45 posts and 0 arguments!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2017, 08:42 PM
45 posts and 0 arguments!
I used to be a devout Christian (like I have said here before) and had some attempts at street ministries and starting my own church. I cannot explain the emotionally toxic and draining and shocking experience of posting on Christian forums and especially (drum roll please) my attempts to remain civil on PASTORS.NET. Man oh man oh man was that site a real pit of vipers. A site supposedly for pastors and almost daily but consistently weekly I would find myself deflecting snarky, underhanded, cliquish responses from "pastors" there. They were incredibly racist and sexist and joked about homosexuals dying of AIDS. When Hurricane Katrina hit the moderator joked about wanting to go to New Orleans to do some target practice (on looters) and bragged how he would kill anyone knocking on his door at that time. I got so tired of the way they triple teamed anyone not in their little circle, and the consistent and unnecessary way they posted mean spirited, insulting replies. Pastors.net is Rick Warren's site and for someone who is all about building mall like mega-churches you would have thought they would have expected more loving, supportive behavior from pastors. Nope. Atheism has already shown me a more loving, intelligent path. Christianity was and is a false light.

So, I am celebrating that I have posted 45 times on this THINKING ATHEIST FORUM and have not been in a single argument with anyone! (I guess that shows I would have made a sucky pastor after all. I just don't have it in me to be snarky and mean.) THANKS for the community here.

Here is the thing about potential...You either use your gift or your gift uses you. You are either a rocket or a bomb.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 17 users Like Oaken's post
01-08-2017, 09:28 PM
RE: 45 posts and 0 arguments!
(01-08-2017 08:42 PM)Oaken Wrote:  So, I am celebrating that I have posted 45 times on this THINKING ATHEIST FORUM and have not been in a single argument with anyone!

I'd argue that. Tongue

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
01-08-2017, 09:32 PM
Pastors.net sounds really awful. Maybe there were a bunch of trolls that weren't really legit pastors, just being dicks? I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt!
[+] 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post
01-08-2017, 09:36 PM
(01-08-2017 09:32 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  Maybe there were a bunch of trolls that weren't really legit pastors, just being dicks? I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt!

The benefit of clergy, at it were. Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
01-08-2017, 09:44 PM
(01-08-2017 09:32 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  Pastors.net sounds really awful. Maybe there were a bunch of trolls that weren't really legit pastors, just being dicks? I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt!

I soo wanted that to be true but found that some of them had churches with 2000 people. I looked up their church pages. It was around this time I was noticing that

1) Narcissists are attracted to being pastors

2) Some people are attracted to narcissists

It started to make me bitter because the biggest jerks were having churches that were consistently growing. The NICE pastors were stuck doing house churches. It took years for my head and heart to understand that the Alpha male - Omega male thing was real. God and the holy spirit had nothing to do with what churches failed or succeeded, it was charisma and an insatiable need to be the high priest in the room.

Here is the thing about potential...You either use your gift or your gift uses you. You are either a rocket or a bomb.
[+] 5 users Like Oaken's post
01-08-2017, 09:44 PM
(01-08-2017 09:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(01-08-2017 08:42 PM)Oaken Wrote:  So, I am celebrating that I have posted 45 times on this THINKING ATHEIST FORUM and have not been in a single argument with anyone!

I'd argue that. Tongue

TongueSmileThumbsupBig Grin

01-08-2017, 09:46 PM
(01-08-2017 09:36 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(01-08-2017 09:32 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  Maybe there were a bunch of trolls that weren't really legit pastors, just being dicks? I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt!

Precisely!

01-08-2017, 09:51 PM
You must have a strong stomach to skirmish on a pastors forum. Wow. I doft my hat in your direction. Bowing

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
01-08-2017, 09:51 PM
(01-08-2017 09:36 PM)Vera Wrote:  

I can check the box for "learned something new", thanks. I had never heard of that. Part of the wiki:

Quote:In 1512, Henry VIII further restricted the benefit of clergy by making certain offences "unclergyable" offences; in the words of the statutes, they were "felonies without benefit of clergy." This restriction was condemned by Pope Leo X at the Fifth Lateran Council in 1514, and the resulting controversy (in which both the Lord Chief Justice and the Archbishop of Canterbury became involved) was one of the issues that would lead to Henry VIII splitting the Church of England from the Catholic Church in 1532.

I had thought dude just really really wanted a divorce...probably that's still the main thing.
And, Eliz I dropping the hammer because she was badass:

Quote:In 1575, a statute of Elizabeth I radically changed the effect of the benefit of clergy. Whereas before, the benefit was pleaded before a trial to have the case transferred to an ecclesiastical court, under the new system the benefit of clergy was pleaded after conviction but before sentencing, and it did not nullify the conviction, but rather changed the sentence for first-time offenders from probable hanging to branding and up to a year's incarceration.
01-08-2017, 09:58 PM
(01-08-2017 09:51 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  I can check the box for "learned something new", thanks. I had never heard of that. Part of the wiki:

Quote:In 1512, Henry VIII further restricted the benefit of clergy by making certain offences "unclergyable" offences; in the words of the statutes, they were "felonies without benefit of clergy." This restriction was condemned by Pope Leo X at the Fifth Lateran Council in 1514, and the resulting controversy (in which both the Lord Chief Justice and the Archbishop of Canterbury became involved) was one of the issues that would lead to Henry VIII splitting the Church of England from the Catholic Church in 1532.

I had thought dude just really really wanted a divorce...probably that's still the main thing.
And, Eliz I dropping the hammer because she was badass:

Quote:In 1575, a statute of Elizabeth I radically changed the effect of the benefit of clergy. Whereas before, the benefit was pleaded before a trial to have the case transferred to an ecclesiastical court, under the new system the benefit of clergy was pleaded after conviction but before sentencing, and it did not nullify the conviction, but rather changed the sentence for first-time offenders from probable hanging to branding and up to a year's incarceration.

Badass indeed.

And this is how I actually first came across it. Used to think I agreed with Orwell on pretty much everything...

... and then found out he was kinda homophobic Confused

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."