3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
03-01-2014, 05:22 PM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(03-01-2014 05:01 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 02:08 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  You keep spouting off about the history of a word and what it really "means".

The definition of the word "atheism" hasn't ever changed. It's been misused plenty, as evidenced by you in this thread, but the definition of the word has stayed the same since it was first made up.

You lose. Go away.

I see why you're lost we've been talking about agnosticism. Good on you for trying though.

Oh really?? So you accept our definition of atheism and reject our definition of agnosticism (which happens to be the exact definition you told us you use).
Hmmm interesting it seems like you're just changing things up so you won't have to justify your refusal to have a real debate instead of just throwing out insults at everyone who says you're wrong....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
03-01-2014, 05:24 PM
(03-01-2014 05:01 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 02:08 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  You keep spouting off about the history of a word and what it really "means".

The definition of the word "atheism" hasn't ever changed. It's been misused plenty, as evidenced by you in this thread, but the definition of the word has stayed the same since it was first made up.

You lose. Go away.

I see why you're lost we've been talking about agnosticism. Good on you for trying though.

Dom, the cheese, please.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
03-01-2014, 05:30 PM
Yes where is Dom? We definitely need cheese here

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
03-01-2014, 05:39 PM
(03-01-2014 05:06 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 02:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  The Oxford Dictionary says:
Agnostic: a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

Do you agree with that definition?

I think your issue is with the word 'atheist'. The Oxford says:
Atheist: a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods:he is a committed atheist

You will note that there are two positions stated in that definition, disbelief and lack of belief - they're not the same.

Yes I do agree with that definition. I don't buy the lack of belief position. Atheists want to reject a god but don't want to justify it.

You don't want to accept the definition from The Oxford English Dictionary?

Too fucking bad - you're an idiot. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
03-01-2014, 05:42 PM
(03-01-2014 05:20 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 05:06 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Atheists want to reject a god but don't want to justify it.

[Image: wikipedian_protester.png]

You expect dawkins etc to have written that?

Don't you want to reject a god?
03-01-2014, 05:44 PM
(03-01-2014 05:42 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 05:20 PM)Vosur Wrote:  [Image: wikipedian_protester.png]

Cheese
03-01-2014, 05:45 PM
(03-01-2014 05:42 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 05:20 PM)Vosur Wrote:  [Image: wikipedian_protester.png]

The very reason that I am an atheist is because I wanted to find god. Very many of us are atheists for this very reason. Thanks for your generalization about all atheists, it shows that you've really thought about what you're saying.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
03-01-2014, 05:53 PM
(03-01-2014 05:45 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 05:42 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  You expect dawkins etc to have written that?

The very reason that I am an atheist is because I wanted to find god. Very many of us are atheists for this very reason. Thanks for your generalization about all atheists, it shows that you've really thought about what you're saying.

So you're angry you didn't? What is the point otherwise?
03-01-2014, 05:56 PM
(03-01-2014 05:53 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 05:45 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  The very reason that I am an atheist is because I wanted to find god. Very many of us are atheists for this very reason. Thanks for your generalization about all atheists, it shows that you've really thought about what you're saying.

So you're angry you didn't? What is the point otherwise?

Don't be an idiot. I'm not angry, actually once I got over the shock I was quite relieved. I'm simply comfortable accepting that I am what I am. I don't have a belief in god. I'm an atheist. That's what it means.

Why are you so afraid of reality?

~ Umberto Eco
03-01-2014, 05:58 PM
(03-01-2014 05:42 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Don't you want to reject a god?
No. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]