3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
08-01-2014, 04:21 PM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(08-01-2014 04:08 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Everybody tread carefully... If he becomes any more dense, he may collapse in on himself.

He's nearing an intellectual black hole state. At his current density, incoming information is being shredded, making that which emerges unintelligible.

Why don't you try writing about how what you believe makes you a theist or atheist, and what you know makes you either gnostic or agnostic? I loved that, it was really dreary.

Fuck it just clicked, the "a" has confused you. I forgot you prefer simple, you add an "a" to theist and assumed that you can add an a to gnostic to make it the opposite.

Damn that's funny. You're so used to the "a" (without) speel that you forget to look up the definition and history of other words. You've taken rational to a stupid level.

Today can be a learning day.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnosticism
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2014, 04:32 PM
(08-01-2014 04:21 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 04:08 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Everybody tread carefully... If he becomes any more dense, he may collapse in on himself.

He's nearing an intellectual black hole state. At his current density, incoming information is being shredded, making that which emerges unintelligible.

Why don't you try writing about how what you believe makes you a theist or atheist, and what you know makes you either gnostic or agnostic? I loved that, it was really dreary.

Fuck it just clicked, the "a" has confused you. I forgot you prefer simple, you add an "a" to theist and assumed that you can add an a to gnostic to make it the opposite.

Damn that's funny. You're so used to the "a" (without) speel that you forget to look up the definition and history of other words. You've taken rational to a stupid level.

Today can be a learning day.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnosticism

Can I play wiki links too?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic_atheism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic_theist

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
08-01-2014, 04:38 PM
(08-01-2014 04:17 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 03:50 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  You're still missing my point. I'm not denying that we cannot make sense of what we can observe, assess etc. I'm saying taking a stance by believing we can assess all of reality as it is, not as we observe it to be, is an assumption.

It's an assumption I don't make. I'm not sure why you think I do. Of course the stances we take about reality are of what we observe to be, some just seem to consistently have closer accurate alignments than others.

If your talking about an epistemologically unknowable god, as in one that can't be comprehended in any sense, then "god" isn't really a term that describes it (nothing can at that point). I have no viewpoints on something I can't comprehend. The typical notions of "god" though are very much humanly conceivable, in fact I think they are all human constructions.

I figured you knew I was talking about an unknowable god. I use the term god as a concept, it's interchangeable with deity, creator whatever.

"I have no viewpoints on something I can't comprehend" illustrates an agnostic perspective and hopefully you understand the difference between "not knowing" and this.
08-01-2014, 04:39 PM
Re: RE: 3 questions for atheists
(08-01-2014 04:38 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 04:17 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  It's an assumption I don't make. I'm not sure why you think I do. Of course the stances we take about reality are of what we observe to be, some just seem to consistently have closer accurate alignments than others.

If your talking about an epistemologically unknowable god, as in one that can't be comprehended in any sense, then "god" isn't really a term that describes it (nothing can at that point). I have no viewpoints on something I can't comprehend. The typical notions of "god" though are very much humanly conceivable, in fact I think they are all human constructions.

I figured you knew I was talking about an unknowable god. I use the term god as a concept, it's interchangeable with deity, creator whatever.

"I have no viewpoints on something I can't comprehend" illustrates an agnostic perspective and hopefully you understand the difference between "not knowing" and this.

That's simply a skeptical perspective.

And curse that Robert Flint for having an understanding that merged ideas and makes people made that others say their view of a concept is wrong.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
08-01-2014, 04:41 PM

Yairs, light already bends around him.

-- Max

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I am not afraid to go out of it that way.
08-01-2014, 04:42 PM
(08-01-2014 04:39 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 04:38 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  I figured you knew I was talking about an unknowable god. I use the term god as a concept, it's interchangeable with deity, creator whatever.

That's simply a skeptical perspective.

Sceptical in what perspective?
08-01-2014, 05:11 PM
(08-01-2014 03:53 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I don't see many ways of myself becoming an agnostic theist (although, I'm also not an agnostic atheist). I imagine that most decent evidence of a god would make me a gnostic theist, not an agnostic one.

That's my point. If you know then you will believe, so separating and then defining yourself as agnostic and atheist becomes pointless.
08-01-2014, 05:11 PM
Holy Crap!! 806 posts later, people still arguing about the definition of a single word?

Congratulations! You have won!

[Image: bugs_bunny___king_of_troll_by_kitta_furen-d6cjwvg.jpg]

GAME OVER

This thread will now self destruct in 10 seconds...

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
08-01-2014, 05:18 PM
(08-01-2014 05:11 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Holy Crap!! 806 posts later, people still arguing about the definition of a single word?

Congratulations! You have won!

[Image: bugs_bunny___king_of_troll_by_kitta_furen-d6cjwvg.jpg]

GAME OVER

This thread will now self destruct in 10 seconds...

I know this won't change anyone's opinion, but thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Brownshirt's post
08-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Re: RE: 3 questions for atheists
(08-01-2014 04:42 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 04:39 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  That's simply a skeptical perspective.

Sceptical in what perspective?

Its skeptical as it's withholding taking a view/position on a concept.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson