Poll: Would you consider voting Libertarian?
Yes
No
Maybe, see my post
[Show Results]

3rd option for POTUS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2016, 12:30 AM
RE: 3rd option for POTUS
(04-07-2016 12:59 PM)BnW Wrote:  Assuming she wins (and I think, absent an indictment or something else unforeseen, she's going to win handily) she's going to use this opportunity to put an extreme liberal on the bench. The Republicans, who made a big stink about the American people have a say through their vote for President, are not going to be in a position to stop any nominee. Even if they keep enough of the Senate to block a a fillabuster vote, the pressure on them to take a vote to the floor will be enormous. I think Mitch McConnell is going to rue the day he played this particular hand of poker.

This is a pretty good analysis, I think, especially when you consider the fact that Trump, being the colossal douchapottamus that he is, will drive Democrat turnout, I think. While they're voting for Hillary, they will probably check "D" down the line, and the Republicans -- in my opinion -- will lose the Senate, and have trouble holding the House. There are six toss-ups, three of which are in swing states, two Dem, and only one Republican.

I think this is exactly why Republican delegates are working to change the convention rules in order to be free from having to vote Trump even though that is their marching order.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
05-07-2016, 12:45 AM
(05-07-2016 12:04 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(04-07-2016 10:45 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  That is possibly true, IDK but in my opinion it is a throw away vote if it has no chance. To each their own but I'll not do what I consider a throw away vote on my one chance to voice my say.

Edited: Again to each their own.

(I took out the "ymmv" because I later thought it kind of sounded snotty and that was not my intent.)

Well, the reason I don't consider it a throw-away is that given enough third-party votes, a message is sent: change your game or be sent packing. The Dems certainly heard that with Perot's candidacy (granted, not a third-party, but polled strong as an independant before his Big Waffle). They united behind Bill Clinton even though he was quite a bit more centrist than most of them, and tugged party politics in America to the right.

I hope that enough Libertarians vote to give Johnson a stage on which he can present a sensible alternative to the two parties. And even though I'm quite a bit to the right of the Greens, I hope that they can find a candidate/leader who can have the same effect. Whether my choice wins or loses, I'm fine with it, so long as democracy has had a vigorous workout.

As matters stand, it doesn't. Both major candidates are beholden to class or moneyed interests, and perhaps both, and Idon't feel they represent my nation's interests very well at all on the world stage, which is POTUS's job. Both in my eyes seem to increase, not decrease, the likelihood of yet another foreign war; both represent Pax Anericana, with all the financial and international-relations difficulties that entails. Clinton is sounder on domestic issues, which sways me somewhat if I think my vote can be meaningful.

I would love to see my vote help Johnson into the Oval Office, but I'm sure that won't happen. That being the case, if my vote is needed to help keep Trump out of office, I will wield it in that capacity. Otherwise, I will do as I have done in almost every election the last tow-plus decades, and vote my conscience ... which I wish more Americans would do, without regard to the thought that they will "get it right" for picking the winner of the horse-race.

Because, in my opinion, they only thing we will ever get with that mindset is more of the same.

ETA: "YMMV" wouldn't have sounded "snotty" to me. It only signifies disagreement, to me, and our disagreements never rise to that sort of sarcasm. I wouldn't have known it was in there had you not mentioned it, either. Now I'm buttraged!

I do not deny your right to feel as you do. I only state that I do not want to use (or as I obviously see it, waste) my vote that way even if I wanted to or could.

When Nader ran he wasn't even on my ballot. I have a huge issue with presidential candidates not being on every ballot of every state. No person should be denied the right to vote for their next president. I don't know how a 3rd or 4th part will ever be taken seriously in our country but until I see it as a real possibility I'm spending my vote where I think it will be heard the loudest according to my best available choice. I also respect others to have the choice to do differently.

*As for your "buttrage"...

