40 years to cross the desert?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2011, 05:01 PM

40 years to cross the desert?
Time for math. Smile Distance on land between Cairo and Jerusalem is 256 miles. It would take 4.3 hours by car, about an hour by plane, or 51 days on foot traveling 5 miles a day. It took the Israelites 40 years to cross the desert, that is 14,600 days. 256/14,600 = 0.017 miles traveled every day. There are 5,280 feet in a mile, 5,280 * 0.017 = 89.76 they traveled 90 feet every day. What the hell were they doing that made it take so much longer than it needed to be? I understand that there were children, but if they went 2 miles a days it only would have taken them 128 days, that is about 1/3 of a year.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes FormorJew's post
09-10-2011, 05:17 PM
RE: 40 years to cross the desert?
Can you imagine how much time it must have taken for them to hide all that evidence of their existence. It certainly must have slowed them down
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2011, 05:25 PM
(09-10-2011 05:01 PM)FormorJew Wrote:  What the hell were they doing that made it take so much longer than it needed to be?

Walking in circles. Happens to everyone in the desert without a compass.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
09-10-2011, 05:52 PM
(09-10-2011 05:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-10-2011 05:01 PM)FormorJew Wrote:  What the hell were they doing that made it take so much longer than it needed to be?

If they had walked in a search pattern, so that they could see every bit of the peninsula on their walk, they would still have needed less than a year.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2011, 06:43 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2011 07:06 PM by GirlyMan.)
(09-10-2011 05:52 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(09-10-2011 05:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

If they had walked in a search pattern, so that they could see every bit of the peninsula on their walk, they would still have needed less than a year.

"Search pattern? What the fuck is that?", they asked inquisitively. Bottom line is that they weren't much smarter than the wildebeests or whatever other food source they were tracking. ... Oh wait, that's right they were tracking manna from heaven. Good fucking luck with that. There's a goddam random walk if ever I've heard one.

09-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Walk in a straight line. You'll be able to see X miles on either side, so you cover a swathe 2X wide as you cross the peninsula. You then move down 2X and go the other way. Repeat as needed. The Coast Guard uses (or used) this type of search pattern when looking for lost ships. Obviously a plane has a much greater X than a person on foot.
09-10-2011, 07:05 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2011 07:11 PM by GirlyMan.)
(09-10-2011 06:51 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Walk in a straight line.

The problem is that almost nobody has an equal span between their left steps and their right steps. Almost nobody can walk in a straight line without additional points of reference, which are few and far between in the desert. Desert Survival 101, stay put, make shade, try to make water and hope for help or else you'll just start walking in circles and nobody will find you.

(09-10-2011 06:51 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Walk in a straight line. You'll be able to see X miles on either side, so you cover a swathe 2X wide as you cross the peninsula. You then move down 2X and go the other way. Repeat as needed. The Coast Guard uses (or used) this type of search pattern when looking for lost ships. Obviously a plane has a much greater X than a person on foot.

Yes Gawdzilla, you and I understand what a search pattern is, but Moses sure as hell didn't have a fucking clue. Wink

09-10-2011, 07:16 PM
(09-10-2011 07:05 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

The problem is that almost nobody has an equal span between their left steps and their right steps. Almost nobody can walk in a straight line without additional points of reference, which are few and far between in the desert. Desert Survival 101, stay put, make shade, try to make water and hope for help or else you'll just start walking in circles and nobody will find you.

(09-10-2011 06:51 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Walk in a straight line. You'll be able to see X miles on either side, so you cover a swathe 2X wide as you cross the peninsula. You then move down 2X and go the other way. Repeat as needed. The Coast Guard uses (or used) this type of search pattern when looking for lost ships. Obviously a plane has a much greater X than a person on foot.

Yes Gawdzilla, you and I understand what a search pattern is, but Moses sure as hell didn't have a fucking clue. Wink
With a few thousand people it averages out.

As for Moses, we know that.
09-10-2011, 07:48 PM

(09-10-2011 07:05 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The problem is that almost nobody has an equal span between their left steps and their right steps. Almost nobody can walk in a straight line without additional points of reference, which are few and far between in the desert. Desert Survival 101, stay put, make shade, try to make water and hope for help or else you'll just start walking in circles and nobody will find you.

(09-10-2011 06:51 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  With a few thousand people it averages out.

Granted. But only if their gait is considered in the navigation. Don't think it was. Wink

09-10-2011, 07:56 PM
If God can part the Red Sea, he can give Moses a damn compass. I think they walked around the desert for forty years because God wanted none of the egyptian slaves themselves to reach the promised land (I don't know about that for sure, but I think there's something about that. Maybe). He wanted to get his vict... chosen people there, but he felt like screwing over all the people who dared defy him by, uh... being slaves... or something. So, no leaving the desert until all the original jews had died off.

Well, in the end, there are two justifications. The Hebrews were a bunch of primitive bronze age people, who were unable to escape the desert for much longer than the time required to actually get out, because they had no compasses, knowledge of cartography or pathfinding, etc...

Or god was a dick. Really, 99% of the sucky crap in the bible can be justified with that one. In several instances, this is essentially the canonical explanation.
[+] 1 user Likes Sines's post