Poll: Would you consider voting Libertarian?
Yes
No
Maybe, see my post
[Show Results]

3rd option for POTUS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2016, 12:18 AM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2016 12:21 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
RE: 3rd option for POTUS
(05-07-2016 01:07 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:Actually, I think Trump's success in the primary is testimony to the demise of the fundy-Christian domination of Republican politics that they held for twenty-five or so years.

Drumpf's success was fueled by the fact that he sounded different than the other 16 turds, not that he was different. That, and his name recognition, and the fact that the media fell all over him because they love conflict and he provided it.

He is a television creation - and a prime example of everything that is wrong with 'Murrican politics.

I agree that his status is based on being a loudmouth, sounding different, but I have not a single doubt that based on his stated policies, he's a shill for the uber-wealthy. He throws a bone or two to the TPers with his rhetoric about the wall or banning Muslim immigration (which also pleases the fundies).

My point was not that I think he's different, but that (given his checkered personal history and public stances on abortion and gay marriage), the fundies are being dragged to the polls, not charging to them as they did for Dubya (in particular).

Trump's nomination represents the failure of any one candidate to be all things to all of them ... which is why we see the fracture occurring before our eyes. But the fundies are the biggest losers, not only given Citizens United (which means they cannot win the money-war), but also the fact that demographics work against them. More and more youth are less and less invested in religion, even if they do hold conservative views.

Looking back, it's not hard to see that there were at first seventeen candidates for the nomination simply because all of them sensed the possibility inherent in this flux, and sixteen of them misjudged the ability of The Mouth That Roared to shout them down ... but that is exactly what happened.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
06-07-2016, 02:49 AM
(04-07-2016 06:13 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(03-07-2016 10:51 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I don't have any high-speed data on my plan, is there a transcript I can read somewhere?
There wasn't one until I created one just now. Enjoy.

[Intro]

Samantha Bee
Welcome back to the show. Let's say you were choosing a sandwich. What do you when your only choices are something morally reprehensible, against the rule of law and decency and a symbol for all that's wrong in America [an image of Trump's face next to giant hamburger dripping with sauce is displayed in the background] and something you, I don't know, you don't really know why you just never cared for [an image of Clinton's face next to a plain old toast sandwich is displayed in the background]? You might be wondering if there's anything else on the menu [a picture of a smiley face made out of a sandwich and vegetables is displayed in the background]. Well, guess what, there is! It's not FDA-inspected, but I took a bite anyway.

Samantha Bee
For the last 160 years, Americans have only elected Democrats and Republicans for president, but this year, that could all change.

Female CNN news anchor
44% of registered voters said that they would want a third party option.

Male CNN news anchor
There's already a third party candidate running right now.

MSNBC news anchor
The Libertarian presidential candidate Gary Johnson.

Fox News anchor
Gary Johnson.

Gary Johnson on CNN
Who the hell is Gary Johnson?

Samantha Bee
Good question, guy who is Gary Johnson. We sat down so Gary could introduce himself to America.

[Start of the interview]

Gary Johnson
I'm Gary Johnson. I am running for president on the Libertarian party.

Samantha Bee
What is a Libertarian?

Gary Johnson
A Libertarian is fiscally conservative and socially liberal. Get government out of the bedroom, bring an end to the drug war and let's stop with these military interventions.

Samantha Bee (talking over the recording)
Sounds reasonable, so I had Gary walk me through a checklist of what it means to be Libertarian.

Gary Johnson
Legalize marijuana. I would not have bailed out the auto industry. I support a woman's right to choose. I would abolish guaranteed government student loans and I would abolish the Department of Education.

Samantha Bee
Here's the thing with Libertarians: I support basically every other thing you say.

Gary Johnson
I believe in free markets. The model of the future should be Uber-everything. Uber accountant, Uber lawyer, Uber doctor.

Samantha Bee
I can't wait to pay surge pricing mid-colonoscopy.

But the free market seems to be going Gary's way. He'll be the only third party candidate on the ballot in all 50 states and he's already polling at 10%. So who is the real Gary?

Samantha Bee
Your campaign slogan is "Google 'Gary Johnson' and find out."

Gary Johnson
Google "Gary Johnson". This is really objective.

Samantha Bee
And yet you have a name they would give someone in witness protection.

Gary Johnson
You know, there are a lot of Gary Johnsons.

Gary Johnson
Who is Gary Johnson?

Gary Johnson
Just google him

So I googled "Johnson" - oops, safe search on - and it turns out that he was a popular two-term governor of New Mexico in the 90s where he balanced the budget and murdered some wood. Also, he's climbed Mount Everest and bikes while sexy. But is he ready for the big leagues?

Samantha Bee
Let's take a look at an image from your campaign website. What sound were you making when this photo was taken. Ngaaaaaaah!

