3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
09-01-2014, 04:08 PM
Re: RE: 3 questions for atheists
(09-01-2014 02:58 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(09-01-2014 02:50 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I've not asked you to provide proof of anything. Is not asserting false things difficult for you?

I don't care about your position. Id rather you just stop caring that a word.can be used tell ways, and not ignore that both have been used for over a century. The fact that Huxley coined the term does not mean only his point by the term is valid.

Sorry Chas said I needed to justify why I made the claim that something was unknowable, i thought you did as well.

Unsurprisingly he hasn't addressed it.

Do you think the term agnostic atheist is a old one?

I never gave thought to if it was old or not because it was irrelevant to me. Then Crulax posted those wiki links after you did and I see it does go back to around the turn of the 19th to 20th century by a philosopher named Robert Flink.

I didn't ask justification because I don't really care

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2014, 05:40 PM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
[Image: 68a685255348097e81a4460393f7c18743fe72cb...92e5e1.jpg]
09-01-2014, 06:06 PM
3 questions for atheists
(09-01-2014 03:53 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(09-01-2014 03:16 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Define what you mean by existence? That's a pretty vague statement. If you talking about consciousness or self awareness, then yes, we can comfortably say that it is nothing more than a complex symphony of myoelectric and chemical interactions in the brain and central nervous system, though all interactions are not fully understood.

By existence I mean, beyond the cause of a big bang. Existence has manifested with us as time, space and matter.

Why can you "comfortably say that it is nothing more..."? What have you observed which allows you to qualify it in this way. We have observed the processes in the brain, and somehow this allows you to emphatically state "it is nothing more than".
How do you know this? How do you know it's not your own interactions causing you to take this view? Your statement is self-refuting.

How do you have him going from "comfortably stating" something to "emphatically stating" something? Seems a stretch of the truth.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
09-01-2014, 06:11 PM
(09-01-2014 05:40 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  [Image: 68a685255348097e81a4460393f7c18743fe72cb...92e5e1.jpg]

Tip t[Image: 598d2acd0d6c516d99fccf1c69bfb6079aa38c88...303a84.jpg]oe...tip toe
[+] 1 user Likes Brownshirt's post
09-01-2014, 06:13 PM
(09-01-2014 06:06 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(09-01-2014 03:53 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  By existence I mean, beyond the cause of a big bang. Existence has manifested with us as time, space and matter.

Why can you "comfortably say that it is nothing more..."? What have you observed which allows you to qualify it in this way. We have observed the processes in the brain, and somehow this allows you to emphatically state "it is nothing more than".
How do you know this? How do you know it's not your own interactions causing you to take this view? Your statement is self-refuting.

How do you have him going from "comfortably stating" something to "emphatically stating" something? Seems a stretch of the truth.

Really? I would comfortably say something if it was 99%, emphatically at least 99.99%. Less than 1% is not a stretch.
09-01-2014, 06:15 PM
3 questions for atheists
(09-01-2014 06:13 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(09-01-2014 06:06 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  How do you have him going from "comfortably stating" something to "emphatically stating" something? Seems a stretch of the truth.

Really? I would comfortably say something if it was 99%, emphatically at least 99.99%. Less than 1% is not a stretch.

Seems to me your concept of semantics is very rigid. The word "pedantic" comes to mind. Has anyone complained of this with you before? Or do you not speak to others this way in public?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
09-01-2014, 06:39 PM
(09-01-2014 03:53 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(09-01-2014 03:16 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Define what you mean by existence? That's a pretty vague statement. If you talking about consciousness or self awareness, then yes, we can comfortably say that it is nothing more than a complex symphony of myoelectric and chemical interactions in the brain and central nervous system, though all interactions are not fully understood.

By existence I mean, beyond the cause of a big bang. Existence has manifested with us as time, space and matter.

Because, despite our best efforts we can't discover anything else besides the material universe. There might be more than that, but nothing indicates this in a testable, repeatable manner. As such, yes, I CAN comfortably say that there is nothing beyond this. Not until you demonstrate otherwise.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
09-01-2014, 08:12 PM
(09-01-2014 06:15 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(09-01-2014 06:13 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Really? I would comfortably say something if it was 99%, emphatically at least 99.99%. Less than 1% is not a stretch.

Seems to me your concept of semantics is very rigid. The word "pedantic" comes to mind. Has anyone complained of this with you before? Or do you not speak to others this way in public?

Yes I have been called pedantic by people, but generally that's by people who are usually too lazy or lack the knowledge to discuss a topic beyond the superficial.

To me if you state that that "we can comfortably say that it is nothing more..." you have to have very good understanding of what "it" is. Consciousness would not be something I would describe as us having a good understanding of at all. Let alone making the assumption of it is nothing more than a mechanical process. This to me is very typical of the atheist perspective, as that all we have proof of is, is all that can ever be.
09-01-2014, 08:13 PM
(09-01-2014 01:54 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(09-01-2014 08:26 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  ^^^ Which is one of the main Strawmen I keep hammering on the moron for. But he doesn't want to talk about that. Hobo Laughat

Excellent. Tell me why you believe it can be knowable? What evidence do you hold that tells you this?

DUMBASS. I'll type this S-L-O-W-L-Y so you might finally understand (thought I fucking doubt it):

I. DON'T. CLAIM. IT'S. KNOWABLE.

I. DON'T CLAIM. IT'S. NOT. KNOWABLE.

I. DON'T. HOLD. ANY. POSITION. ON. THIS.

IT. DOESN'T. MEAN. JACK. SHIT. TO. ME. BEING. AN. ATHEIST.

DON'T. PUT. FUCKING. WORDS. IN. OUR. MOUTHS.

THAT'S. FUCKING. STRAWMANNING.

Fucking moron.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
09-01-2014, 08:17 PM
(09-01-2014 02:38 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  I'm not missing out on anything, all you ever said was an incredibly basic claims and thought them to be truth which did not require any explanation at all.

You will always fall over here. Many people identify as agnostics as I said. I noticed you never even addressed my post which showed what "the dictionary" definition.

[Image: colin-farrell.gif]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSqpM_oP6OY0jUjch9Eud...egHvJtV9nA]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop