3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
09-01-2014, 10:41 PM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(09-01-2014 10:34 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(09-01-2014 09:49 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  This is exactly where you are wrong. I dare you to find any atheist anywhere, who claims this position.

A critical thinker would rephrase it to read, "as that all we have evidence for, is all we can place confidence in".

That is why the agnostic position is also relevant to most atheist's worldview.

You mean you can have confidence that we observed it as we did. Ok that's fine. How exactly does this position aid anyone with answering the existence or non existence of a deity?

We don't need to "answer the existence of a deity". The assumptions that underlie your question aren't even coherent. A deity would have to actually be shown conclusively to exist for us to have to "answer [its] existence".

You can't even make sense. What the fuck are you even trying to say with this "answering the existence/non-existence" horseshit. It's nonsensical word salad. You might as well be droning on and on about the "pompetous of love", or the sound of one hand clapping.

What are you, fucking twelve years old?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2014, 11:20 PM
(09-01-2014 10:34 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(09-01-2014 09:49 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  This is exactly where you are wrong. I dare you to find any atheist anywhere, who claims this position.

A critical thinker would rephrase it to read, "as that all we have evidence for, is all we can place confidence in".

That is why the agnostic position is also relevant to most atheist's worldview.

You mean you can have confidence that we observed it as we did. Ok that's fine. How exactly does this position aid anyone with answering the existence or non existence of a deity?

It doesn't. Which is why both agnosticism and atheism are acceptable positions to hold.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
10-01-2014, 12:53 AM
(09-01-2014 10:41 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(09-01-2014 10:34 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  You mean you can have confidence that we observed it as we did. Ok that's fine. How exactly does this position aid anyone with answering the existence or non existence of a deity?

We don't need to "answer the existence of a deity". The assumptions that underlie your question aren't even coherent. A deity would have to actually be shown conclusively to exist for us to have to "answer [its] existence".

You can't even make sense. What the fuck are you even trying to say with this "answering the existence/non-existence" horseshit. It's nonsensical word salad. You might as well be droning on and on about the "pompetous of love", or the sound of one hand clapping.

What are you, fucking twelve years old?

How do you fuck an age? You sure ask strange questions.

You mean it needs to conclusively exist before you consider it may exist. If you refuse to consider the possibility of a deity without some alternative, you're not an agnostic's arsehole.

I love your analogies. Drooling
10-01-2014, 12:54 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2014 12:58 AM by Brownshirt.)
(09-01-2014 11:20 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(09-01-2014 10:34 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  You mean you can have confidence that we observed it as we did. Ok that's fine. How exactly does this position aid anyone with answering the existence or non existence of a deity?

It doesn't. Which is why both agnosticism and atheism are acceptable positions to hold.

If it doesn't aid the question, why ask for it? Is this where you invoke either agnosticism or atheism as one perspective doesn't align with the other?
10-01-2014, 01:13 AM
(10-01-2014 12:54 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  If it doesn't aid the question, why ask for it?

Exactly.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
10-01-2014, 01:18 AM
(10-01-2014 01:13 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 12:54 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  If it doesn't aid the question, why ask for it?

Exactly.
Exactly? So you're going to stop requesting evidence. Outstanding we've arrived.
10-01-2014, 01:39 AM
Maybe this thread is awful.

Maybe this thread is awesome.

Personally, I'm agnostic on both.

[Image: your-argument-is-invalid-640x512.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
10-01-2014, 03:51 AM
(09-01-2014 09:05 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  What is anyone getting from this thread?

For my part, I've been harvesting great sarcastic ani's and photos!
Yes

"If you're going my way, I'll go with you."- Jim Croce
[+] 1 user Likes Kestrel's post
10-01-2014, 07:24 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2014 08:49 AM by Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver.)
(09-01-2014 08:22 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Given our best efforts can only ever measure the material, your statement is completely incongruous to me.

Interpreting what I just said in this manner either makes you illiterate or a troll.

Quote:Your position comes across as if we can't prove it it cannot exist. That position assumes that we possess the adequate ability to observe and then obtain this as knowledge. Unless you have a full picture why make any statement at all?

You also can't disprove I don't have blue nosed unicorns which live in my sock drawer. This line of reasoning can be dismissed by Carl Sagan's Firebreathing Dragon analogy.

Quote:You claim to not know, but then think fuck it, I will pick a side and hide behind semantics, of lacking belief, the definition of god. It makes no sense to me, so unless you just dislike theists I really don't get it.

1) Quit twisting my statements or inferring I said things which I did not. 2) The reason I 'pick' a side is because it's the one supported by a mountain of evidence vs God who does not have this to support his existence. I'll give your god as much attention and inquiry as you will give the firebreathing dragon which lives in my garage of the blue nosed unicorns which live in my sock drawer.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 5 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
10-01-2014, 08:02 AM
(10-01-2014 01:18 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 01:13 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Exactly.
Exactly? So you're going to stop requesting evidence. Outstanding we've arrived.

When did I say that? You need to stop assuming so much.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post