3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
10-01-2014, 08:03 PM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(10-01-2014 08:00 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  For those of you who request evidence, and feel in the absence of any evidence, feel naturalism is justified, you need to be able to justify why you believe this perspective to be correct.

You use circular logic, you view is created by the material in your brain, to justify why there is only the material. It's a self-refuting view.

[Image: 5qldvpx.gif]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
10-01-2014, 08:07 PM
(10-01-2014 07:51 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 04:07 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Dude, I'm not even sure what you're talking about anymore. You've run this issue around in a circle so much without actually making a valid point that it's just made me dizzy.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, how can you assess whether I've made a valid point or not?

To recap:

I said: You mean you can have confidence that we observed it as we did. Ok that's fine. How exactly does this position aid anyone with answering the existence or non existence of a deity?
You said: it Doesn't
I said: If it doesn't aid the question, why ask for it?
You said: Exactly.
I said: Exactly? So you're going to stop requesting evidence. Outstanding we've arrived.

Okay. *sigh*

What I meant by that was: if there is no solid evidence for a deity existing then it is pointless to keep considering if there is one or not. It doesn't mean I won't keep my ears on for new evidence, just that as to all current evidence offered I can dismiss the notion and be comfortable claiming atheism. If new evidence is proposed, I will assess it and adjust my worldview accordingly, but given our current happenstance I'm not holding my breath.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
10-01-2014, 08:14 PM
(10-01-2014 08:03 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 08:00 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  For those of you who request evidence, and feel in the absence of any evidence, feel naturalism is justified, you need to be able to justify why you believe this perspective to be correct.

You use circular logic, you view is created by the material in your brain, to justify why there is only the material. It's a self-refuting view.

[Image: 5qldvpx.gif]

Let me guess, you're not a naturalist, you just base your view on the lack of evidence due to the lack of evidence.
10-01-2014, 08:18 PM
(10-01-2014 08:07 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 07:51 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  If you don't know what I'm talking about, how can you assess whether I've made a valid point or not?

To recap:

I said: You mean you can have confidence that we observed it as we did. Ok that's fine. How exactly does this position aid anyone with answering the existence or non existence of a deity?
You said: it Doesn't
I said: If it doesn't aid the question, why ask for it?
You said: Exactly.
I said: Exactly? So you're going to stop requesting evidence. Outstanding we've arrived.

Okay. *sigh*

What I meant by that was: if there is no solid evidence for a deity existing then it is pointless to keep considering if there is one or not. It doesn't mean I won't keep my ears on for new evidence, just that as to all current evidence offered I can dismiss the notion and be comfortable claiming atheism. If new evidence is proposed, I will assess it and adjust my worldview accordingly, but given our current happenstance I'm not holding my breath.

In the absence of a validated alternative, you can't dismiss concepts. Do you dismiss a random cause for existence, or is that more acceptable to you despite the lack of evidence for it?
10-01-2014, 09:34 PM
Re: RE: 3 questions for atheists
(10-01-2014 08:18 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 08:07 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Okay. *sigh*

In the absence of a validated alternative, you can't dismiss concepts.

Do you mean that seriously?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
10-01-2014, 09:39 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2014 09:45 PM by Brownshirt.)
(10-01-2014 09:34 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 08:18 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  In the absence of a validated alternative, you can't dismiss concepts.

Do you mean that seriously?

Of course. By concepts I mean a creator, an eternal existence or random cause for existence.

I don't think these could be conclusively proven though. It would always require a leap by someone.

To be honest I think who who pretends they cjan justify any form of cause for existence is full of shit. Luckily for you I think you're in the same department as theists.
10-01-2014, 09:48 PM
(10-01-2014 08:18 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 08:07 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Okay. *sigh*

In the absence of a validated alternative, you can't dismiss concepts. Do you dismiss a random cause for existence, or is that more acceptable to you despite the lack of evidence for it?

I'm just gonna reiterate Vosur's post #921.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
10-01-2014, 09:54 PM
(10-01-2014 09:48 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 08:18 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  In the absence of a validated alternative, you can't dismiss concepts. Do you dismiss a random cause for existence, or is that more acceptable to you despite the lack of evidence for it?

I'm just gonna reiterate Vosur's post #921.

I will cry myself to sleep tonight.

Humour me, tell me why. You have to remember I find your perspective as stupid as you find mine. We could just continue to assume the other is an idiot. To be fair it probably won't make any difference.
10-01-2014, 10:03 PM
(10-01-2014 09:54 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 09:48 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I'm just gonna reiterate Vosur's post #921.

I will cry myself to sleep tonight.

Good. And while you're at it, go fuck yourself. In the ass. With a cactus. Wrapped in barbed wire. Smothered with Habanero sauce.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
10-01-2014, 10:08 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2014 10:12 PM by Brownshirt.)
(10-01-2014 10:03 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 09:54 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  I will cry myself to sleep tonight.

Good. And while you're at it, go fuck yourself. In the ass. With a cactus. Wrapped in barbed wire. Smothered with Habanero sauce.
So bored of that. Most cacti don't touch the sides.

What does your momma use?

Sha'mon muthafucka.
[+] 1 user Likes Brownshirt's post