3 questions for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 1.5 Average
12-01-2014, 11:30 PM
RE: 3 questions for atheists
(12-01-2014 10:47 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(12-01-2014 06:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  And no one has claimed that science will.

So is the request for evidence for a deity seems to be a very odd one.

You are confusing science with skepticism.

You have a penchant for misconstruing words and concepts, and having your own quirky definitions.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
12-01-2014, 11:33 PM
(12-01-2014 10:47 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(12-01-2014 06:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  And no one has claimed that science will.

So is the request for evidence for a deity seems to be a very odd one.

Because *religious* people claim that they *know* with *absolute* certainty that they *do* have the answer to the question. So it doesn't seem unreasonable in that case to say 'OK, show me'. We are not claiming knowledge, but we *are* being skeptical towards those who *do* claim it.

Cue more stupid ranting about hidden atheist agendas and hijacking the word agnostic Dodgy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
12-01-2014, 11:55 PM
(12-01-2014 10:47 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  So is the request for evidence for a deity seems to be a very odd one.

[Image: __grammatik_macht_frei___wallpaper_by_un...4h0y15.jpg]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
12-01-2014, 11:56 PM
Hey Brownshirt, I have a dragon in my garage.

(wanna play?)

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
12-01-2014, 11:57 PM
(12-01-2014 11:33 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(12-01-2014 10:47 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  So is the request for evidence for a deity seems to be a very odd one.

Because *religious* people claim that they *know* with *absolute* certainty that they *do* have the answer to the question. So it doesn't seem unreasonable in that case to say 'OK, show me'. We are not claiming knowledge, but we *are* being skeptical towards those who *do* claim it.

Cue more stupid ranting about hidden atheist agendas and hijacking the word agnostic Dodgy

[Image: funny-pictures-auto-comics-logic-371546.jpeg]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 3 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
13-01-2014, 12:45 AM
(12-01-2014 05:38 PM)nooneofconsequence Wrote:  
(12-01-2014 01:39 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  I'm not Agnostic towards religious claims. My curiosity is not satisfied with the position I just see no reason to believe that science will answer this question.

You know Brownsquirt, if nothing else you deserve credit for starting one of the most cretinous threads I've ever had the misfortune to turn my nose up at which subsequently attracted 96+ pages of commentary.

Kudos brother!

-- Max

The most cretinous threads is certainly quite a claim. Have you been to the internet before?
13-01-2014, 12:48 AM
(12-01-2014 11:30 PM)Chas Wrote:  

You are confusing science with skepticism.

You have a penchant for misconstruing words and concepts, and having your own quirky definitions.

No I'm not confusing the two at all. I'm questioning your over-reliance on science, which you claim is scepticism.

Penchant implies it's a conscious thing that I'm misconstruing your vague definitions That you think they're quirky matters not a jot.
13-01-2014, 12:53 AM
(12-01-2014 11:33 PM)morondog Wrote:  

Nope way off. Some religious people claim they know, most claim they have faith. Some atheists claim they know no god exists, guess where this is going?

If you want to oppose fundamentalists, be my guest but it's hardly sane to base your position off of the rantings of people like westboro for example.

I also lack belief in a religious god, but the concept of god goes WAY beyond that.
13-01-2014, 12:58 AM (This post was last modified: 13-01-2014 01:05 AM by Brownshirt.)
(12-01-2014 11:56 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Hey Brownshirt, I have a dragon in my garage.

(wanna play?)

Sure, either I don't care or i will create a group to denounce your claim, as I can safely claim all of those people who make this claim make the world a worse place and this can be directly attributed to their claim.

You're really not convincing me. I haven't known any religious nutters so picking on the soft targets is just cherry picking.
13-01-2014, 01:01 AM
(12-01-2014 11:57 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(12-01-2014 11:33 PM)morondog Wrote:  Because *religious* people claim that they *know* with *absolute* certainty that they *do* have the answer to the question. So it doesn't seem unreasonable in that case to say 'OK, show me'. We are not claiming knowledge, but we *are* being skeptical towards those who *do* claim it.

[Image: funny-pictures-auto-comics-logic-371546.jpeg]

The strawman thing would have been so much more appropriate given your constant missing of the mark.