3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
28-12-2013, 09:07 PM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(28-12-2013 12:36 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  1. Why do you have an active lack of belief? The position comes across as one who wants to be recognised as one who negates any form of god but not have to prove anything.

2. What is the purpose of atheism?

3. Why believe evidence is (or will be) available to confirm or negate a god?

(28-12-2013 08:50 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(28-12-2013 08:46 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Since you asked nicely.

If someone takes offence to few questions around atheism, perhaps they shouldn't come to the internet.

I would prefer that it's not moved as I expect this is meant to be for gladiatorial combat based on the mockingbird bouncer who showed up? I'm not going to begin a shit throwing match, I can't be bothered.
To be honest, the questions were not well thought out. People have difficulty answering things that don't relate to the position at hand, they sound more like assumptions.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like grizzlysnake's post
28-12-2013, 09:11 PM
(28-12-2013 08:15 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(28-12-2013 08:07 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  What kind of question is that, really? Why do you have a lack of belief in leprechauns?

OH WAIT -- what's this "active" business? Some sort of Craig-esque word-salad trap? Non-belief is actually passive. So this is part of your game of trying to shift the burden of proof, by calling non-belief an "active lack of belief? Semantic prestidigitation much?

How about The Emperor Has No Clothes. Is that an "active" non-belief?

It's not a "position" at all. It's a non-position. Are you sure you're not The Thinking Theist in drag?

DO you know the difference between a position and a person? Doesn't look like it.

Oh, look, the perpetual xtard attempt to shift its burden of proof. FAIL.

Atheism is a non-belief in certain fairytale superstitions. It needs no "purpose".

Are you sure you're not The Thinking Theist in drag?

"Evidence? I don't need no stinking evidence."

Yeah -- and we don't need to take anything you say seriously without it, anyway.

Drinking Beverage

Seem to have hit a nerve with you.

Don't flatter yourself. I enjoy eviscerating theist trolls.

Quote:I was bored after reading your first line.

Translation from TrollSpeak: "I'm going to RUN AWAY FROM THIS ONE!!!!!"

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
28-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Nope still bored. Please begin thinking for yourself. Regurgitation is dull.
28-12-2013, 09:16 PM
(28-12-2013 09:07 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(28-12-2013 12:36 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  1. Why do you have an active lack of belief? The position comes across as one who wants to be recognised as one who negates any form of god but not have to prove anything.

2. What is the purpose of atheism?

3. Why believe evidence is (or will be) available to confirm or negate a god?

(28-12-2013 08:50 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  If someone takes offence to few questions around atheism, perhaps they shouldn't come to the internet.

I would prefer that it's not moved as I expect this is meant to be for gladiatorial combat based on the mockingbird bouncer who showed up? I'm not going to begin a shit throwing match, I can't be bothered.
To be honest, the questions were not well thought out. People have difficulty answering things that don't relate to the position at hand, they sound more like assumptions.

So you deny being an active atheist who lacks beliefs and requires evidence?
28-12-2013, 09:19 PM
(28-12-2013 08:42 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Mods,
Please move this to The Melee

Looks like a simple misunderstanding regarding definition is going to end in bloodshed

Tickets available.

[Image: Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif]

*I* want a ticket! Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
28-12-2013, 09:21 PM
(28-12-2013 09:13 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Nope still bored. Please begin thinking for yourself. Regurgitation is dull.

[Image: nou.gif]

28-12-2013, 09:33 PM
(28-12-2013 09:21 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(28-12-2013 09:13 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Nope still bored. Please begin thinking for yourself. Regurgitation is dull.

I'll give you a clue, kinda like when you fart.

You're so typical of the atheist who presents it's the us or them position, much like theists do. You and your ilk are the reason many people run a mile from atheism, mainly because you're so indoctrinated in the repetitive drivel and assumptions, which shock horror sounds like a cult.

Reactions when they go too far, they end up being strongly similar to what they're reacting against. Based on your previous posts, you won't realise this. Just keep ranting and raving with the same arguments. It's pathetic and even worse than theists the level of hypocrisy should suffocate you, but you fail to see it.
[+] 1 user Likes Brownshirt's post
28-12-2013, 09:43 PM (This post was last modified: 28-12-2013 09:48 PM by grizzlysnake.)
(28-12-2013 09:16 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(28-12-2013 09:07 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  To be honest, the questions were not well thought out. People have difficulty answering things that don't relate to the position at hand, they sound more like assumptions.

So you deny being an active atheist who lacks beliefs and requires evidence?
I lack a belief in god(s). I don't lack beliefs. Supernatural claims do require extraordinary evidence, wouldn't you agree? If there was I wouldn't be an atheist, you wouldn't be agnostic.
I don't know what you mean by "active atheist"

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
28-12-2013, 09:50 PM
(28-12-2013 07:57 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  I do lack belief in a god, but don't define myself based on what I lack belief in.

Good for you. Atheism is the dismissal of theist claims. Theists can't even coherently define what the word "god" means, which is why many here are Igtheists.

(28-12-2013 07:57 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  It seems like such a pointless endeavour. I'm sceptical to the point of being sceptical whether we will ever have any proof for existence.

"Endeavor" is not spelled that way, neither is "skeptical", and that second sentence has no meaning. Are you referring to your own existence or to that of an entity you call a "god", (but have not defined) ? Is English your first language. It appears it is not. What you think is "pointless" may not be to others. Are you always this dogmatic, and do you always impose your definitions and opinions on others ?

(28-12-2013 07:57 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  I essentially remain open to many possibilities but don't focus on lacking belief in one (or several groups) beliefs. So I stop at saying "I don't know", hence I see myself as an agnostic. It's commonly atheists who claim the lacking of belief means I'm an atheist, that's fine if that's your definition, but I really don't identify as an atheist.

Are you open to the possibility there is a teapot orbiting the sun ? The probability for that is higher than the probability of any deity yet described by humans. What you do is nice. You don''t decide what makes sense for others. What you identify with, in terms of your beliefs, is irrelevant to how others group you.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
28-12-2013, 09:55 PM
(28-12-2013 01:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-12-2013 03:09 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  The inability to disprove a negative assumes its conclusion.

It has not been disproven that P ≠ NP therefore P ≠ NP. Or did you mean "It has not been disproven that P ≠ NP therefore P = NP." In either case I'm gonna be rich and famous now! Oh yeah! Banana_zorro

argumentum ad ignorantiam for the fail. Tongue

No I wasn't saying that. If you assume something does not exist (i.e. a negative) then you assume it does not exist and as a result you cannot disprove it.

It's also assuming that something which does exist but cannot be proven to exist, does not exist. Pretty worthless.