40,000-year-old rope-making tool found in famed German cave

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2016, 02:41 PM
40,000-year-old rope-making tool found in famed German cave
[Image: NzcRvWA_zpsxjl3nwus.jpg]

Quote:Archaeologists excavating the Hohle Fels Cave in the Swabian Jura of southwestern Germany have discovered a 40,000-year-old tool used to make rope. The piece was unearthed in August of last year by an international team led by Prof. Nicholas Conard of the University of Tübingen. Carved from mammoth ivory, the object is eight inches long and the wider side is dotted with four holes 7-9 millimeters in diameter. The holes are incised with deep spirals which are not decorative, but practical features that help thread plant fibers into strong rope.

link

Your move, AIG...

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 17 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
28-07-2016, 02:58 PM
RE: 40,000-year-old rope-making tool found in famed German cave
(28-07-2016 02:41 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  [Image: NzcRvWA_zpsxjl3nwus.jpg]

Quote:Archaeologists excavating the Hohle Fels Cave in the Swabian Jura of southwestern Germany have discovered a 40,000-year-old tool used to make rope. The piece was unearthed in August of last year by an international team led by Prof. Nicholas Conard of the University of Tübingen. Carved from mammoth ivory, the object is eight inches long and the wider side is dotted with four holes 7-9 millimeters in diameter. The holes are incised with deep spirals which are not decorative, but practical features that help thread plant fibers into strong rope.

link

Your move, AIG...

Don't you know, Scientists are conspiring to make everything look older than it is because.......because they hate god so much so it can't be any older than 6000 years. Facepalm

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
28-07-2016, 08:57 PM
(28-07-2016 02:58 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Don't you know, Scientists are conspiring to make everything look older than it is because.......because they hate god so much so it can't be any older than 6000 years. Facepalm

I watched a Potholer54 youtube video in which he perfectly described creationism's distrust of science: 1) They don't understand the science, so they think the theories that contrast with their worldview must be wrong; 2) And if all scientists are wrong, it must mean that they are all involved in a conspiracy to hide the truth of creation.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like ghostexorcist's post
28-07-2016, 10:56 PM
That's an amazing find.

Thanks for sharing it, Hobbit!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
29-07-2016, 09:20 AM
(28-07-2016 08:57 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(28-07-2016 02:58 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Don't you know, Scientists are conspiring to make everything look older than it is because.......because they hate god so much so it can't be any older than 6000 years. Facepalm

I watched a Potholer54 youtube video in which he perfectly described creationism's distrust of science: 1) They don't understand the science, so they think the theories that contrast with their worldview must be wrong; 2) And if all scientists are wrong, it must mean that they are all involved in a conspiracy to hide the truth of creation.

Hadn't heard of potholer54 before. Went and watched a video. Creationists en brochette! Bowing
29-07-2016, 09:27 AM
Even with evidence like that, you have a stupid population in Kentucky willing to wast 18 million tax payer dollars on a monument to a myth.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-07-2016, 12:38 PM
German engineering, top notch since......at least 40k years. Angel

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 6 users Like Deesse23's post
29-07-2016, 03:22 PM
(29-07-2016 09:20 AM)Fireball Wrote:  
(28-07-2016 08:57 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I watched a Potholer54 youtube video in which he perfectly described creationism's distrust of science: 1) They don't understand the science, so they think the theories that contrast with their worldview must be wrong; 2) And if all scientists are wrong, it must mean that they are all involved in a conspiracy to hide the truth of creation.

Hadn't heard of potholer54 before. Went and watched a video. Creationists en brochette! Bowing

I watched the one with the dinosaur eggs being laid while running away from the Flood. Hahahaha. Wow. And the guy called himself a "Professor" Double wow.

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
29-07-2016, 03:50 PM
Which potholer54 video? I watched one of his anti-Creationist ones, but I don't think I got the one to which you guys are referring.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
29-07-2016, 06:08 PM
(29-07-2016 03:50 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Which potholer54 video? I watched one of his anti-Creationist ones, but I don't think I got the one to which you guys are referring.

This is the one I watched. I think there are a couple more.

The "professor" has an Australian, outback looking costume on like he just came out of a field dig. It's so funny.

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post