Poll: Would you consider voting Libertarian?
Yes
No
Maybe, see my post
[Show Results]

3rd option for POTUS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2016, 03:33 PM
RE: 3rd option for POTUS
(03-07-2016 03:24 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I voted for Gary Johnson in the last election, and I’m voting for him again in this election. Neither Trump or Clinton represent my political views, and Johnson hits the mark a lot closer than the major party candidates do. Johnson is more of a Libertarian moderate, I think, and his views embrace aspects of both the Democrat and Republican parties. Maybe he could get the parties working together again so we can fix this country.

He’s been a successful two-term governor, doesn’t have anyone in his back pocket and he doesn’t have a major political party to appease. He’s also an authentic Washington outsider, which a lot of people want to see in the White House. If he can get (I think) 15% in the polls, then he can participate in the presidential debate alongside Trump and Clinton. I think people should have the opportunity to hear what he has to say. He got 2% last election, and he's currently polling at 11% in this election. It's a big jump. People are obviously dissatisfied with the candidates and taking notice of other options.

Where Johnson stands on some of the issues:

- Reduce military spending by 20%
- Legalize recreational use of marijuana.
- End the war on drugs.
- Abolish the department of education and return the power to the states.
- Pro choice
- Keep social security and Medicare for those who have paid into the system.
- Against the death penalty.

In a nut shell, he’s fiscally conservative and socially liberal. My kind of guy. Smile

Yeah that's where I remember reading and finding some of his ideas troubling.

I wouldn't want a state deciding that evolution is bunk and switching to a curriculum that says the earth was created in 6 days, or that Noah and the flood were historically correct.

I also have little reason to believe this wouldn't happen.

His pro-life stance while I applause it, also is wishy washy in that he believes the states should decide if they want to make abortion legal or illegal. Or maybe allowable or not.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
03-07-2016, 03:53 PM
(03-07-2016 03:33 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(03-07-2016 03:24 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I voted for Gary Johnson in the last election, and I’m voting for him again in this election. Neither Trump or Clinton represent my political views, and Johnson hits the mark a lot closer than the major party candidates do. Johnson is more of a Libertarian moderate, I think, and his views embrace aspects of both the Democrat and Republican parties. Maybe he could get the parties working together again so we can fix this country.

He’s been a successful two-term governor, doesn’t have anyone in his back pocket and he doesn’t have a major political party to appease. He’s also an authentic Washington outsider, which a lot of people want to see in the White House. If he can get (I think) 15% in the polls, then he can participate in the presidential debate alongside Trump and Clinton. I think people should have the opportunity to hear what he has to say. He got 2% last election, and he's currently polling at 11% in this election. It's a big jump. People are obviously dissatisfied with the candidates and taking notice of other options.

Where Johnson stands on some of the issues:

- Reduce military spending by 20%
- Legalize recreational use of marijuana.
- End the war on drugs.
- Abolish the department of education and return the power to the states.
- Pro choice
- Keep social security and Medicare for those who have paid into the system.
- Against the death penalty.

In a nut shell, he’s fiscally conservative and socially liberal. My kind of guy. Smile

Yeah that's where I remember reading and finding some of his ideas troubling.

I wouldn't want a state deciding that evolution is bunk and switching to a curriculum that says the earth was created in 6 days, or that Noah and the flood were historically correct.

I also have little reason to believe this wouldn't happen.

His pro-life stance while I applause it, also is wishy washy in that he believes the states should decide if they want to make abortion legal or illegal. Or maybe allowable or not.

Two valid areas of concern. Hopefully he'll be afforded the opportunity to elaborate on his positions in a national debate. Yes
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
03-07-2016, 04:02 PM
(03-07-2016 03:04 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(03-07-2016 02:33 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Don't all politicians lie?

Never trust an honest politician.

That's true of ALL fictional characters......

Confused

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
03-07-2016, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2016 04:15 PM by TrainWreck.)
(03-07-2016 02:58 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Self made implies he started with nothing.
No, he's not self made. Trump inherited money from his family.
No, he was loaned a million and he invested it correctly and made a large turn-over, paid his father back; and took off in venture capitalism - you, and I, probably would not have been so successful.

