3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
28-12-2013, 11:19 AM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(28-12-2013 11:14 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Is your avatar a masturbating robot?
What ? no its just a robot trampling a DMV Blink

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes IndianAtheist's post
28-12-2013, 11:31 AM
(28-12-2013 10:22 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(28-12-2013 06:32 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  ...
drunk orgies

Yup, that's why I joined up.

Still waiting.

I coulda told 'em that for $50!

So someone actually paid almost 2 million pounds to validate the ad populum fallacy.
Wow. Awesome use of funds.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
28-12-2013, 11:33 AM
(28-12-2013 11:14 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Is your avatar a masturbating robot?

You never watched Megas XLR? I pity you. We dig giant robots.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
28-12-2013, 12:00 PM
(28-12-2013 03:33 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  As an agnostic, I don't believe nor do I disbelieve, I really do not know what to believe.
That's silly. If you don't believe then you disbelieve, there isn't an in between.
If you are unsure, if you don't know then you lack a believe.
Lack of belief = disbelief.

Are you afraid of the atheist label?
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
28-12-2013, 12:12 PM (This post was last modified: 28-12-2013 07:46 PM by WindyCityJazz.)
(28-12-2013 12:36 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  1. Why do you have an active lack of belief? The position comes across as one who wants to be recognised as one who negates any form of god but not have to prove

2. What is the purpose of atheism?

3. Why believe evidence is (or will be) available to confirm or negate a god?

1. Because when I did believe I realized that religions were constantly ignoring or skewing facts that did not fall in line with their beliefs, so it drove me away from religion. "You mean there is evidence for evolution? Ha! We don't need no stinking evidence to prove our god exists! It's up to them to disprove it! Until then we can substitute any bullshit for reality that we want to make it fit in with our religious beliefs!"

2. There is no purpose. It's simply the lack of belief in the existence of deities. Nothing more, nothing less. There is absolutely no other requirement. You can disagree with another atheist on every other topic you could come up with. So long as you don't believe in the existence of a deity, you're both still atheists. You creationists seem to have this idea that atheists created some club with their own set of rules on what you have to believe.

3. I don't worry about evidence being available. If somebody can use actual evidence to prove that not only does a God exist, but that THEIR god exists, then I'll give their beliefs serious consideration. Until then the existence of all deities will sit in the same box as fairies, leprechauns, and unicorns. Creationists' "evidence" is always the same thing: regurgitating the garbage that they have been indoctrinated with since day one, offering no real evidence of their claims. Creationists don't get to use dogmatic garbage with no evidence and say "You can't disprove me, therefore my assumptions carry the same validity as science!"

For example, a man is found murdered in a field. The police have no idea who committed the murder, or why.
I go and say "That man was murdered by the evil god Loki!"
The cops say "Do you have any evidence that this evil god exists, let alone evidence that he killed this man?"
I say "No, but you have no evidence for any other person killing him, and you can't disprove Loki's existence, therefore my claim is just as valid as anything else!"

Do you not see the ridiculousness of this situation? Yet, creationists use this same ridiculous method of reasoning, and they think it's perfectly logical. It boggles my mind.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
28-12-2013, 12:12 PM
(28-12-2013 03:09 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(28-12-2013 01:06 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'm more agnostic when it comes to god(s). I can't prove Zeus didn't exist.

That is an atheist argument to me. I am agnostic and don't use examples of being unable to disprove defined historical gods, fairies, leprechauns et al to prove a point.
The inability to disprove a negative assumes its conclusion.

Does this mean that George Washington can shoot lasers from his eyes and that all of the gods simultaneously exist? Also, are you, and every person on the planet a terrorist?

I'm glad you didn't create the framework of our criminal justice system.
28-12-2013, 12:41 PM
(28-12-2013 11:19 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  
What ? no its just a robot trampling a DMV Blink

I thought it was a robot with chewing gum on the bottom of his foot. Smile

Brownshirt admits to being agnostic, and that's a good description of his/her questions, though the "active lack of belief" phrase made me think of someone who is "actively sedentary", or "jumbo shrimp". Laughat

"Nothing I do will be good enough for you ... so I will be good enough to do nothing for you." - Morey Amsterdam
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like getReal's post
28-12-2013, 12:58 PM
(28-12-2013 12:00 PM)Stevil Wrote:  That's silly. If you don't believe then you disbelieve, there isn't an in between.
If you are unsure, if you don't know then you lack a believe.
Lack of belief = disbelief.
Are you afraid of the atheist label?
I think she's an Agnostic atheist.

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
28-12-2013, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Quote:3. Why do believe evidence is (or will be) available to confirm or negate a god?

I dont even need evidence.

Even if god would exist I would reject him. All gods that I have read about are totalitarian fascists and I am a republican (in the European sense).

I also agree with the above response - even if there was evidence for God, he should be rejected as a personal deity - he is not fit to worship.

Every 45 seconds a child dies of Malaria, children are born with harlequins Ichtheosis and anencephaly (horrific congenital defects) and the list of God's tyrannical atrocities are virtually endless making him in charge of the worlds greatest concentration camp Gulag. [b] See Bart Ehrmans God's Problem How the Bible Fails to Answer Our Most Important Question--why We Suffer
[/b]

Promises of a glorious afterlife are shallow and empty and cannot be seen as justice, especially if not revealed to us at the present.
In an analogy - it is fine for a surgeon to inflict great harm, knowing who he is & the outcomes of the procedure are for greater benefit & regaining health - the same does not apply to God who no one has met, we don't see the outcomes and we have natural explanations for the savage & torturous diseases without requiring God as an explanation.

Of course an impersonal God could exist such as laid out by Spinoza. Non of what I wrote above applies to a Spinozian God or perhaps even the concepts of Plotinus. However the impersonal God is not "worshipped" or "Prayed to" and is complete heresy to Islam & Christianity.
28-12-2013, 01:20 PM
(28-12-2013 12:36 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  1. Why do you have an active lack of belief? The position comes across as one who wants to be recognised as one who negates any form of god but not have to prove anything.

By active lack of belief do you mean active in forums and such?

At its most fundamental, atheism is nothing more than not being convinced that the claims that gods exist have met their burden of proof.

Quote:2. What is the purpose of atheism?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'purpose' in this context.

It makes just as much sense to say 'what is the purpose of not believing in bigfoot'.

My atheism is a natural extension of my skepticism. I care whether my beliefs are true, or at least likely to be true. The single best way to determine this is by basing beliefs on: demonstrable, verifiable evidence, reasoned argument and valid/sound logic.

Unless a claim meets the above criteria, I am not justified to believe it.

Quote:3. Why believe evidence is (or will be) available to confirm or negate a god?

It may never be available. But we still have to base our beliefs on something.

There may never be evidence available to confirm or negate that there are giant, galactic, transcendental, penguins that crap out stars either. I'll bet you don't believe in them, right?
[+] 5 users Like Simon Moon's post