4.0 Earthquake in SW Michigan

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2015, 05:30 AM
4.0 Earthquake in SW Michigan
I live here in SW Michigan. A buddy of mine texted me and asked if I heard something. He heard the quake.

I didn't notice. I was driving in the car at the time. As bad as Michigan roads are - it'd have to be a 7.0 or better before you'd notice.

It's weird - I'm frequently someplace where I don't feel the quake.

The biggest - was a 5.9 or so in Anchorage. I was in an elevator at the time. When the doors opened - a couple people standing outside the elevator asked "Weren't you scared??" -- I said "No -- I've been in an elevator before".... I didn't have a clue what they were talking about.

Been in bed and slept through a couple as well.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2015, 05:38 AM
RE: 4.0 Earthquake in SW Michigan
(03-05-2015 05:30 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I live here in SW Michigan. A buddy of mine texted me and asked if I heard something. He heard the quake.

I didn't notice. I was driving in the car at the time. As bad as Michigan roads are - it'd have to be a 7.0 or better before you'd notice.

The biggest - was a 5.9 or so in Anchorage. I was in an elevator at the time. When the doors opened - a couple people standing outside the elevator asked "Weren't you scared??" -- I said "No -- I've been in an elevator before".... I didn't have a clue what they were talking about.

I'm in Holt, just South of Lansing and I didn't feel anything. Would have never even known it had happened if I didn't hear about it on the news.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
03-05-2015, 05:39 AM
(03-05-2015 05:30 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I live here in SW Michigan. A buddy of mine texted me and asked if I heard something. He heard the quake.

Crazy. Didn't know y'all got earthquakes. I wonder if it's the same fault line as here...

I've slept through all of them we've had in Alabama...but I think they're like 2s or something when they happen. Barely enough to knock a poorly hung picture off the wall. We get more action from them testing rocket engines on the arsenal.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
03-05-2015, 06:00 AM
(03-05-2015 05:39 AM)Nurse Wrote:  

Crazy. Didn't know y'all got earthquakes. I wonder if it's the same fault line as here...

I've slept through all of them we've had in Alabama...but I think they're like 2s or something when they happen. Barely enough to knock a poorly hung picture off the wall. We get more action from them testing rocket engines on the arsenal.

Don't know. Thing is 4.2 is the second most powerful earthquake Michigan has felt in its history. Biggest was 4.6 long time ago around the same area this one hit. Very unusual.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
03-05-2015, 07:33 AM
I live in CA, we get lots of rumbles here. A lot of buildings/structures have been retrofitted. I usually sleep through most earthquakes and luckily haven't been in any areas that have had some pretty bad ones.
03-05-2015, 07:38 AM
Not much damage -- but the guy who manages the grocery where I shop lives in Galesburg - -which was pretty close to epicenter.

His wife was at home - and said all the stuff fell off the walls - and a bookcase tipped over destroying a coffee table. Lost a grandfather clock too..

No real damage to the house - not even a broken window.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
03-05-2015, 07:45 AM
(03-05-2015 07:38 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Not much damage -- but the guy who manages the grocery where I shop lives in Galesburg - -which was pretty close to epicenter.

His wife was at home - and said all the stuff fell off the walls - and a bookcase tipped over destroying a coffee table. Lost a grandfather clock too..

No real damage to the house - not even a broken window.

Well, that's good. The last one we had some poor guy who owned a liquor store had all of his bottles smashed onto the floor. So far, I haven't had any damage to any of my stuff.
03-05-2015, 07:52 AM
(03-05-2015 07:45 AM)jennybee Wrote:  The last one we had some poor guy who owned a liquor store had all of his bottles smashed onto the floor.

Now THAT is tragic.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
03-05-2015, 08:00 AM
(03-05-2015 07:52 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(03-05-2015 07:45 AM)jennybee Wrote:  The last one we had some poor guy who owned a liquor store had all of his bottles smashed onto the floor.

Now THAT is tragic.

LOL yea it was Tongue
03-05-2015, 10:04 AM
(03-05-2015 07:52 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  

Now THAT is tragic.

It's alcohol abuse.....

poor alcohol.. Sadcryface

[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post