3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
07-01-2014, 12:53 PM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(07-01-2014 12:42 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Haha, Dom. There is no reasonable explanation for the existence or persistence of this thread.

But... I'm having fun
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
07-01-2014, 01:02 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2014 01:06 PM by Adrianime.)
(07-01-2014 12:53 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 12:42 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Haha, Dom. There is no reasonable explanation for the existence or persistence of this thread.

But... I'm having fun
No reason aside from that Tongue.

I guess what I mean is that there is an asymptote between the resolution of this thread regarding the OP and the comments that the forum members make. Thumbsup

Screw it that doesn't make as much sense as I thought. Oh well Smile haha.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
07-01-2014, 01:08 PM
So...who here thinks Brownshirt is the type to try to argue that atheism is a religion? Laughat

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
07-01-2014, 01:13 PM
I don't know if he would, but I think he just hates everyone lol

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
07-01-2014, 01:14 PM
(07-01-2014 01:08 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  So...who here thinks Brownshirt is the type to try to argue that atheism is a religion? Laughat

Well seeing he seems to think he owns the English language...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
07-01-2014, 01:19 PM
(07-01-2014 11:18 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Brownshirt,

I'm coming into this a bit late. Can you clarify the following for me:
You call yourself agnostic because you don't see any reason for rejecting any honestly held belief, eg you don't see why you should be incredulous of the superstitions of ancient ignorant goat herders.
No I'm agnostic as I see no reason to be certain in being bale to prove or disprove a deity. I consider equating a deity to a fairy as implying certainty, but not having to prove it.

Quote:You reject a definition of atheism that equates it with having no belief in any deity.[quote]
No I reject identifying as an atheist, as it's solely a response to the theist position. It would make more to be labelled as an anti-theist, as the majority of atheists are.

[quote]You want atheist to be a term defined by its critics as people who assert absolute knowledge of the non-existence of any deity.
No, I see no purpose as identifying as someone who lacks belief unless you have an ulterior motive (e.g. anti-theist)

Quote:You want agnosticism to be noncommittal on the question of any god or gods, neither believing or disbelieving.

Mainly because that's what it is, and historically has been. Atheists attempt to use it as a semantic dodge to being unable to knowing that a negative doesn't exist (e.g deity, santa, fairy etc). It's an assumption to claim this.

Quote:You don't distinguish between believing and knowing anything.
No, as outlined in Kant's critique of pure reason man's limits towards metaphysics needs to be recognised, trying to rationalise beyond that (as I see atheists attempting to do) is futile and mostly an attempt to justify their position and make it sound while still claiming to reject a deity.

Quote:You reject the right of someone who does not believe in any deity to call themselves atheist unless they have some absolute proof of the nonexistence of all deities.

I don't see the point in calling yourself something based on someone else's claim (i.e theists) unless you want to piss them off. I'm not asking for proof of non-existence of deities, I'm asking for proof that we can prove a cause for existence (note this does not mean the cause for the big bang as atheists often like to intertwine existence and the big bang)

Quote:You reject the right of someone who does not believe in any deity to call themselves agnostic because they actively consider use of the term atheist extremely impolite and unwarranted.

Yes, mainly because this is solely an atheistic perspective. You will note that you're focussing on the "does not believe" part, an actual agnostic would also state "does not disbelieve". Your focus is incorrect for an agnostic.

Quote:Am I am on the right track here?
Not really.
07-01-2014, 01:21 PM
(07-01-2014 12:37 PM)Dom Wrote:  Why is there a thread with over 600 posts arguing about something that is clearly stated in any dictionary?

Shocking

Mainly because you don't understand what it is.
07-01-2014, 01:24 PM
I'm surprised here that many find an agnostic's perspective surprising. Given agnostics and even some atheists agree with me. You lot need to get out more.
07-01-2014, 01:25 PM
(07-01-2014 01:21 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 12:37 PM)Dom Wrote:  Why is there a thread with over 600 posts arguing about something that is clearly stated in any dictionary?

Shocking

Mainly because you don't understand what it is.

You're cute. Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
07-01-2014, 01:26 PM
(07-01-2014 01:24 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  I'm surprised here that many find an agnostic's perspective surprising. Given agnostics and even some atheists agree with me. You lot need to get out more.

Yes, there are idiots in all walks of life my friend. Glad you found some like minded people to delude yourself with. You do you, I ain't mad.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post