

How many times can you say umm in one video damn.
@brownshirt I have only 3 of my own. They're my kids. I don't claim other atheists to be mine. We are not spiritually (or otherwise) linked.

Why do you want to convince us so badly? Why do you care what we think?