Gary Johnson
I looove youuuuu. Doesn't that show gravitas?

Samantha Bee
Make that face right now.

Gary Johnson
[attempts to recreate the facial expression in the picture]

Samantha Bee
What are you doing? Why? You know, kids will do anything with photos. They can put anything in there. So easy to turn that G into an H.

Gary Johnson
[whispers] Gravitas.

But Gary's biggest strength seems to be that he's not the worst.

Samantha Bee
You've got a real advantage over Trump and Hillary because you're not really disliked, you're just not known. All you really have to do now is shut up and look pretty.

Gary Johnson
[starts laughing]

Samantha Bee
Shhh. Just look pretty.

Gary Johnson
Ok. Just be liked.

And it turns out Gary being Gary is pretty amazing. His mind is as free as his markets.

Samantha Bee
What was your most recent job before running?

Gary Johnson
I was the CEO of Cannabis Sativa, but I am making a pledge that I would not be consuming marijuana as President of the United States. I am actually a really disciplined cat.

Samantha Bee
You're a cat? Panther-like?

Gary Johnson
Uh, may I share one of my high school nicknames with you?

Samantha Bee
I'm dying to hear what it was.

Gary Johnson
Jaguar. Jaguar Johnson?

Samantha Bee
Whaaat?

Gary Johnson
Pshh.

[A picture of Johnson's face photoshopped on a Jaguar's body is shown for a few seconds]

Samantha Bee
Do you think you're presidential enough to get elected?

Gary Johnson
I-, I am-, I do not- I am a round peg in a square hole when it comes to the perception of what you're supposed to be running for president.

Still, when your choices are a peg that's been squaring herself since she was five [a video of Clinton is playing in the background] and a peg that's just fucking the hole for the fun of it [a video of Trump is playing in the background], Gary's realness is pretty refreshing. He just wants everyone to live free.

Samantha Bee
If you could be anywhere but the campaign trail right now, where would you be?

Gary Johnson
Rock climbing.

Samantha Bee
Well, lucky for you, I'm a witch. [snaps]

[Samantha Bee and Gary Johnson suddenly appear on a training wall for rock climbers]

Samantha Bee
Oh my God!

Gary Johnson
Awesome!

Samantha Bee
How the fuck did you rope me into this?

Gary Johnson
How the fuck have you gotten us so high never having done this before and isn't it exciting? I mean, it's just so in the moment. [Johnson leans in to kiss Bee on the cheek] Oh yeah, nothing's more in the moment.

Samantha Bee
Gary Johnson. I hate to say this: I think you're too freaky-deaky to be our president.

Gary Johnson
I think this is what you want in a president.

This Libertarian is ready for America.

Gary Johnson
Vote for Gary Johnson!

But is America ready for the Libertarians? We'll find out next week when we visit their convention.

Samantha Bee
What sorts of people show up at the Libertarian convention?

Gary Johnson
You're gonna find really wonderful, well-meaning, well-spoken people and then people that are just batshit crazy.

Samantha Bee (back in the studio)
We'll be right back.

I don't know whether Samantha Bee is supposed to be a shitty journalist or a shitty comedian, but after watching this sham of an interview, I'm not surprised that she never managed to get any of the major presidential candidates to sit down for an interview with her. This was a major chance for Johnson to look like a reasonable alternative to Trump and Clinton, but instead he only ended up looking like a lunatic on par with John McAfee.

It's like a 4th tier late night comedy show that recently began. The audience is certainly nothing significant for some major chance. She used to be on the Daily Show for about the last decade.

Gary Johnson and his VP did have an actual much more major chance to showcase themselves as legitimate recently when they had a hour interview segment on CNN... but to be majorly overshadowed by it occurring the exact night as the democrats were doing their sit in at congress over the non vote on gun control laws. So I'm not even sure the scheduled rerun of the Johnson interview ran because they rather were more interested in updating on that event.

Also, the McCafee thing is just not an insult anyway, part of the crazy is the point, to drum up attention and dedication to showing that it isn't something to fear or view as big bad and dangerous... to be fine throwing freedom to those deemed unfit.

Oh, and I already voted for him, but I'm more curious about 4th and 5th options than merely a 3rd.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
06-07-2016, 01:48 PM
Quote:Trump's nomination represents the failure of any one candidate to be all things to all of them

Bingo. The thing is that it is impossible to be all things to all of them. The republicunt party is made of up money-grubbing corporate whores OTOH and dumb-as-dirt racist assholes on the other.

What this primary told us is that the votes are with the dumb.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
06-07-2016, 02:21 PM
(06-07-2016 12:18 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(05-07-2016 01:07 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Drumpf's success was fueled by the fact that he sounded different than the other 16 turds, not that he was different. That, and his name recognition, and the fact that the media fell all over him because they love conflict and he provided it.

