45 posts and 0 arguments!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2017, 12:46 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2017 01:37 PM by Vera.)
RE: 45 posts and 0 arguments!
(03-08-2017 10:10 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Sorry if I overgeneralized, but I would say that the things O.J. Simpson and Bill Cosby did (or were accused of doing -- I don't know whether or not there's still any doubt in either case) were worse than being racist or homophobic. I guess we all have lines that we draw, and I definitely wasn't picking on you or the lines that you personally draw. I just wanted to express a different view. No offense was intended. Maybe it has something to do with how much you like the artist's work. As you admit, you don't have much use for Clapton or Wagner anyway. I rate them much higher artistically than you do, and maybe I'm more willing to cut them some slack because of that. But I don't think that's it, really. It's just that I can admire a piece of art (and to me, what O.J. Simpson did on the football field, or Michael Jordan on a basketball court, qualifies) regardless of what kind of person the author of that art happens to be. Some people can't separate the two. I can and do. Disclaimer: I'm most definitely not claiming to be better than anyone else because of this -- maybe it even makes me worse than more discriminating people. But it's the way I am.

Oh, that's absolutely true about O.J. and Cosby, no question about it. I just don't care about them enough to comment on that, I guess.

And yeah, sport does not enter into the equation for me - you can put one foot in front of the other faster than most other men? Big fucking deal. (You should see me when I'm watching athletics and they skip all the fun disciplines in order to show me arrogant fucks like Bolt in the warming up section. Fuck this Censored )

Sorry, I digressed. Yeah, sportspeople and actors don't even enter into it at all for me. I mean, if I find an actor is a real jerk in life (cough*Mark*Wahlberg*cough. Or a hyper religious idiot, Caviezel or Hugh Jackman) I'll probably not watch many of their films. Which ain't that hard for me, anyway)

I think you just like Clapton a lot and that was a visceral reaction Wink

And yeah, it's a matter of personality. I just seem unable to separate the artist from the art (talking about major flaws, of course). Or rather, my enjoyment of said art and the knowledge that the artist was a vile human being. Like, if I found out that, in typical Catholic fashion, Vivaldi was abusing children, I would not change my opinion that his music is sublime but would I be able to enjoy it as much? Not sure and definitely do not want to find out Unsure

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
03-08-2017, 12:48 PM
Damn. I did not know that about Hugh Jackman. Ignorance was bliss.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
Find all posts by this user
03-08-2017, 01:07 PM
(03-08-2017 12:48 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Damn. I did not know that about Hugh Jackman. Ignorance was bliss.

"Hugh Jackman: ‘I’m a Christian’ and I Dedicate Every Performance to God" FacepalmFacepalmFacepalm

Found this out after I subjected my poor, already tortured brain to Dennis Villeneuve's atrocious Prisoners. Let me save you the mental anguish - you lose god, you become a serial killer of kiddies.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Fuck off, you pretentious, ascot-wearing Canadian twat (for bastardising Ted Chiang's story, too Dodgy )

[Image: MV5BMzU2MDk5MDI2MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDkw...17_AL_.jpg]

03-08-2017, 05:13 PM
(03-08-2017 12:46 PM)Vera Wrote:  And yeah, sport does not enter into the equation for me - you can put one foot in front of the other faster than most other men? Big fucking deal. (You should see me when I'm watching athletics and they skip all the fun disciplines in order to show me arrogant fucks like Bolt in the warming up section. Fuck this Censored )

I don't expect to change your mind here, but this is almost an unfair example of sports in general -- it is sport boiled down to one basic skill, the ability to run fast. Many sports are more complex that that. To take but one example, watching someone like Michael Jordan play basketball is, for me, every bit as satisfying as watching a ballet (and I love ballet). All that's missing is the music. Speaking of ballet, probably my favorite sport (if you can even call it a sport) is figure skating, because it literally is ballet -- they're just wearing skates instead of slippers. Good figure skating is so beautiful it can bring me to tears.

End of digression.

Tongue
03-08-2017, 05:32 PM
(03-08-2017 10:08 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  I do not think it is always a good thing to be polite to horrible claims, especially claims that attack the human rights of others, or even sell junk science and try to pass it off as fact.

I have always valued my fellow human's potential, POTENTIAL, to be compassionate, but we are not always compassionate. Sometimes our species can be horribly violently cruel, Hitler and Stalin come to mind.

When it comes to religious justifications for bigotry, justifications for denial of rights, and justifications for violence in the name of religion, no, I refuse to always be polite in those contexts.

I got a little of that militant good Samaritan in me too. No good has ever come of it. "Goddamit man, hold still, this tourniquet is for your own good, you're bleeding out from your ephemeral artery."

