3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
04-01-2014, 11:26 PM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(04-01-2014 10:51 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(04-01-2014 10:14 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I am just me. I only laugh at people who amuse me.

That's such a typical bullshit answer, if you're going to rationalise your perspective and pretend that it shows you to "not know" try not to be amused by something which you don't know.

Where is your brain, love? I have never claimed to rationalize my perspective. I never said it shows me to "not know" or to know. I have given you very little information about my beliefs and/or lack of beliefs. This is mostly because it's none of your business. You're the one who is attacking me. I have laughed at you, but I have not laughed at your beliefs. I don't generally go around laughing at or being amused by other people's beliefs. I am a very laid back and tolerant person. However, since you insist, I will tell you my stance.

I lack belief in any deities.
I have what you like to call an "active disbelief" in the Christian god, the Jewish god, and the Islamic god (sure sure whatever they're the same god).
My "justification" for this disbelief is not that I have any evidence to disprove this god. My justification is that I have read most of the bible, some of the tanakh, and some of the Quran. After reading what I have read, I decided that I absolutely refuse to believe in the existence of a god that is love and yet is capable of hatred, a god who encourages slavery, rape, and murder, a god who is all knowing and all powerful yet allows so much suffering of the people he "loves", and on and on and on. Do I have evidence no I do not. Will I tell you that you have no right to believe in such a god no I will not. But I will not believe.
If you aren't satisfied with this answer then you can just shove off.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2014, 11:39 PM
[Image: 1331333667763.png]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 4 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
04-01-2014, 11:51 PM
NO!...
[Image: HateTML.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
04-01-2014, 11:55 PM
(04-01-2014 10:55 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(04-01-2014 10:16 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I guess it depends on what type of fairies you're referring to. I assume you're using "you" as a general term?

I think he's being defensive 'cause he's a fairy.

[Image: h33648937]

(04-01-2014 10:51 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  That's such a typical bullshit answer, if you're going to rationalise your perspective and pretend that it shows you to "not know" try not to be amused by something which you don't know.

[Image: 01789707.jpg]

Laughat You think it's dramatic to ask you to justify a nonsensical perspective?
05-01-2014, 12:03 AM
(04-01-2014 11:55 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(04-01-2014 10:55 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  I think he's being defensive 'cause he's a fairy.

Laughat You think it's dramatic to ask you to justify a nonsensical perspective?

More dramatics

[Image: the-Wicker-Man-6.jpg]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
05-01-2014, 12:10 AM
(04-01-2014 11:26 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(04-01-2014 10:51 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  That's such a typical bullshit answer, if you're going to rationalise your perspective and pretend that it shows you to "not know" try not to be amused by something which you don't know.

I have rationalized my position, you have chosen to ignore it and continue to strawman and pretend to know who I am and what I think.

I don't claim to "know" anything. I never have. I don't proselytize. When it comes to my atheism, I am very much in the closet in my daily life because it's not a good idea for me to come out. This is not a fun way to live, but it seems that the religious will not "fuck off and let people be" so I don't have a better choice. But I live with it. Silently.

My stance on whether or not there is a supreme being is agnostic. From what studying and research I have done on the subject, I have come to the conclusion that all forms of gods described by today's religions are obviously manmade and cannot be true. If I have no coherent concept of a god to hold true, I cannot honestly "believe" in a god.

By definition this makes me an atheist. It is definitely not a position that I set out to hold. I, much like you, held some misguided preconceptions about what that means. As I studied further, I began to realize that the word atheism doesn't in any way shape or define who or what a person is. It's merely a word that describes my position on whether or not there is a god. It is not a "gnostic" position. It makes no claims about me other than that I make no claim that there is a god.

This place is an outlet. It is a sanctuary for me to come to trade ideas and life experiences and frustrations with people who understand where I am coming from. That's it. This forum does not exist to goad theists. This place exists for us to be able to have a respite from the daily grind of trying to ignore the religiosity that is ground in our faces day after day that we can't speak out against.

That's the only reason I am here. Yet here you are, telling me to stop being something that I'm not. Sorry that I take a little offense to that.

I am glad that there are those who elsewhere take the "fight" to the people. It's about time someone did. Rights and equality for all opinions have never made progress unless the oppressed started standing up and pissing off those who unfairly make the rules. I'm not sorry that the argument is being made. It's the only way for humanity to start respecting each other as they should.

You talk about us respecting that we can't "know" if there is a god. I do respect that. Please link me to a religious forum that you belong to that you are making the same belligerent arguments and I'll leave you alone. That would only be fair, would it not?

You're welcome to reject a god, just don't pretend you don't makes own assumptions.

The irony of your post, is that the only reason I'm here is I'm sick of atheists claiming themselves to be the only rational people around despite their inherent lack of ability to identify any flaw in their own position. Reading Kant would help.

If you choose to identify with a group some of which are activist then it's obvious to expect some backlash from the arrogance this group put out. Kinda like theists, ironic huh? Dawkins and Hitchens are prime examples of this.
05-01-2014, 12:11 AM
(04-01-2014 11:55 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(04-01-2014 10:55 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  I think he's being defensive 'cause he's a fairy.

You got a real answer from Evenheathen and me, and yet this is the only thing you respond to. Oh how surprising...
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
05-01-2014, 12:12 AM
(05-01-2014 12:03 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(04-01-2014 11:55 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Laughat You think it's dramatic to ask you to justify a nonsensical perspective?

More dramatics

Big Grin It's a strawman to claim your perspective is nonsensical, now I see why you're confused. Keep posting the accusation though, it's amusing.
05-01-2014, 12:13 AM
(05-01-2014 12:12 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(05-01-2014 12:03 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  More dramatics

Big Grin It's a strawman to claim your perspective is nonsensical, now I see why you're confused. Keep posting the accusation though, it's amusing.

Ugh, cheese
05-01-2014, 12:18 AM
(05-01-2014 12:11 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(04-01-2014 11:55 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Laughat You think it's dramatic to ask you to justify a nonsensical perspective?

You got a real answer from Evenheathen and me, and yet this is the only thing you respond to. Oh how surprising...

Weeping