3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
11-01-2014, 01:07 AM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(10-01-2014 10:12 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 10:08 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  So bored of that. Most cacti don't touch the sides.

What does your momma use?

My momma would use a blowtorch to light the army of straw men I stuff up your ass.

[Image: cqwWCKH.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2014, 01:09 AM
(10-01-2014 10:14 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Someone who does not believe in anything they cannot see comes across some bones. They look closely to make sure those "bones" are real bones, and not made in Taiwan, of plastic. The bones fit together to look like
THIS
No one on Earth has seen a live specimen of this creature in living memory, so everyone says it must have gone extinct....until a recently dead specimen, with flesh still on an identical set of bones washes ashore (or however they found it; can't remember).
Exclamation Well I'll be damned! Not only did the creature ONCE exist, it still does...we're LOOKing at the corpse of one right now!!! Exclamation
Every true atheist on this forum is that guy/gal who doesn't believe anything they cannot see, who found real, live bones!! So when god-bones are found, we'll believe Gods once existed. When Poseidon's corpse washes ashore, THEN we'll believe Gods do exist.
Until then, anyone proposing the existence of Jesus, Allah, or Santa Clause, is just one more person some of us would like to see get hit by a bus with a giant Darwin fish painted on the side! Or a bus with a giant Jesus fish painted on the side for those of us who love irony!

....douche bag Dodgy

Well that was strange.
11-01-2014, 01:09 AM
(11-01-2014 01:04 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Religion plays such a minimal role

Would you like to back that up? Because the whole world begs to differ. Do you really want to play that card?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
11-01-2014, 02:09 AM
(10-01-2014 11:13 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 09:39 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Of course. By concepts I mean a creator, an eternal existence or random cause for existence.

I don't think these could be conclusively proven though. It would always require a leap by someone.

To be honest I think who who pretends they cjan justify any form of cause for existence is full of shit. Luckily for you I think you're in the same department as theists.

Unless you mean something different than I do by dismiss, I find that thinking completely misguided. Its not being wise or skeptical in its approach.

Why am I in that regard? Did I say I can justify a form of cause for existence? Has anyone here?

Asking for evidence, despite the obvious lack of it, for any cause of existence is a red herring.

Being sceptical is the pretence of being able to find out. No one knows, granted theists are little more nutty but you guys need to hold your horses.
11-01-2014, 02:13 AM
(11-01-2014 01:09 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(11-01-2014 01:04 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Religion plays such a minimal role

Would you like to back that up? Because the whole world begs to differ. Do you really want to play that card?

I mean in my life. I'm not playing any card outside of my sphere.

I think people are fucked rather than religion.
11-01-2014, 06:22 AM
Re: RE: 3 questions for atheists
(11-01-2014 02:09 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 11:13 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Unless you mean something different than I do by dismiss, I find that thinking completely misguided. Its not being wise or skeptical in its approach.

Why am I in that regard? Did I say I can justify a form of cause for existence? Has anyone here?

Asking for evidence, despite the obvious lack of it, for any cause of existence is a red herring.

Being sceptical is the pretence of being able to find out. No one knows, granted theists are little more nutty but you guys need to hold your horses.

How am I asking for evidence?

Being skeptical doesn't actually presume you can find out. You are so warped up in this false picture that everyone but agnostics definitely believe they can find truth that isn't real.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
11-01-2014, 08:24 AM
(10-01-2014 09:39 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 09:34 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Do you mean that seriously?

Of course. By concepts I mean a creator, an eternal existence or random cause for existence.

I don't think these could be conclusively proven though. It would always require a leap by someone.

To be honest I think who who pretends they cjan justify any form of cause for existence is full of shit.

[Image: straw-man.jpg]

Quote: Luckily for you I think you're in the same department as theists.

You aren't thinking at all.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
11-01-2014, 08:28 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2014 08:46 AM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(11-01-2014 01:04 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 10:09 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  But I've already told you why. I get what you're saying, I have the entire time. I just think you're wrong.

Let's let that argument go. You say that atheists should live and let live. I don't entirely disagree. My personal philosophy is "you do you, just don't be a dick" (a borrowed philosophy, but I find it to be profound and efficacious).

Tell me, given religion's history and continued effect on society, should we just turn a deaf ear to the discrimination and bigotry that threatens to continue to infiltrate our culture and legislature due to ignorance? When it affects you or those dear to you, do you just say, "hey man, I can't know anything, so I'm in no position to tell these assholes that they're fucking up our world"?

Religion plays such a minimal role.....

[Image: OrlyTaitzOwl.jpg]

Quote:i'm anti discrimination and bigotry etc, but that's got nothing to do with the philosophy behind my position. I say no one can know, this includes theists too.

NO one can know about Santa Claus, leprechauns, or unicorns either. YOu really aren't saying anything at all. Rolleyes

11-01-2014, 08:45 AM
(11-01-2014 01:07 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 10:12 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  My momma would use a blowtorch to light the army of straw men I stuff up your ass.

[Image: cqwWCKH.gif]

[Image: Some-People-Just-need-a-high-five-in-the...-chair.jpg]

11-01-2014, 10:51 AM
(10-01-2014 07:53 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  i have not dodged a thing, there's nothing to dodge.

You made the case for God, now prove to me that he/she/it exists. If not, it's not worth my time and energy to investigate God further. You further proclaiming that God does exist only makes your case pathetic as you have no proof for it.

Quote:let me try this from another angle, could you equate a unicorn to a random cause for existence (the universe and if possible, beyond)? Or do you only equate it to a deity? And if so why?

Yes I could equate a unicorn as the cause for the origins of the material universe, as, based on the evidence, it is just as likely a cause as a god or deity. In addition a unicorn is, in fact a more plausible answer for the origins of the universe as a unicorn is a finite creature, which matches more closely to what we know about life vs God who is infinite, omniscient, and omnipotent.

Quote:Or, we do you presume humanity has the faculties to obtain evidence to account for existence?

If we presume that our human faculties cannot obtain evidence for a correct natural origin of the universe, what makes you think our faculties are adequate to make a correct judgment about the existence of god?

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade