3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
08-01-2014, 08:26 PM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(08-01-2014 08:25 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 08:20 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Keep talking. All you are doing is proving what an idiot you are.

Are you going to bark all day?

[Image: bad%2Bdog.jpg]

It's all he does.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
08-01-2014, 08:26 PM
I has YouTube vids too! Skip to about 3:20 to where he gets going.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
08-01-2014, 08:30 PM
(08-01-2014 08:25 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 08:20 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Keep talking. All you are doing is proving what an idiot you are.

Are you going to bark all day?

[Image: bad%2Bdog.jpg]

I'm going to spend the day laughing at you as you get all worked up over your idiotic equivocations. It's hilarious.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
08-01-2014, 08:37 PM
(08-01-2014 08:26 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I has YouTube vids too! Skip to about 3:20 to where he gets going.

Yeah yeah I've seen it.
08-01-2014, 08:52 PM
I guess the crunch came for me when I seen creationist forcing anti science into schools.

Agnosticism gives validity to a doomsday cult bigoted belief system. For no reason other than anything is possible.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
08-01-2014, 09:14 PM
(08-01-2014 08:19 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  don't really care either way. Not believing in something defined and having no opinion on something undefined don't really seem to differ much in terms of psychological state to me. If you are that dedicated to splitting hairs over something that results in such trivial difference of psychological preoccupancy with a concept (barring being an atheist activist) then go ahead an have at it. I don't see the point though.

The difference for me is pretending to hold some sort of ability to be able to validate/authenticate existence. This manifests in various ways when dealing with people of faith. If they don't mess with my life,they can believe whatever they want, I really don't care. I find the arrogance and conceit of most atheists I've met to be really lacking in respect for people's belief. Sure, it makes no sense to me, but who am I to tell them what to do? I find it interesting that they do believe rather than finding it a source to mock.

The atheist position seems solely a response to theism, I'm saying agnosticism is a position which stands alone.

Quote:I don't use the term "atheist" to rebel. I am not an anti-theist. I am however, anti-fundamentalist.

Then I don't understand why you would identify as an atheist, theists may call you one, but who cares. I think most people are anti-fundamentalist anything.

Quote:Because even though I have logically deduced them to be logically invalid, I am a fallible creature. And yes, we virtually "know" nothing if you mean "know" in the sense of absolute certainty. I simply reject this notion of yours that it's impossible to develop a position on something that falls into the realm of human comprehension simply by claiming knowledge on it is "unknowable." Why is knowledge on humanly conceived deities "unknowable?" If you are making the claim that we can't know for certain, then right on. If not, then what's the fucking point? Might as well claim that you can't take a position on any matter at all if any conceivable thing will always fall under unknowable (and then agnostic really IS a worthless tag since it would be the only justifiable choice for anything). What's your criteria for defining something as unknowable? It's clearly not just epistemologically unknowable gods, because I have no qualms with you on that (other than the labeling) and yet we still seem to be in a disagreement on something.

Of course you would. If it falls into the realm of human comprehension, it would no longer be unknowable. You want me to tell you a conceivable thing which is unknowable? The "fucking point" is I don't proclaim the ability to possess the ability to know. Lack of evidence doesn't provide evidence for anything, either way. I'm not saying humanly conceived deities are unknowable, I'm saying I believe the riddle of existence in general is unknowable. This includes/precludes a deity.

Do you believe that existence has an answer (a cause)? I'm not implying a deity, it could be random too, but why can we not consider that as a byproduct of the universe that we might not ever solve it.

Quote:And here comes the topic of ightheism! What is a god? You and I seem to have two separate ideas pop in our heads first at the mention of that word, as does everyone else. And for the record, you do seem the make the assumption that it's not "knowable." If the conditions are self-evidently unknowable (ie: epistemological unknowable by default), then fine, but what about ones that aren't, by default, epistemological unknowables? What about a case by case basis? Are you agnostic in regards to all gods, and that by default ALL gods fall under the category of unknowable? Because if so this seems to be a major source of disagreement between us.

