3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
07-01-2014, 01:26 PM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
Can anyone here explain why they believe that the reason for existence cannot be known, but asks for proof of a deity?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2014, 01:28 PM
(07-01-2014 01:26 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 01:24 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  I'm surprised here that many find an agnostic's perspective surprising. Given agnostics and even some atheists agree with me. You lot need to get out more.

Yes, there are idiots in all walks of life my friend. Glad you found some like minded people to delude yourself with. You do you, I ain't mad.
I see what you did there. Justifying your perspective by calling me deluded, very clever.Rolleyes
[+] 1 user Likes Brownshirt's post
07-01-2014, 01:29 PM
(07-01-2014 01:26 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Can anyone here explain why they believe that the reason for existence cannot be known, but asks for proof of a deity?

But.... I don't necessarily believe that it "can't" be known, and I don't ask for proof of a deity. If there is any proof, let me know. For now I think it's highly unlikely given the lack of evidence. I'm okay with that.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
07-01-2014, 01:34 PM
(07-01-2014 01:26 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Can anyone here explain why they believe that the reason for existence cannot be known, but asks for proof of a deity?

Umm I don't believe that it cannot be known. I believe that it is not known.
I don't ask for proof of a deity, but I believe that if a deity existed the proof would be so obvious that everyone could see it without needing to look for it or have it pointed out to them.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
07-01-2014, 01:35 PM
The reason for existence cannot be known BECAUSE there is no proof of a deity. They go hand in hand. If existence has a reason, it would take a deity to explain it.

I suppose that does depend on what you mean by reason, though. If, by reason, you mean "purpose," then we need a deity to explain it. There being no proof of a deity, anyone's guess as to purpose is a guess. If there is no deity, there is no purpose. We're just here. Enjoy it.

But if by reason you mean "what is the explanation for the fact of our existence," we can answer the question to an extent. Big bang, cosmology, star formation, planet formation, abiogenesis, evolution... We can track how we got here. But purpose? Not unless someone was behind it, and there's no proof anyone was.
07-01-2014, 01:36 PM
(07-01-2014 01:29 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  

But.... I don't necessarily believe that it "can't" be known, and I don't ask for proof of a deity. If there is any proof, let me know. For now I think it's highly unlikely given the lack of evidence. I'm okay with that.

Then Jesus Christ man just admit that you're an agnostic. Because MY DEFINITION IS THE ONLY ONE THAT IS RIGHT AND MY PANTIES ARE ITCHY.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
07-01-2014, 01:36 PM
(07-01-2014 01:29 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  

How are you able to determine what is "highly unlikely"? Or why have you decided that you can. You assume too much, hence you're not agnostic at all.
07-01-2014, 01:39 PM
(07-01-2014 01:36 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 01:29 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  But.... I don't necessarily believe that it "can't" be known, and I don't ask for proof of a deity. If there is any proof, let me know. For now I think it's highly unlikely given the lack of evidence. I'm okay with that.

How are you able to determine what is "highly unlikely"? Or why have you decided that you can. You assume too much, hence you're not agnostic at all.

From what I've experienced and studied. That's really all I have to go on, like anybody else. Atheism is the conclusion I have thus far arrived at.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
07-01-2014, 01:43 PM

07-01-2014, 01:44 PM
Jesus christ, more youtube shit. I'm headed back to work now brownie, I might watch it later.

~ Umberto Eco