3D printing, the future.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2016, 02:22 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2016 02:26 PM by Gloucester.)
3D printing, the future.
Listening to a prog on the potentials for 3D printing, or "additive manufacture".

I find this subject quite fascinating, even given the current limitations.

Some years ago the potential for making perfect custom made parts to replace facial bones totally lost in accidents ir disease. Cheapest way to make one or a hundred custom items fairly expensively but no use to make 100 000 identical items very cheaply.

However, say the handle on your oven door breaks. Phone your local supplier with the model and serial number and they extract the correct design from the library and build one by the next day. No stocking hundreds of spares or waiting for a week or two for delivery. Just a few bins of plastic powder out back and a machine.

Another application is spares-in-space. Break something made from plastic? Use the broken one as source materials to manufacture the replacement. Need another one of something temporarly? Make one and recycle the materials later. It has already been used to make a new tool when the old one was misplaced on the space station (HTF do you lose things in a totally enclosed environment?)

Price of simple units has come down nicely but at £200 doubt it will get much lower. But, give kids chance to learn the tech and programming . . . If the scanners also come down low enough in price making something like custom made knife and fork handles for granny's arthritic hands will be a doddle!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2016, 02:27 PM
RE: 3D printing, the future.
There's also going to be some new materials that will be capable of being run through a 3DP ......

Including stuff that's conductive, and semi-conducting ---- thus allowing electronics to be built into smaller objects - that never before could be easily constructed....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
01-09-2016, 02:31 PM
(01-09-2016 02:27 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  There's also going to be some new materials that will be capable of being run through a 3DP ......

Including stuff that's conductive, and semi-conducting ---- thus allowing electronics to be built into smaller objects - that never before could be easily constructed....

Yup, there was a bit about six head ultra-high resolution printers building complete circuits, in three dimensions, in a university in the UK.

Wonder if they lace cooling channels through the product!

01-09-2016, 02:33 PM
It's pretty amazing alright...I still can't get me head around it. It will interesting to see how it effects the traditional manufacturing sector.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
01-09-2016, 02:35 PM
I've seen some awesome prosthesis made at a fraction of the typical cost thanks to this machine. They could make custom designs on a 3d computer program, print them out, and have 'em ready in an hour. Need a spare part? Easy, just pull up the file and have it printed in 5 minutes. Kid outgrow his prosthetic arm? No biggy, we'll just adjust the design and implement the new parts in a jiffy. We can even make it look like Iron Man's arm.

Oh the possibilities with this machine.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
01-09-2016, 02:35 PM
I have a dog who is going to lose the use of his front legs in a year or two. I will be looking to 3D printing for prostheses for him.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
01-09-2016, 03:02 PM
(01-09-2016 02:35 PM)Dom Wrote:  I have a dog who is going to lose the use of his front legs in a year or two. I will be looking to 3D printing for prostheses for him.
Now, that leads to some interesting considerations, especially if you also need articulation.

Hmm, or something like spring type athletic running legs but with rubber pads, made from off road bike tyres maybe, for feet?

Consider

01-09-2016, 03:33 PM
(01-09-2016 02:31 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 02:27 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  There's also going to be some new materials that will be capable of being run through a 3DP ......

Yup, there was a bit about six head ultra-high resolution printers building complete circuits, in three dimensions, in a university in the UK.

They could run sodium fibers leading to a layer just under the surface and make the entire surface a radiator..... Ultra passive cooling...... No moving parts....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
01-09-2016, 03:36 PM
(01-09-2016 03:33 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 02:31 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  Yup, there was a bit about six head ultra-high resolution printers building complete circuits, in three dimensions, in a university in the UK.

They could run sodium fibers leading to a layer just under the surface and make the entire surface a radiator..... Ultra passive cooling...... No moving parts....

Would not fancy that in my pocket, car or home!

01-09-2016, 04:00 PM
(01-09-2016 03:02 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 02:35 PM)Dom Wrote:  I have a dog who is going to lose the use of his front legs in a year or two. I will be looking to 3D printing for prostheses for him.
Now, that leads to some interesting considerations, especially if you also need articulation.

Hmm, or something like spring type athletic running legs but with rubber pads, made from off road bike tyres maybe, for feet?

Consider

Here is an example:

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post