4 in 10 Americans suppor Creationism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2010, 10:57 PM
RE: 4 in 10 Americans suppor Creationism
(20-12-2010 04:07 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I want to say this carefully, but I do want to say it.
I have several American friends, and there are many Americans That I both like and respect....but....I am very concerned about the direction the U.S. is headed. I am VERY thankful I am a Canadian. To my American friends here, please don't take offense. You are what gives me hope that the States won't flush itself down the toilet (and take other countries with less power with them!)

I agree, and no offense taken. I have many fellow American friends that believe in evolution and are either atheist, agnostic, or atleast liberal christian. On the other hand there are many ignorant Americans and it scares me. My campus even has an campus outreach program that is real conservative as I went to some of their meetings just because I wanted to see what it was about exactly. Also there are too many people that don't even question their faith despite the facts. My question to you Stark Raving is what is Canada like? I would think it is more liberal and less religious, which is what I want our country to be like, but I want to get your perspective. I respect Canada, and other less religious countries such as industrialized europe. My hope is that religion lessens its grip on our society like it has on the other industrialized countries. The scariest thing is that we are the most religous industrialized country.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2010, 11:39 PM
Hey Omega

I don't know if we are, per capita, a less religous country than the U.S. I am pretty confident that we are, but simply don't have the numbers to back that up. So when you ask for my perspective, just remember, that's exactly what you are getting.

I think the big difference here is that we are much more "multi-cultural". As a result, we are more accepting of different views and beliefs, and as a result, accept that since we are such a diverse nation, we simply cannot govern from a religous standpoint. That trickles down (or up, depending on how you look at it) to individuals, and how they think their own beliefs should impact others. Now that's not to say we don't have radicals here too. I just think they are fewer in numbers, and have fewer audience members willing to give them the time of day. For at least a part of our history, Canada in general, sort of tried to emulate the U.S. I feel that we are coming into our own, and steering away from viewing the U.S. as our "Big Brother". Our independence is growing, and since we remain such a multi-cultural country, we are embracing our own style. That, to me, is a relief. I have long feared that Canada would follow in the footsteps of the U.S. and among many other things, that would mean religion finding it's way further into our government and laws. Instead, I see us pulling away from that.

I do not consider myself patriotic. I am far too critical to be a patriot. I am, however, very much enamoured with the country I live in. It is not only one of the most beautiful and diverse places on the planet, but it's a place where I am allowed to be critical. I am, in fact encouraged to be so. We have a long way to go (the public does what the government says, instead of the other way around) but I see Canada going in a positive direction. So far, in my short and sheltered time on earth, I see the U.S. going the other way. I fear that religion is gaining too strong a hold on America. You are our neighbors, and a good relationship with you is important. If we continue on our path, and you continue on yours, then I forsee a rift growing between us. That rift could prove dangerous, and if it becomes too wide, I fear Canada will attempt to follow your path, and be worse off for it.

Of course all of this is fears and hopes. They are not projections of what I think will happen. Only possibilities of what may happen. Right now there's lots of room for improvement, but if Canada keeps it's ego in check, then I think those improvements will continue to manifest.

I know this is a bit of a ramble, but alas, an author I am not. If I haven't answered your question, please ask me more. I am happy to share my thoughts, as long as you can tolerate a little verbal diarrhea!

Just visiting.

-SR
23-12-2010, 03:42 PM
I wish we were more multicultural. Many college campuses our trying to be that way in order to increase our understanding of the world, and become more tolerant. There is still too much intolerance here though. In fact I said that our country was great but other countires our great too, and yet I was told that I should get out by a couple of people. I never said any country was better but that our country was one of multiple great ones (my definition of great means industrialized). I took offense to those two people and said that they need to understand the world more, and that I still love our country and have no intentions of ever leaving, then I walked away as I do when my atheism is attacked.

Glad to see that you all are becoming more independent as I do agree with you on that statement. It was a joke made by some Americans that Canada is just our little brother. You all seem to be making great strides politically though. Also Canada is equally as industrialized as our country.

All in all, my stance is that the United States is a great country but we are not alone when it comes to great countries Canada being one of them. I do think that we need to be less religious and more tolerant. We are the leading economic power and the world economy relies on the United States to a great extent. Which is why becoming less religious and more secular is important because we need to become more modern and more industrialized and not conform to an ancient book and a made up deity for support.

You have answered my question thank you.
25-12-2010, 10:40 PM

This website has some interesting facts:

http://www.adherents.com/largecom/com_atheist.html

In Canada, the census gathers information about religion every 10 years, on years ending with a 1. So the most recent data was from 2001 and they should be gathering new data in 2011. Putting my issues with Census of Canada aside, it'll be interesting to see how the numbers have changed within the last 10 years. These are the percentages of people who consider themselves Atheists, Agnostics, Humanists, or believe in no god.

1981: 7.4%
1991: 12.3%
2001: 16.2%
Quote this message in a reply
29-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Yay Canada, we are advancing into atheist country soon. Europe its on its way to the atheist path too. Not too sure with America, but I think its slowly on its way to the atheist path.

"don't jump to conclusions until your 99%"

"dreams are the best source of creativity" me
30-12-2010, 08:30 AM

We have to realize that history goes through cycles. Current gains in levels of disbelief could easily be overturned with a new wave of deeper religious faith brought upon by some inexplicable or unpredictable event or tragedy. Atheism has often taken 2 steps forward and 1 step backwards, as new waves of religious movements overturn some gains, such as what happened after the Enlightenment, and after Darwin.
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2011, 04:29 PM
(30-12-2010 08:30 AM)TruthAddict Wrote:  We have to realize that history goes through cycles. Current gains in levels of disbelief could easily be overturned with a new wave of deeper religious faith brought upon by some inexplicable or unpredictable event or tragedy. Atheism has often taken 2 steps forward and 1 step backwards, as new waves of religious movements overturn some gains, such as what happened after the Enlightenment, and after Darwin.

Well as of now we don't know who has the winning side yet.

Both Non-believers and evangelicals are the biggest rising populations in the United States. I think I read some where that evans are rising nearly 1,000% every 10 years. The sad thing that born again evangelicals have more influence in government.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-01-2011, 11:07 PM
(20-12-2010 04:07 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I want to say this carefully, but I do want to say it.
I have several American friends, and there are many Americans That I both like and respect....but....I am very concerned about the direction the U.S. is headed. I am VERY thankful I am a Canadian. To my American friends here, please don't take offense. You are what gives me hope that the States won't flush itself down the toilet (and take other countries with less power with them!)

I hear you. I'm American, and I hate the stupidity I see here in the US.

The Beauty of The Scientific Method , is the Anticipation of a Better Explanation.
27-01-2011, 11:01 PM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2011 11:11 PM by LeighJones.)
(20-12-2010 12:31 PM)ThinkingNorseman Wrote:  
(20-12-2010 10:38 AM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  education also plays a role, with 25% of college graduates being creationists(still to high) compared to 65% of high school drop outs.

How can they graduate? I thought science class was mandatory!?

Meh, I wrote stuff I didn't believe just to pass classes (R.E mostly) Even in English classes if I didn't care for the text or subject I would write: "the author is saying that... (And then I would proceed to regurgitate whatever had been discussed in class)"