He is a television creation - and a prime example of everything that is wrong with 'Murrican politics.

I agree that his status is based on being a loudmouth, sounding different, but I have not a single doubt that based on his stated policies, he's a shill for the uber-wealthy. He throws a bone or two to the TPers with his rhetoric about the wall or banning Muslim immigration (which also pleases the fundies).

My point was not that I think he's different, but that (given his checkered personal history and public stances on abortion and gay marriage), the fundies are being dragged to the polls, not charging to them as they did for Dubya (in particular).

Trump's nomination represents the failure of any one candidate to be all things to all of them ... which is why we see the fracture occurring before our eyes. But the fundies are the biggest losers, not only given Citizens United (which means they cannot win the money-war), but also the fact that demographics work against them. More and more youth are less and less invested in religion, even if they do hold conservative views.

Looking back, it's not hard to see that there were at first seventeen candidates for the nomination simply because all of them sensed the possibility inherent in this flux, and sixteen of them misjudged the ability of The Mouth That Roared to shout them down ... but that is exactly what happened.

It occurs to me that what we might be witnessing with Trump is a ‘WASP’ backlash. As the demographics of the country continue to change many who have been used to being in the majority find themselves for the first time living in a country that just had eight years with a black man as POTUS, the strong likelihood of the first female POTUS, a distant possibility of having the first Jewish POTUS and not being able to control who will be the next president.

Many of my best friends are white (sorry, couldn’t resist Angel ) and while not all of them feel this way a few do and are struggling with the concept of being in the minority.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
06-07-2016, 10:57 PM
(06-07-2016 01:48 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:Trump's nomination represents the failure of any one candidate to be all things to all of them

Bingo. The thing is that it is impossible to be all things to all of them. The republicunt party is made of up money-grubbing corporate whores OTOH and dumb-as-dirt racist assholes on the other.

What this primary told us is that the old Republican model is, well, old. The party has cast its tenets into stone, but the problem is that no one candidate can kneel at that many monuments facing that many directions.

And you're probaby right, that leaves the uninformed to decide the nominees, in both parties. The problem the Republicans have is that racists, bankers, and fundies aren't often smart enough to even spot their common good and work towards it any more.
06-07-2016, 11:00 PM
(06-07-2016 10:57 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(06-07-2016 01:48 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Bingo. The thing is that it is impossible to be all things to all of them. The republicunt party is made of up money-grubbing corporate whores OTOH and dumb-as-dirt racist assholes on the other.

What this primary told us is that the old Republican model is, well, old. The party has cast its tenets into stone, but the problem is that no one candidate can kneel at that many monuments facing that many directions.

And you're probaby right, that leaves the uninformed to decide the nominees, in both parties. The problem the Republicans have is that racists, bankers, and fundies aren't often smart enough to even spot their common good and work towards it any more.

Do the racists, bankers, and fundies even have a common good? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-07-2016, 11:02 PM
(06-07-2016 02:21 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(06-07-2016 12:18 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I agree that his status is based on being a loudmouth, sounding different, but I have not a single doubt that based on his stated policies, he's a shill for the uber-wealthy. He throws a bone or two to the TPers with his rhetoric about the wall or banning Muslim immigration (which also pleases the fundies).

It occurs to me that what we might be witnessing with Trump is a ‘WASP’ backlash. As the demographics of the country continue to change many who have been used to being in the majority find themselves for the first time living in a country that just had eight years with a black man as POTUS, the strong likelihood of the first female POTUS, a distant possibility of having the first Jewish POTUS and not being able to control who will be the next president.

Many of my best friends are white (sorry, couldn’t resist Angel ) and while not all of them feel this way a few do and are struggling with the concept of being in the minority.

Absolutely. One reason why Trump got the Republican nomination is that his constituency, white males, feel hurt for losing their privileges.

Full disclosure: I am a white male, but I'm not butthurt.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
07-07-2016, 09:08 PM
(06-07-2016 11:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-07-2016 10:57 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  What this primary told us is that the old Republican model is, well, old. The party has cast its tenets into stone, but the problem is that no one candidate can kneel at that many monuments facing that many directions.

Do the racists, bankers, and fundies even have a common good? Consider

Of course not, which is exactly my point. The Republican party, as we know it, is fracturing under our own observation. They will probably survive, but Trump's candidacy has brought out into the open these deep cleavages.

That's one way Trump's candidacy is good for the nation: he is forcing one of the two major parties to reexamine its premises.

The other way he helps, in spite of himself, is that he bring to the forefront the fact that racism is still a major problem.

The Republicans have two options, thanks to his loud mouth: they can either chain themselves to his rhetoric and go down with the ship, or they can distance themselves from it, and go the way of the Whigs and Know-nothings.