(03-07-2016 02:58 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Wasn't Bill Clinton's father an insurance salesman? I believe he also went to college on an achedemic scholarship.

Going from the kid of an insurance salesman to POTUS would be self-made.

In an appreciation for corrupt politics - yes, insurance is a ponzi scheme and exchange game. I believe that his policy campaign lead to the 2008 Housing Crisis - something he probably was aware would happen. And, the blacks are blaming his policy for the mass-incarceration rate of blacks. And, instead of smartening-up black youths to software development, he let rap music flourish. Tongue

Straw man - avoiding the comparison to Hillary by substituting , Bill.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
03-07-2016, 04:39 PM
(03-07-2016 04:07 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(03-07-2016 02:58 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Self made implies he started with nothing.
No, he's not self made. Trump inherited money from his family.
No, he was loaned a million and he invested it correctly and made a large turn-over, paid his father back; and took off in venture capitalism - you, and I, probably would not have been so successful.

(03-07-2016 02:58 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Wasn't Bill Clinton's father an insurance salesman? I believe he also went to college on an achedemic scholarship.

Going from the kid of an insurance salesman to POTUS would be self-made.

In an appreciation for corrupt politics - yes, insurance is a ponzi scheme and exchange game. I believe that his policy campaign lead to the 2008 Housing Crisis - something he probably was aware would happen. And, the blacks are blaming his policy for the mass-incarceration rate of blacks. And, instead of smartening-up black youths to software development, he let rap music flourish. Tongue

Straw man - avoiding the comparison to Hillary by substituting , Bill.

No trump inherited 40 million dollars in 1974.

Going further if your assertion is apt, how many parents can afford to loan their kid a million dollars?

Self made my ass.

As to the rest, doesn't matter how you feel about the insurance industry.

The point remains Bill Clinton didn't come from a wealthy background and was self-made.

Hillary married him.

Her father Hugh Rodham was another self made man, but I don't know how much Hillary actually inherited upon his death, but it doesn't matter since The Clintons were residing in the whitehouse at the time. Drinking Beverage

03-07-2016, 04:48 PM
Well, it appears you are right, but I think Trump has a more sensible approach to doing social projects, and is not as susceptible to lobbyists' and bureaucrats' selfish ambitions, as Hillary.

I think Trump is willing to get into the Office and then describe the government as chaotic, and suggest a correction of efficiency.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
[+] 1 user Likes TrainWreck's post
03-07-2016, 04:51 PM
(03-07-2016 04:48 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Well, it appears you are right,

Thank you Smile

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
03-07-2016, 07:33 PM
Quote:What are your thoughts on Gary Johnson as an alternative? A Libertarian that is fiscally conservative and socially liberal?

No, thanks. Libertarians suffer from the problem of being incapable of running a modern industrial nation by gutting its revenue and sitting back and letting rich motherfuckers do whatever the fuck they want because there is no regulation at all.

I would like to see an example of such a system being used successfully.

Libertarianism always reminds me of this joke.

(imagine a thick jewish accent)

Mrs. Goldstein goes into Katz' Kosher Deli and says: "Katz, how much for the kosher chicken?"

Katz answers amiably: "Kosher chickens are $.99 cents a pound, Mrs. Goldstein."

Mrs. Goldstein says "Rubins Market has them for $.59 cents a pound."

Katz, still smiling says: "So, go buy them from Rubin."

Mrs. Goldstein huffs: "I would but he doesn't have any."

"Ah," says Katz, "if I didn't have any I could sell them for $.59 cents a pound, too."

That's libertarianism. Stupid promises that you'll never have to deliver on.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 5 users Like Minimalist's post
03-07-2016, 07:48 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2016 09:03 PM by GirlyMan.)

It's so romantic.

#sigh
03-07-2016, 07:53 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2016 10:20 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
I don't like his positions on abortion or DoE, but I think that's more about optics than intent.

[Edit: I was under the mistaken impression Johnson wanted to restrict a woman's right to choose. He doesn't.]

I'll be voting for him unless the Trump/Clinton battle is close here in Texas.