3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
03-01-2014, 02:29 AM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(02-01-2014 11:24 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 07:22 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Your logic is terrible. We are part of the universe, why must a product of this universe be able to assess all of the universe and beyond it (if it does exist)?

So my logic of not thinking that we could observe any of a deity's interaction is narrow? Should I lack belief in the ability to observe a deity's interaction?

Where am I claiming this deity is omnipotent, or can't make himself known to us? This is your angle, not mine. My question to you based atheist's obsessive pseudo request for evidence presumes he MUST be observable. You cannot conceive otherwise, it's geocentrism from a different perspective.

Quote:I didn't say anything about beyond the universe. I said that if you claim we can't know if there is a god, you rule out all omnipotence. Since if a god were omnipotent, he would be able to do anything, including making himself known to us. By the very nature of your claim that we can't know god, you imply that god cannot be omnipotent. That seems like a claim of knowledge to me.

Why would he make himself known to us? I'm not saying he's omnipotent at all.
You're so typical of atheists, look at you attempting to shift any form of burden onto me.

Quote:Also, even if a god weren't omnipotent, but able to interact with the observable universe, he could potentially be observed interacting with the universe. These observations could lead us to knowledge of the existence of said god.
He could potentially, but why work on the assumption unless there is proof otherwise? You're putting man on the same level as a potential creator of the universe.

Quote:You may concede and admit that we may be able to know. It would be a more reasonable stance than your unfounded claim that we cannot know.

I would imagine that we would know by know. What makes you think that that's going to change? I see no reason to make that concession, what makes you assume that we can? I lack belief in believing we can assess reality as it is. What tells you we can? Science?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2014, 02:41 AM
(03-01-2014 02:17 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Next one...

I actually really enjoy watching her videos. Good choice Smile
03-01-2014, 02:41 AM
You've rendered the word agnostic pointless, thanks atheists. Who knows whether there is a god or no god? How does person "A" know there is a god, and Person "B" know there is no god?

You accuse me of getting hung up on semantics. Atheists attempt to change the definition of the word, as you don't want to justify what you think and then state I don't understand the definition It's pathetic.
03-01-2014, 02:42 AM
(03-01-2014 02:41 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 02:17 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Next one...

I actually really enjoy watching her videos. Good choice Smile

I just hope you understood what she was saying. I will guess not.
03-01-2014, 02:48 AM
(03-01-2014 02:27 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Nice, she's pretty attractive Thumbsup

Haha, and if you listen to her all the way through, she addresses agnostic atheists and agnostic theists. She identifies as an atheist (or gnostic atheist). Her beginning and end are actually a little contradictory, but near the end she was using the term agnostic correctly.

You mean how atheists have attempted to redefine the word? It's a shame most actual agnostics are so apathetic while all you burden of proof dodgers write so much bullshit that many buy it.

Your definition is for the stupid who can't process beyond a few lines. It's a fucking shame. Try looking at the history of the word first. Give it a shot, you might even learn something.Thumbsup
03-01-2014, 02:56 AM
How about you stop trying to force other people to use your definition ? Words change. Get over it.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
03-01-2014, 02:58 AM
(03-01-2014 02:29 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 11:24 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  

Quote:I didn't say anything about beyond the universe. I said that if you claim we can't know if there is a god, you rule out all omnipotence. Since if a god were omnipotent, he would be able to do anything, including making himself known to us. By the very nature of your claim that we can't know god, you imply that god cannot be omnipotent. That seems like a claim of knowledge to me.

Why would he make himself known to us? I'm not saying he's omnipotent at all.
You're so typical of atheists, look at you attempting to shift any form of burden onto me.

Quote:Also, even if a god weren't omnipotent, but able to interact with the observable universe, he could potentially be observed interacting with the universe. These observations could lead us to knowledge of the existence of said god.
He could potentially, but why work on the assumption unless there is proof otherwise? You're putting man on the same level as a potential creator of the universe.

Quote:You may concede and admit that we may be able to know. It would be a more reasonable stance than your unfounded claim that we cannot know.

I would imagine that we would know by know. What makes you think that that's going to change? I see no reason to make that concession, what makes you assume that we can? I lack belief in believing we can assess reality as it is. What tells you we can? Science?

Everything changes. We've only been taking notes for such a short time. I dont believe in god, I doubt the gods of miracles and revelations the most, but none of us are in any position to say "we cannot know" something.

For you to rule out a god actually making itself known to people, well that doesn't seem very agnostic of you.

I'm an atheist, but if we legitimately found out that god existed, I wouldn't be saying "bullshit, brownshirt says we cannot know."

Its like you're in this bubble, refusing possibilities for no reason. "NO! THERE WILL BE NO PROOF" The agnosticism around here is more of a "I dont believe, but I'm open to legitimate proof"
03-01-2014, 02:59 AM
(03-01-2014 02:42 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 02:41 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I actually really enjoy watching her videos. Good choice Smile

I just hope you understood what she was saying. I will guess not.

1) you are a jackass
I don't care if you are agnostic, agnostic atheist, atheist, agnostic theist, or theist. I truly do not care. Words are always going to be defined differently be different people in different places. She is right that how a word is used is a lot more important than it's dictionary definition (imagine the surprise in my high school youth group when the foreign exchange girl told us she was gay, imagine her surprise when she realized she had essentially told us she was homosexual). Yes, because if this the meaning of different words constantly changes and yes, sometimes words become meaningless or useless because of how they've changed or how similar words have changed.

2) I seriously do not like people like you. You missed the most important quote in the whole thread. She is complaining that people accuse her of being agnostic when she considers herself to be just atheist. (So it goes both ways) and then she says something completely inspiring. Something that I hope you will take to heart once I point it out to you. "Let it go, and chill the fuck out"
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
03-01-2014, 03:12 AM
(28-12-2013 12:36 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  1. Why do you have an active lack of belief? The position comes across as one who wants to be recognised as one who negates any form of god but not have to prove anything.

2. What is the purpose of atheism?

3. Why believe evidence is (or will be) available to confirm or negate a god?

1. I have lack of belief because till now nothing can convince me the presence of God. I have read sacred texts from many religions and all seemed to be illogical fairytale.

2. The purpose of atheism is being rational with life. Fooling self with a bunch of fairytales seem like life lead in works of fiction.

3. God is a human imagination, different humans with different kind of imagination have different kinds of Gods and all those Gods/Goddesses are nothing more than fantasy.
[+] 1 user Likes Menhit's post
03-01-2014, 03:20 AM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2014 03:28 AM by houseofcantor.)
(03-01-2014 02:41 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  You've rendered the word agnostic pointless, thanks atheists.

[Image: youre_welcome_4661.jpg]

(29-12-2013 02:16 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  A strong agnostic would say, "I cannot know whether a deity exists or not, and neither can you."

...which makes the qualifier "agnostic" trivial, thus pointless. Yay! We agree. Now, screw. Dodgy

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post