3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
07-01-2014, 02:33 PM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(07-01-2014 01:26 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Can anyone here explain why they believe that the reason for existence cannot be known,

This question is so full of FAIL it's difficult to know where to begin.

Has anyone actually claimed "the reason for existence cannot be known"?

And what is this "reason for existence" business? There are so many underlying assumptions to this phrase that it becomes meaningless. It's a Many Questions Fallacy, a Presumption Fallacy, and a fallacy of Infinite regression, all rolled up into two words. Also a Strawman (see above) and a Red Herring.

For there to be a "reason for existence", then there would have to be some entity that provided said "reason", and that entity would itself exist, and need a "reason for existence", which some other entity would have to have provided, and THAT entity would also have to have a "reason for existence", and it's fucking turtles all the way down. Infinite loop fatal error Danger Will Robertson your CPU is beginning to smoke!

Quote: but asks for proof of a deity?

Basic Logic 101: Assert a claim, be prepared to give evidence to support it.

hth fucking moron.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2014, 02:33 PM
Brownshirt, I hereby appoint Sovby as your sensei.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
07-01-2014, 02:34 PM
Dom, he's just scared of the word atheist and won't admit it.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
07-01-2014, 02:34 PM
(07-01-2014 02:32 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Alright....and you've lost my interest by not really answering...anything, again.

Oh well, was good while it lasted.

So I was meant to know what you were asking, despite Christians have differing views on the questions you asked? Bizarre.
07-01-2014, 02:37 PM
Guys, please -_-
Don't you know that BS is the all-knowing expert of his own made up definitions?
How could you guys miss that part?

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
07-01-2014, 02:40 PM
(07-01-2014 02:33 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 01:26 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Can anyone here explain why they believe that the reason for existence cannot be known,

This question is so full of FAIL it's difficult to know where to begin.

Has anyone actually claimed "the reason for existence cannot be known"?

And what is this "reason for existence" business? There are so many underlying assumptions to this phrase that it becomes meaningless. It's a Many Questions Fallacy, a Presumption Fallacy, and a fallacy of Infinite regression, all rolled up into two words. Also a Strawman (see above) and a Red Herring.

For there to be a "reason for existence", then there would have to be some entity that provided said "reason", and that entity would itself exist, and need a "reason for existence", which some other entity would have to have provided, and THAT entity would also have to have a "reason for existence", and it's fucking turtles all the way down. Infinite loop fatal error Danger Will Robertson your CPU is beginning to smoke!

Quote: but asks for proof of a deity?

Basic Logic 101: Assert a claim, be prepared to give evidence to support it.

hth fucking moron.

No dummy, I haven't said there is a reason, I'm just not dismissing the possibility. Your logic works like this "anything unknowable does not exist, and we know the stuff we do know". I feel so enlightened.
You fail to believe you cannot assess things, that's where your 'logic' fucks up.

You're so afraid of making any claims you revert to an over-dependence on fairies, its funny but sad.
07-01-2014, 02:42 PM
(07-01-2014 02:28 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 02:25 PM)Dom Wrote:  Why do you care? You've started this discussion. I am just curious how people can discuss a dictionary definition for ages. But you started this - so - why do you care?

I care because atheists try to hijack the tag of agnostic, but pretend their position is sound, when it chooses a side DESPITE (not because of) the lack of evidence for any position.

That is where you are wrong. While there is no proof of either the existence or non-existence of any gods, there is a great deal of evidence against the existence of gods.

We don't know, therefore we are agnostic - a knowledge position.

I don't believe in the existence of any gods, because the evidence is strong against the existence of any - a belief position.

Therefore I am an agnostic atheist.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
07-01-2014, 02:46 PM
(07-01-2014 02:37 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Guys, please -_-
Don't you know that BS is the all-knowing expert of his own made up definitions?
How could you guys miss that part?

How did you go in school? Job? Your comprehension and ability to formulate ideas is really lacking. To the point where I would say why do you pretend you can keep up? You don't have much to say about anything.
07-01-2014, 02:47 PM
(07-01-2014 02:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 02:28 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  I care because atheists try to hijack the tag of agnostic, but pretend their position is sound, when it chooses a side DESPITE (not because of) the lack of evidence for any position.

That is where you are wrong. While there is no proof of either the existence or non-existence of any gods, there is a great deal of evidence against the existence of gods.

We don't know, therefore we are agnostic - a knowledge position.

I don't believe in the existence of any gods, because the evidence is strong against the existence of any - a belief position.

Therefore I am an agnostic atheist.

At least you're honest. Hit me up with this evidence.

At what point does belief become knowledge? And when would you know a deity doesn't exist?
07-01-2014, 03:04 PM
(07-01-2014 02:28 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 02:25 PM)Dom Wrote:  Why do you care? You've started this discussion. I am just curious how people can discuss a dictionary definition for ages. But you started this - so - why do you care?

I care because atheists try to hijack the tag of agnostic, but pretend their position is sound, when it chooses a side DESPITE (not because of) the lack of evidence for any position.

How is not believing anything hijacking the tag of agnostic? You don't make sense here. And - it doesn't answer why you care.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man