Definitely, I think IF a god exists it's not knowable, or it would have been known to man now. I could be wrong, that's my assumption. It's a case by case basis, I don't spend any time considering gods who may exist and how they would be knowable. No I'm not agnostic to all gods. What gods would not be unknowable? That's a question I never thought I'd ask.
08-01-2014, 09:20 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2014 09:23 PM by Brownshirt.)
(08-01-2014 08:52 PM)sporehux Wrote:  I guess the crunch came for me when I seen creationist forcing anti science into schools.

Agnosticism gives validity to a doomsday cult bigoted belief system. For no reason other than anything is possible.

Yeah I can understand that. I don't and have never lived anywhere like that.

I've known 3 creationists and people just laughed about them.

Agnosticism doesn't give any validity to fundies at all, it claims we cannot know or that theists are not justified in their beliefs, so there's no basis for any fundamentalism at all.

My view of Agnosticism is not "we don't know" to every god ever conceived. That just goes down a ridiculous path.
08-01-2014, 09:36 PM
(08-01-2014 09:14 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 08:19 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  don't really care either way. Not believing in something defined and having no opinion on something undefined don't really seem to differ much in terms of psychological state to me. If you are that dedicated to splitting hairs over something that results in such trivial difference of psychological preoccupancy with a concept (barring being an atheist activist) then go ahead an have at it. I don't see the point though.

The difference for me is pretending to hold some sort of ability to be able to validate/authenticate existence.

[Image: straw-man.jpg]

Quote: This manifests in various ways when dealing with people of faith. If they don't mess with my life,they can believe whatever they want, I really don't care.

They mess with all of our lives. Idiot.

Quote: I find the arrogance and conceit of most atheists I've met to be really lacking in respect for people's belief.

We are under no obligation WHATSOEVER to "respect anyone's batshit beliefs.

[Image: Deal_With_It91.jpg]

Quote: Sure, it makes no sense to me, but who am I to tell them what to do? I find it interesting that they do believe rather than finding it a source to mock.

[Image: whatever_floats_your_goat-106088.jpg]

Quote: Lack of evidence doesn't provide evidence for anything, either way.

Quote:I'm not saying humanly conceived deities are unknowable, I'm saying I believe the riddle of existence in general is unknowable. This includes/precludes a deity.

Irrelevant.
Quote:Do you believe that existence has an answer (a cause)?

Irrelevant to our not believing in fairy tales.

Quote: I'm not implying a deity, it could be random too, but why can we not consider that as a byproduct of the universe that we might not ever solve it.

We certainly are open to the possibility, given proper evidence. What part of that do you refuse to understand.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
08-01-2014, 09:43 PM
(08-01-2014 09:20 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Agnosticism doesn't give any validity to fundies at all, it claims we cannot know or that theists are not justified in their beliefs, so there's no basis for any fundamentalism at all.

My view of Agnosticism is not "we don't know" to every god ever conceived. That just goes down a ridiculous path.

To judge something as more improbable than probable you should consider it invalid (atheist, not Agnostic)

Space faring Aliens: It's more probable to think they exist because of the size of the universe and so on
Alien agnosticism is a valid stance:
Abduction evidence is absurd and fits more with human ego: abduction disbelief (Atheistic) is more rational.

Agnosticism should be the brief point in time you are investigating a subject to validate the evidence:

To say to children (especially) that an invisible entity that endorses all the horrors in the bible could be real, and an eternity of torture in hell fire awaits them unless they choose one unproveable deity over another.

All because your too lazy to read the Bible and make a decision on its validity
you just say well it may be true, that is why i could not continue claiming Agnosticism

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
08-01-2014, 09:44 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2014 09:49 PM by Brownshirt.)
Oh bless you tourettes.. You think I'm addressing you. Love it
[+] 1 user Likes Brownshirt's post