3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
10-01-2014, 03:37 PM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
my ex girlfriend was an agnostic deist..Does that rub you the wrong way? Tongue

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2014, 03:50 PM
There's no such thing as an agnostic. There are theists who are trying to appear hip and there are atheists who are too chicken to admit the truth no agnostics.
Bahahaha

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
10-01-2014, 03:54 PM
(10-01-2014 03:37 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  my ex girlfriend was an agnostic deist..Does that rub you the wrong way? Tongue
Is she your ex-girlfriend because you rubbed her the wrong way?

I'm sorry, but I had to. Big Grin

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 6 users Like Vosur's post
10-01-2014, 04:07 PM
(10-01-2014 03:08 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 08:02 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  When did I say that? You need to stop assuming so much.
If you say exactly that's not an assumption on my part.

Dude, I'm not even sure what you're talking about anymore. You've run this issue around in a circle so much without actually making a valid point that it's just made me dizzy.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
10-01-2014, 04:09 PM
(28-12-2013 12:36 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  1. Why do you have an active lack of belief? The position comes across as one who wants to be recognised as one who negates any form of god but not have to prove anything.

2. What is the purpose of atheism?

3. Why believe evidence is (or will be) available to confirm or negate a god?

Why do I have an "active" lack of belief?

Why as an adult do you know your parents put the presents under the tree?

What is the purpose of atheism?

Atheists are not a race, religion, political party or street gang. "Atheist" is simply a position, like the light switch being in the off position. The individual atheists has makes their own purpose and have their own reasons for holding the off position.

Evidence does not require "belief", otherwise if you "believe" you can jump off a skyscraper without aid of anything breaking your fall, you'd be an idiot.

Which do you think is most likely to answer the question of why people make claims of gods?

1.. An actual deity exists?

Or

2. Humans have concocted them throughout our evolution because they don't know any better?

Try thinking about all the super natural god claims you reject and ask yourself why you don't buy those claims.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-01-2014, 06:11 PM
(10-01-2014 03:07 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 07:24 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Interpreting what I just said in this manner either makes you illiterate or a troll.

You also can't disprove I don't have blue nosed unicorns which live in my sock drawer. This line of reasoning can be dismissed by Carl Sagan's Firebreathing Dragon analogy.

1) Quit twisting my statements or inferring I said things which I did not. 2) The reason I 'pick' a side is because it's the one supported by a mountain of evidence vs God who does not have this to support his existence. I'll give your god as much attention and inquiry as you will give the firebreathing dragon which lives in my garage of the blue nosed unicorns which live in my sock drawer.
The invocation of the unicorn analogy is exactly why you're not an agnostic. If you feel it justifies your atheism it's such a pitiful argument that only the converted would buy itt.

Thrice have I said I'm willing to accept that God exists IF AND ONLY IF you can provide reasonable proof that he/she/it does. Three times have you dodged, dismissed, misquoted, and resorted to desperate personal attacks because you cannot counter my arguments.

We're done, troll.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
10-01-2014, 07:50 PM
(10-01-2014 08:59 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 08:39 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  So you ARE twelve years old.

No, I do not mean that at all.

[Image: strawmanargument.jpg]

I refuse to accept any claim of a deity without sufficient evidence.

Well then you are quite obviously not the anus of an agnostic. Drinking Beverage

Yeah -- Whodathunkit? Tongue

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
10-01-2014, 07:51 PM
(10-01-2014 04:07 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 03:08 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  If you say exactly that's not an assumption on my part.

Dude, I'm not even sure what you're talking about anymore. You've run this issue around in a circle so much without actually making a valid point that it's just made me dizzy.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, how can you assess whether I've made a valid point or not?

To recap:

I said: You mean you can have confidence that we observed it as we did. Ok that's fine. How exactly does this position aid anyone with answering the existence or non existence of a deity?
You said: it Doesn't
I said: If it doesn't aid the question, why ask for it?
You said: Exactly.
I said: Exactly? So you're going to stop requesting evidence. Outstanding we've arrived.
10-01-2014, 07:53 PM
(10-01-2014 06:11 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 03:07 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  The invocation of the unicorn analogy is exactly why you're not an agnostic. If you feel it justifies your atheism it's such a pitiful argument that only the converted would buy itt.

Thrice have I said I'm willing to accept that God exists IF AND ONLY IF you can provide reasonable proof that he/she/it does. Three times have you dodged, dismissed, misquoted, and resorted to desperate personal attacks because you cannot counter my arguments.

We're done, troll.

i have not dodged a thing, there's nothing to dodge.

let me try this from another angle, could you equate a unicorn to a random cause for existence (the universe and if possible, beyond)? Or do you only equate it to a deity? And if so why?

Or, we do you presume humanity has the faculties to obtain evidence to account for existence?
10-01-2014, 08:00 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2014 08:03 PM by Brownshirt.)
For those of you who request evidence, and feel in the absence of any evidence, consider naturalism is justified, you need to be able to justify why you believe this perspective to be correct.

You use circular logic, your view would propose the material in your brain, justifies why there is only the material. It's a self-refuting view.