[Image: 07430049521_450x450_a.jpg]
and if you're real good I might help you with that. Tongue

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
05-07-2016, 12:52 AM
(04-07-2016 08:41 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Fuck no. The Koch-backed libertarian who'd cut food stamps and dismantle the federal government by letting the conservative states dismantle healthcare and abortion rights, etc, is not someone I'd vote for.

Fucking libertarians are crazy.

And the "socially liberal but fiscally conservative line" is just bullshit. When you dismantle programs that help the disenfranchised (which are disproportionately female and minorities), you're not being socially liberal. Wanting weed legalized and being pro-choice don't make you socially liberal by default. And what good would a libertarian president be who held those positions if his view is that the individual states decide anyways? It would literally benefit no one.

This, this this...

It doesn't matter what his stance is, since his stance doesn't matter if the states can do what they want.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
05-07-2016, 10:00 AM
(05-07-2016 12:45 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  I do not deny your right to feel as you do.

Oh, I know that. We're just yapping.

(05-07-2016 12:45 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  *As for your "buttrage"...

[Image: 07430049521_450x450_a.jpg]
and if you're real good I might help you with that. Tongue

When I'm good, I'm good ... when I'm bad, I'm great. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
05-07-2016, 11:32 AM
(05-07-2016 12:30 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(04-07-2016 12:59 PM)BnW Wrote:  Assuming she wins (and I think, absent an indictment or something else unforeseen, she's going to win handily) she's going to use this opportunity to put an extreme liberal on the bench. The Republicans, who made a big stink about the American people have a say through their vote for President, are not going to be in a position to stop any nominee. Even if they keep enough of the Senate to block a a fillabuster vote, the pressure on them to take a vote to the floor will be enormous. I think Mitch McConnell is going to rue the day he played this particular hand of poker.

This is a pretty good analysis,

"Pretty good"?

The guy who wrote that is a fucking genius!

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 4 users Like BnW's post
05-07-2016, 11:36 AM
(05-07-2016 11:32 AM)BnW Wrote:  
(05-07-2016 12:30 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  This is a pretty good analysis,

"Pretty good"?

The guy who wrote that is a fucking genius!

Don't forget humble.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
05-07-2016, 12:12 PM
And charming. That guy oozes charm.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
05-07-2016, 12:45 PM
(05-07-2016 12:04 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I would love to see my vote help Johnson into the Oval Office, but I'm sure that won't happen. That being the case, if my vote is needed to help keep Trump out of office, I will wield it in that capacity.

When and how will you know? As votes are being tallied in your precinct?

Just curious.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
05-07-2016, 01:07 PM
Quote:Actually, I think Trump's success in the primary is testimony to the demise of the fundy-Christian domination of Republican politics that they held for twenty-five or so years.

Drumpf's success was fueled by the fact that he sounded different than the other 16 turds, not that he was different. That, and his name recognition, and the fact that the media fell all over him because they love conflict and he provided it.

He is a television creation - and a prime example of everything that is wrong with 'Murrican politics.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
06-07-2016, 12:09 AM
(05-07-2016 12:45 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(05-07-2016 12:04 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I would love to see my vote help Johnson into the Oval Office, but I'm sure that won't happen. That being the case, if my vote is needed to help keep Trump out of office, I will wield it in that capacity.

When and how will you know? As votes are being tallied in your precinct?

Just curious.

Right now, Travis County (where I live) is one of the most liberal counties in Texas, and almost surely will go to Clinton, but according to some polls Trump runs eight or nine points ahead of Clinton statewide, and those leads include D/FW, El Paso, Amarillo, San Antonio, and Houston -- and my precinct is a conservative oultier in Travis County politics.

The point being that even if my precinct and county are for Clinton, Trumps stands to gain the state's EC votes by dint of winning most major metropolises and most of the countryside, so long as he maintains his lead. I do sometimes talk politics with my customers, and they're by and large conservative, and that's where I'm getting a good part of my feel. But I'm also watching state info.