3D printing, the future.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2016, 04:55 PM
RE: 3D printing, the future.
(01-09-2016 02:22 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  Listening to a prog on the potentials for 3D printing, or "additive manufacture".

I find this subject quite fascinating, even given the current limitations.

Some years ago the potential for making perfect custom made parts to replace facial bones totally lost in accidents ir disease. Cheapest way to make one or a hundred custom items fairly expensively but no use to make 100 000 identical items very cheaply.

However, say the handle on your oven door breaks. Phone your local supplier with the model and serial number and they extract the correct design from the library and build one by the next day. No stocking hundreds of spares or waiting for a week or two for delivery. Just a few bins of plastic powder out back and a machine.

Another application is spares-in-space. Break something made from plastic? Use the broken one as source materials to manufacture the replacement. Need another one of something temporarly? Make one and recycle the materials later. It has already been used to make a new tool when the old one was misplaced on the space station (HTF do you lose things in a totally enclosed environment?)

Price of simple units has come down nicely but at £200 doubt it will get much lower. But, give kids chance to learn the tech and programming . . . If the scanners also come down low enough in price making something like custom made knife and fork handles for granny's arthritic hands will be a doddle!

But those who talk about 3d printing of automatic rifles are ahead of time by a few decades at least, right?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2016, 05:00 PM
My husband and I invested in several 3D printing companies about three years ago. The stock is doing pretty good so far. Thumbsup

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
01-09-2016, 08:06 PM
(01-09-2016 02:27 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  There's also going to be some new materials that will be capable of being run through a 3DP ......

Including stuff that's conductive, and semi-conducting ---- thus allowing electronics to be built into smaller objects - that never before could be easily constructed....

Hey! I just had a brilliant idea!

Get 3D Printers making MORE 3D printers!

Then set up a genetic algorithm to optimize the design of the 3d printers. You can automate the entire cycle, from design to prototyping to testing. Set up a second genetic algorithm to optimize the logistics of raw supplies, including the ability to scrounge unused materials from the trash bins. That would require a bit of robotics, but you could just fold their design and production into the genetic algorithm that's optimizing the printers. You could even make the printers mobile and with robot arms. Give them some wifi to connect to the internet to share designs with each other and perhaps a primitive natural language interface so they can read websites about physics and engineering and thus better plan their designs. (Make the natural language interface also subject to a genetic algorithm so it improves in time.)

Just like that, with only materials at hand, you have the ability to create the PERFECT machine. What could possibly go wrong?

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
01-09-2016, 08:45 PM
(01-09-2016 04:00 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 03:02 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  Now, that leads to some interesting considerations, especially if you also need articulation.

Hmm, or something like spring type athletic running legs but with rubber pads, made from off road bike tyres maybe, for feet?

Consider

Here is an example:

Great!

I was also envisioning "rockers" of some sort, that is why the curve of a bike tyre appealed to me. Plus the springiness of limited "suspension," if needed. I was also wondering how much leg would be left with articulation, if any. The shoulder joint would be critical.

Just gotta be tailor made! 3D ideal.

Not having actually worked in that field my mind still envisages classical design and manufacturing methods I guess.I could make them using classical methods in ply, plastic and leather!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
01-09-2016, 08:55 PM
Before I retired, tools that I designed were made using additive manufacturing at a fraction of the cost of machining them. A few hundred bucks is preferable to a few thousand, every time. I could make a couple iterations (mostly, it was preference issues with management, since when I design a tool, ALL bases have been covered). Tongue
02-09-2016, 05:44 AM
(01-09-2016 04:55 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 02:22 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  Listening to a prog on the potentials for 3D printing, or "additive manufacture".

Some years ago the potential for making perfect custom made parts to replace facial bones totally lost in accidents ir disease. Cheapest way to make one or a hundred custom items fairly expensively but no use to make 100 000 identical items very cheaply.

However, say the handle on your oven door breaks. Phone your local supplier with the model and serial number and they extract the correct design from the library and build one by the next day. No stocking hundreds of spares or waiting for a week or two for delivery. Just a few bins of plastic powder out back and a machine.

Another application is spares-in-space. Break something made from plastic? Use the broken one as source materials to manufacture the replacement. Need another one of something temporarly? Make one and recycle the materials later. It has already been used to make a new tool when the old one was misplaced on the space station (HTF do you lose things in a totally enclosed environment?)

Price of simple units has come down nicely but at £200 doubt it will get much lower. But, give kids chance to learn the tech and programming . . . If the scanners also come down low enough in price making something like custom made knife and fork handles for granny's arthritic hands will be a doddle!

But those who talk about 3d printing of automatic rifles are ahead of time by a few decades at least, right?

With even the most anemic round, you're still talking approximately 20000 PSI in the chamber. I would doubt you'll ever see plastics will take that kind of pressure.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
02-09-2016, 06:43 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2016 06:46 AM by Gloucester.)
(01-09-2016 04:55 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  

Unfortunately I am not so sure, look around on YouTube.

But I am making the assumption this one is a composite of technologies, some metal parts. However you can user 3DP for sintering some metals. We are talking expensive machines.

02-09-2016, 07:01 AM
(01-09-2016 08:45 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 04:00 PM)Dom Wrote:  Here is an example:

Great!

I was also envisioning "rockers" of some sort, that is why the curve of a bike tyre appealed to me. Plus the springiness of limited "suspension," if needed. I was also wondering how much leg would be left with articulation, if any. The shoulder joint would be critical.

Just gotta be tailor made! 3D ideal.

Not having actually worked in that field my mind still envisages classical design and manufacturing methods I guess.I could make them using classical methods in ply, plastic and leather!

My dog will have one leg functioning to just below the knee and the other will stop above the knee. It's a birth defect that was not visible as a pup, and one of the legs started to look twisted after a year. By now you can see what joints are affected in both legs and they will continue to deteriorate. He is 8 years old now and starting to have slight issues. Within a couple of years he will need something to help him walk, he won't be able to put weight on his front legs. The average life expectancy for the breed is 16...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
02-09-2016, 09:15 AM
This was in the news this morning. Researchers have created a process to support 3D printing of new bone material – which could give those that require bone grafts more options.

http://www.thejournal.ie/3d-printing-med...0-Sep2016/

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
02-09-2016, 09:24 AM
(02-09-2016 09:15 AM)Marozz Wrote:  This was in the news this morning. Researchers have created a process to support 3D printing of new bone material – which could give those that require bone grafts more options.

http://www.thejournal.ie/3d-printing-med...0-Sep2016/

Tes, heard that on the radio. Good stuff - if it passes all the trials etc.