3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
03-01-2014, 02:55 PM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(03-01-2014 02:52 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 02:47 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I thought I'd pop in to see how this thread was cooking...

Oh!

see post #67
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...sts?page=4

Carry on.

Well, you're here, now. Bring any of those ladies?

I don't know if ... I mean ... I don't believe I ...

Hang on, yes.

How many do you want?

Cool

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2014, 02:57 PM
(03-01-2014 02:55 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 02:52 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Well, you're here, now. Bring any of those ladies?

I don't know if ... I mean ... I don't believe I ...

Hang on, yes.

How many do you want?

Cool

Hmmm…. never did have an asian fetish. Don't get me wrong, they are beautiful, but ya got any plump redheads? Drooling

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
03-01-2014, 03:06 PM
(03-01-2014 01:08 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 02:58 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Everything changes. We've only been taking notes for such a short time. I dont believe in god, I doubt the gods of miracles and revelations the most, but none of us are in any position to say "we cannot know" something.

Ok then prove that we can know.

I didn't claim we CAN know. I claimed that we might be able to know. Youre the one making a claim that we CANNOT know. I found it odd that an agnostic would be so certain that we cannot know something.

You do go on to admit that if evidence were found, you would reassess... So why claim we cannot know? It seems to be a claim from gnosis.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
03-01-2014, 03:09 PM
(03-01-2014 02:57 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 02:55 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I don't know if ... I mean ... I don't believe I ...

Hang on, yes.

How many do you want?

Cool

Hmmm…. never did have an asian fetish. Don't get me wrong, they are beautiful, but ya got any plump redheads? Drooling

[Image: evolution-life-time-woman-human-nature-o...509581.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
03-01-2014, 04:48 PM
(03-01-2014 08:22 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 02:41 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I actually really enjoy watching her videos. Good choice Smile

I might actually watch it then if it's good L&I ... I just didn't bother because I thought it was more of his hipnostic propaganda.

I know you can't understand but atheists have attempted to change what agnosticism is. So you'd be the hipster my slow friend.
03-01-2014, 04:51 PM
(03-01-2014 03:06 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 01:08 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Ok then prove that we can know.

I didn't claim we CAN know. I claimed that we might be able to know. Youre the one making a claim that we CANNOT know. I found it odd that an agnostic would be so certain that we cannot know something.

You do go on to admit that if evidence were found, you would reassess... So why claim we cannot know? It seems to be a claim from gnosis.

I lack belief that we can know.

Could you not know but believe? Or know but not believe?
03-01-2014, 04:54 PM
(03-01-2014 02:08 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 02:36 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Oh oh you just made a claim of "there is no alternative to death". Proof please.

Prove that there is no alternative to death? I'm pretty sure that, at this point, the eventual death rate for EVERYTHING is 100%. Have I missed something? Are there people out there who just plain don't die, and it didn't make the news? Hell, let's go really big time! What about stars? Any stars that we are aware of, which, based on what we know about the "lives" of stars are not likely to "die"? You ask me to prove that things die? "there is no alternative to death". suggests that you think their is one. If YOU can PROVE such an alternative (Which would be eternal life, right?) You would be the most famous man in the world! And I would, humbly, thank you!

I will guess you're attempting to dodge the question or are just stupid.

One day an atheist will claim something. Why are you so active about lacking belief and claiming nothing? Your dependence on theism is disturbing.
03-01-2014, 05:01 PM
(03-01-2014 02:08 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 01:59 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Yep as I said previously, if enough people misuse it the definition changes. I blame the internet. Too many people with low intellect with a very vocal opinion.

You keep spouting off about the history of a word and what it really "means".

The definition of the word "atheism" hasn't ever changed. It's been misused plenty, as evidenced by you in this thread, but the definition of the word has stayed the same since it was first made up.

You lose. Go away.

I see why you're lost we've been talking about agnosticism. Good on you for trying though.
03-01-2014, 05:06 PM
(03-01-2014 02:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 01:59 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Yep as I said previously, if enough people misuse it the definition changes. I blame the internet. Too many people with low intellect with a very vocal opinion.

The Oxford Dictionary says:
Agnostic: a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

Do you agree with that definition?

I think your issue is with the word 'atheist'. The Oxford says:
Atheist: a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods:he is a committed atheist

You will note that there are two positions stated in that definition, disbelief and lack of belief - they're not the same.

Yes I do agree with that definition. I don't buy the lack of belief position. Atheists want to reject a god but don't want to justify it.
03-01-2014, 05:20 PM
(03-01-2014 05:06 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Atheists want to reject a god but don't want to justify it.

[Image: wikipedian_protester.png]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]