3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
07-01-2014, 09:39 AM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(07-01-2014 02:34 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 02:31 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  You can project as much you want, i'm really not angry.

I find your perspective very odd. Why claim agnosticism when you're using what you don't know to justify your lack of belief. It merges knowledge and belief to the point of being the same, therefore differentiating between them is pointless.

I'm pretty much convinced that most atheists use the tag atheist to oppose religion rather than using it as philosophical standpoint as it's redundant otherwise.

C'maaahhhnn... Maybe its not always about you. Maybe I was noting Taqs aggressive behavior.

[Image: Punctuation+_7252c96ea0264de2cf0e160c4e719a20.jpg]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
07-01-2014, 10:45 AM
And round and round we go...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
07-01-2014, 11:18 AM
Brownshirt,

I'm coming into this a bit late. Can you clarify the following for me:
You call yourself agnostic because you don't see any reason for rejecting any honestly held belief, eg you don't see why you should be incredulous of the superstitions of ancient ignorant goat herders.
You reject a definition of atheism that equates it with having no belief in any deity.
You reject a definition of agnosticism that equates it with not having knowledge of the existence or nonexistence of any deity.
You want atheist to be a term defined by its critics as people who assert absolute knowledge of the non-existence of any deity.
You want agnosticism to be noncommittal on the question of any god or gods, neither believing or disbelieving.
You don't distinguish between believing and knowing anything.
You reject the right of someone who does not believe in any deity to call themselves atheist unless they have some absolute proof of the nonexistence of all deities.
You reject the right of someone who does not believe in any deity to call themselves agnostic because they actively disbelieve.
You consider use of the term atheist extremely impolite and unwarranted.
You consider the use of the term agnostic philosophically impure and incorrect in most cases.

Am I am on the right track here?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
07-01-2014, 11:22 AM
(07-01-2014 11:18 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Brownshirt,

I'm coming into this a bit late. Can you clarify the following for me:
You call yourself agnostic because you don't see any reason for rejecting any honestly held belief, eg you don't see why you should be incredulous of the superstitions of ancient ignorant goat herders.
You reject a definition of atheism that equates it with having no belief in any deity.
You reject a definition of agnosticism that equates it with not having knowledge of the existence or nonexistence of any deity.
You want atheist to be a term defined by its critics as people who assert absolute knowledge of the non-existence of any deity.
You want agnosticism to be noncommittal on the question of any god or gods, neither believing or disbelieving.
You don't distinguish between believing and knowing anything.
You reject the right of someone who does not believe in any deity to call themselves atheist unless they have some absolute proof of the nonexistence of all deities.
You reject the right of someone who does not believe in any deity to call themselves agnostic because they actively disbelieve.
You consider use of the term atheist extremely impolite and unwarranted.
You consider the use of the term agnostic philosophically impure and incorrect in most cases.

Am I am on the right track here?

Basically, there's no winning with this guy.
07-01-2014, 12:32 PM
(07-01-2014 03:24 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I say what I mean. Our being atheist pisses you off because it somehow renders your being agnostic as useless. I have been paying attention, have you?

You clearly haven't. Claiming that you are an agnostic atheist pisses me off based on the mispresentation of agnosticism. Claiming atheism is an odd position unless you want to oppose theists. Claiming agnostics as they don't believe demonstrates that you don't understand what an agnostic is.
07-01-2014, 12:37 PM
Why is there a thread with over 600 posts arguing about something that is clearly stated in any dictionary?

Shocking

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
07-01-2014, 12:41 PM
(07-01-2014 12:32 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 03:24 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I say what I mean. Our being atheist pisses you off because it somehow renders your being agnostic as useless. I have been paying attention, have you?

You clearly haven't. Claiming that you are an agnostic atheist pisses me off based on the mispresentation of agnosticism. Claiming atheism is an odd position unless you want to oppose theists. Claiming agnostics as they don't believe demonstrates that you don't understand what an agnostic is.
Oh you. I don't know = agnostic, I don't believe = atheist
As I am not all knowing, I don't know if there is a god for sure and I don't think I will ever know. Although, I have no evidence to prove there is no god I still do not believe in any god.
I will choose to call myself agnostic atheist. I don't really care how you feel about it.

Ok I lied...I really do hope that it grates your nerves. Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
07-01-2014, 12:42 PM
(07-01-2014 12:32 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  

[Image: A3ynmDOCUAA6gQT.jpg:large]

ALSO: "a-theism" literally means "without theism" or "not theism". The prefix "a-" literally means "without" or "not". It does NOT mean "opposed to". What part of this do you stubbornly refuse to understand.

You seem to have severe control and anger issues. You should get help for them.

07-01-2014, 12:42 PM
Haha, Dom. There is no reasonable explanation for the existence or persistence of this thread.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 4 users Like Adrianime's post
07-01-2014, 12:45 PM
(07-01-2014 12:37 PM)Dom Wrote:  Why is there a thread with over 600 posts arguing about something that is clearly stated in any dictionary?

Shocking

[Image: cat-and-mouse-2_2054861i.jpg]