4th grade "science" quiz makes me want to wretch

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2013, 06:57 PM
RE: 4th grade "science" quiz makes me want to wretch
Here's what I know about homeschooling. We looked into it because my daughter wasn't physically safe at our local public school. We left the day we had to file police reports and the poor kid was just in kindergarten...but that's a 'nother thread.

back to homeschooling.
Each state is different in their requirements. Each state has an education dept that sets the minimum standard for public schools. Basically it tells you what topic will be covered in each grade. For example, 2nd grade math will include telling time with analog and digital clock face, addition and subtraction up to 20, measurement with ruler, etc.

SOME states will require home schoolers to take standardized test every year--they don't necessarily have to pass--they just have to take it. Some states you have to turn in records and pass a test. I have 2 SIL's in Illinois that bible-bang home school. She told me over Christmas when we were visiting that they don't have to do anything. They filled out a form that says they home school and that's it. No testing requirements of any kind to be turned it to the state. none. zilch. That's 10 kids between the 2 of them. And while they all seem very bright and I know my SIL's are teaching them a variety of subjects, those kids are a bit strange...all 10 of them. I'm afraid the world is going to eat them alive once they leave college. I'm sure they will most likely attend Moody or Wheaton for college like others in that family.

It makes me want to scream, I'm scared for my nieces and nephews, and I'm also glad that we live far, far away and they don't have an influence in our daily life.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2013, 07:03 PM
Also remember this wasn't a public school it's purported to be private. They can teach what they want.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

14-05-2013, 07:05 PM (This post was last modified: 14-05-2013 07:12 PM by Bows and Arrows.)
Here's a US map with the states labeled on their requirements....think about the number of kids in the green & yellow states with no monitoring.

http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp

green states- you don't even need to tell the state you are homeschooling...just never register them in school.
yellow states - require parents to notify the state that they are homeschooling. that's it.
orange states- notification of state, and some testing (many only have to submit scores every 3rd year)
red states- more requirements

[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
14-05-2013, 07:10 PM
(14-05-2013 07:03 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Also remember this wasn't a public school it's purported to be private. They can teach what they want.

Can they?

I don't know what goes on in SC, but where I live even private schools must teach an approved core curriculum. They can teach whatever "additional" subjects they wish (religion, etc) but Science class is Science class regardless of which school it's taught in.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
14-05-2013, 07:16 PM
(14-05-2013 07:03 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Also remember this wasn't a public school it's purported to be private. They can teach what they want.

true. Private schools can have their own curriculum, most are required to meet the basic standards for the state but can add whatever twist they want.

14-05-2013, 07:21 PM
(14-05-2013 06:57 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Here's what I know about homeschooling. We looked into it because my daughter wasn't physically safe at our local public school. We left the day we had to file police reports and the poor kid was just in kindergarten...but that's a 'nother thread.

back to homeschooling.
Each state is different in their requirements. Each state has an education dept that sets the minimum standard for public schools. Basically it tells you what topic will be covered in each grade. For example, 2nd grade math will include telling time with analog and digital clock face, addition and subtraction up to 20, measurement with ruler, etc.

SOME states will require home schoolers to take standardized test every year--they don't necessarily have to pass--they just have to take it. Some states you have to turn in records and pass a test. I have 2 SIL's in Illinois that bible-bang home school. She told me over Christmas when we were visiting that they don't have to do anything. They filled out a form that says they home school and that's it. No testing requirements of any kind to be turned it to the state. none. zilch. That's 10 kids between the 2 of them. And while they all seem very bright and I know my SIL's are teaching them a variety of subjects, those kids are a bit strange...all 10 of them. I'm afraid the world is going to eat them alive once they leave college. I'm sure they will most likely attend Moody or Wheaton for college like others in that family.

It makes me want to scream, I'm scared for my nieces and nephews, and I'm also glad that we live far, far away and they don't have an influence in our daily life.

Regarding homeschooling, I've got a friend who claims she's homeschooling her child. By homeschooling I literally mean the child is sat down in front of the computer a few hours a day, while mom chats on her phone for HOURS.

The child in question was recently tested and it was found she was waaaaaaay behind in all her subjects. The mom spent hours and hours emailing everyone she knew how it was the government wanting too much so that kids MUST attend school where they can be heartlessly bulliied.

And no, this person doesn't live in the US. She lives in Australia for what it's worth..

Now, I actually looked into homeschooling my youngest son....personally I'd much rather sprinkle my arm with salt and try to eat that. Most of the inexpensive curriculums I found were all faith based. In fact, I couldn't find a single science one that was at the very least secular.

I did find a couple after hours and hours of digging through crap.

I'm glad it didn't come to that...

The third homeschool story I have was a huge success. The parents were reasonable and all their daughters went on to really good universities. And all "graduated" early...because they did it year around...without breaks I guess.

Could all be bullshit....no real clue, we don't associate with them except for cards at christmastime.

14-05-2013, 07:24 PM
(14-05-2013 07:16 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  

true. Private schools can have their own curriculum, most are required to meet the basic standards for the state but can add whatever twist they want.
Yea and unfortunately science isn't required much for young grades...

Hell, they cut out science all together in public schools because of the budget crap in elementary school. State tests on math and reading....they dropped the science test for all students.

14-05-2013, 07:28 PM
(14-05-2013 07:16 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  

Sorry, but I'm having a hard time with this. Perhaps it's just one of those US-Canada differences that I wasn't aware of and has now suddenly slapped-me-upside-the-head. This is some scary and disturbing shit if it's for real.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
14-05-2013, 07:37 PM
(14-05-2013 07:28 PM)Heathen Wrote:  
(14-05-2013 07:16 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  true. Private schools can have their own curriculum, most are required to meet the basic standards for the state but can add whatever twist they want.

Sorry, but I'm having a hard time with this. Perhaps it's just one of those US-Canada differences that I wasn't aware of and has now suddenly slapped-me-upside-the-head. This is some scary and disturbing shit if it's for real.

I went to baptist grammar school that taught dinosaurs NEVER existed. We had little world history that wasn't biblical.
Science class consisted of learning parts of body. Gentials excluded of course...

And the earth was 6k years old period. The dog made all..men had ONE LESS rib because of Eve.
No animal has ever become extinct (it was told it was a scientific mistake or soemthing).

Of course this was whole lotta years ago...
Drinking Beverage

14-05-2013, 07:44 PM
I went to private Catholic schools in the 60's/70's in Ontario Canada. But I was taught the same core curriculum as public school students. Often by priests and nuns, but they didn't actually teach Science. We did get religious classes went to mass and all the rest, but we were taught the same Science and History as prescribed by the Ontario Government. This situation in NC is kinda blowing my mind. I'm having a hard time accepting that the State is not investigating this.