4 in 10 Americans suppor Creationism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2010, 04:24 PM
RE: 4 in 10 Americans suppor Creationism
The biggest problem with the US right now is the 24/7 news cycle. I think when you really peel back the onion on the US, most people are moderates. Political moderates, religious moderates, etc. The biggest problem we moderates have is we have jobs, families and lives. We don't have time to run on TV and attend protest rallies. We don't have time to follow Rush Limbaugh and other radio blowhards in the middle of the afternoon because we are working. Sure, most of us are on vacation the next 2 weeks but otherwise we simply don't have the time to get involved in this stupidity.

Moderation is the real rule in the US. The problem is that with a two party system and the differences between the being so minuscule politicians have to cater to the fringes to somehow differentiate themselves from the next guy. Anyone who follows US politics will see a pattern that candidates campaign to the extremes and generally govern from the middle.

Forget what you read about the recent elections here. They had nothing to do with embracing the extreme right or the Tea Parties. It was just a rejection of the majority party Democrats and that was mostly because we bailed out all the scumbags who caused this mess, allowed them to stay filthy rich, and unemployment is still hovering at 10%. It had nothing to do with the conservatives. Americans flip back and forth between the two parties depending on which way the economy blows. If things turn around, Obama gets a 2nd term. If they do not, he's out. And if the Republicans can't turn it around, they will be gone too.

The only glitch in this cycle since WWII was 2004 when Bush and the Republicans effectively scared a large number of people into voting for them, but that is unlikely to happen again (unless we get hit again, in which case all bets are off).

I wouldn't worry about the US. Moderates are mostly the rule. Sadly, we've let some real wingnuts into office right now, but they won't last.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2010, 08:15 PM

I can definitely see the correlation between educational level and creationism. My high school education in evolution involved the teacher prefacing with, "Evolution is just one opinion on origins that might not be true." We then spent two class periods on the subject. Imagine if my education had ended there? Teachers are allowed to put whatever spin on evolution they like as long as there aren't any students in their classes aware enough to protest.
Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2010, 11:48 PM
(20-12-2010 04:07 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I want to say this carefully, but I do want to say it.
I have several American friends, and there are many Americans That I both like and respect....but....I am very concerned about the direction the U.S. is headed. I am VERY thankful I am a Canadian. To my American friends here, please don't take offense. You are what gives me hope that the States won't flush itself down the toilet (and take other countries with less power with them!)

I am also Canadian and I totally agree with Stark Raving's post and have the same sentiments. May the force of reason rule.
21-12-2010, 12:21 AM
No offense taken. I'm as worried as you are.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-12-2010, 08:16 AM
(20-12-2010 04:07 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I want to say this carefully, but I do want to say it.
I have several American friends, and there are many Americans That I both like and respect....but....I am very concerned about the direction the U.S. is headed. I am VERY thankful I am a Canadian. To my American friends here, please don't take offense. You are what gives me hope that the States won't flush itself down the toilet (and take other countries with less power with them!)

Funny you should say that, cause I'm thinking I'm going to be getting out of America after college. Every time I talk to my mother about this, she tells me to get out while I can. Forgive, but I just might not be going down with the ship.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
22-12-2010, 12:41 AM
Only the captain is obligated to go down with the ship, yet many captains are the first to leave the ship. So you are definitely excused. I didn't say forgiven because it sounds too religious to me.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
22-12-2010, 08:24 AM
Ew...A bot. And a bad one at that.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
22-12-2010, 10:21 AM
(22-12-2010 08:24 AM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  Ew...A bot. And a bad one at that.

Where!? Huh

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
22-12-2010, 10:27 AM
(22-12-2010 10:21 AM)ThinkingNorseman Wrote:  

Where!? Huh

Cleaned up. So much nicer now that we have mods.

22-12-2010, 10:32 AM
(22-12-2010 10:27 AM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  
(22-12-2010 10:21 AM)ThinkingNorseman Wrote:  

Where!? Huh

Cleaned up. So much nicer now that we have mods.

LOL, sorry. Habit to remove the bots post but leave everything else as-is.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Youtube and Science vs. Creationism cre8ivmind 5 131 17-06-2014 01:59 PM
Last Post: dancefortwo
  Will cosmos solve America's Creationism problem Aleprauchanist 50 857 22-03-2014 10:52 PM
Last Post: Logisch
  What's more weird - Alienism or Creationism Korin 23 833 30-06-2013 10:44 PM
Last Post: NoahsFarce
  Yours favorite arguments for creationism viocjit 154 3,058 16-06-2013 05:49 PM
Last Post: nach_in
  Pat Robertson doesn't believe in creationism cturner2020 13 655 04-12-2012 11:20 PM
Last Post: cturner2020