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
03-08-2017, 05:41 PM
(03-08-2017 12:46 PM)Vera Wrote:  And yeah, sport does not enter into the equation for me - you can put one foot in front of the other faster than most other men? Big fucking deal. (You should see me when I'm watching athletics and they skip all the fun disciplines in order to show me arrogant fucks like Bolt in the warming up section. Fuck this Censored )

You misunderstand the purpose of sport. It is to identify the seeds we're gonna store in the global seed vault Elkster is guarding for us in Svalbard. There's not room for all of us.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
03-08-2017, 05:58 PM
(03-08-2017 10:27 AM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  On top of the whole not supporting a homophobic bible-thumper, I am really bothered by the fact that at our closest Chik-Fil-A they make employees stand outside in the blazing hot southern sun (or freezing cold in winter) for hours at a time to speed up the drive-through. Inhumane.

It's so damn good though. Every CFA around here has long lines stretching out no matter what hour (except Sunday of course) and the people are needed outside to speed it up. It's actually a pretty in-demand job for the neighborhood kids.
03-08-2017, 06:34 PM
(03-08-2017 05:13 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I don't expect to change your mind here, but this is almost an unfair example of sports in general -- it is sport boiled down to one basic skill, the ability to run fast. Many sports are more complex that that. To take but one example, watching someone like Michael Jordan play basketball is, for me, every bit as satisfying as watching a ballet (and I love ballet). All that's missing is the music. Speaking of ballet, probably my favorite sport (if you can even call it a sport) is figure skating, because it literally is ballet -- they're just wearing skates instead of slippers. Good figure skating is so beautiful it can bring me to tears.

End of digression.

Tongue
I can appreciate the skill involved in some sports (unlike others, cough*running*cough) and I do enjoy some of them (athletics, diving, hell, a lot of the more obscure ones, too) and it's a decent pastime when there's nothing better to do, but doesn't even come within the marathon distance of the epitome of humankind's greatness that are the arts (and science).

(I prefer individual sports to team sports, because in team sports there's one winner and one loser and I feel bad for the guys who lose. In individual sports there's only one winner and the loss is kinda shared between the rest of them. Takes the sting out Blush )

(03-08-2017 05:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You misunderstand the purpose of sport. It is to identify the seeds we're gonna store in the global seed vault Elkster is guarding for us in Svalbard. There's not room for all of us.

You can't take that away from meeee.

And I shudder to think of a humanity derived from the genetic material of Bolts and O.J.'s, and Tysons

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
03-08-2017, 06:52 PM
(03-08-2017 06:34 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(03-08-2017 05:13 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I don't expect to change your mind here, but this is almost an unfair example of sports in general -- it is sport boiled down to one basic skill, the ability to run fast. Many sports are more complex that that. To take but one example, watching someone like Michael Jordan play basketball is, for me, every bit as satisfying as watching a ballet (and I love ballet). All that's missing is the music. Speaking of ballet, probably my favorite sport (if you can even call it a sport) is figure skating, because it literally is ballet -- they're just wearing skates instead of slippers. Good figure skating is so beautiful it can bring me to tears.

End of digression.

Tongue
I can appreciate the skill involved in some sports (unlike others, cough*running*cough) and I do enjoy some of them (athletics, diving, hell, a lot of the more obscure ones, too) and it's a decent pastime when there's nothing better to do, but doesn't even come within the marathon distance of the epitome of humankind's greatness that are the arts (and science).

(I prefer individual sports to team sports, because in team sports there's one winner and one loser and I feel bad for the guys who lose. In individual sports there's only one winner and the loss is kinda shared between the rest of them. Takes the sting out Blush )

(03-08-2017 05:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You misunderstand the purpose of sport. It is to identify the seeds we're gonna store in the global seed vault Elkster is guarding for us in Svalbard. There's not room for all of us.

You can't take that away from meeee.

And I shudder to think of a humanity derived from the genetic material of Bolts and O.J.'s, and Tysons

Obscure, eh? So there's a guy in Canada picking up on some gal, and lets slip that he has a gold Olympic Medal. "Oh, wow, really?! What was your sport?" [Looks into beard] I was a sweeper on the curling team.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
03-08-2017, 06:54 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2017 11:00 PM by GirlyMan.)
(03-08-2017 06:34 PM)Vera Wrote:  And I shudder to think of a humanity derived from the genetic material of Bolts and O.J.'s, and Tysons

I take your point about OJ and Tyson, but what did Bolt do? Was he caught fucking a giraffe? It wouldn't surprise because I'm pretty sure his father fucked a giraffe.

And this girl? If I were here I'd just be harvesting and selling my eggs every month to the highest bidder. She could fund the entire Medicaid expansion in Maryland by selling them to some dude in Hong Kong with some shady ties to some ethically-suspect cloning researchers in South Korea.

Warms me cockles that she's a comrade from the Peoples Republic of Maryland. Warms me cockles even more that she can do this and still pass the WADA drug tests. Big Grin