4th grade "science" quiz makes me want to wretch

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2013, 07:54 PM
RE: 4th grade "science" quiz makes me want to wretch
(14-05-2013 07:44 PM)Heathen Wrote:  I went to private Catholic schools in the 60's/70's in Ontario Canada. But I was taught the same core curriculum as public school students. Often by priests and nuns, but they didn't actually teach Science. We did get religious classes went to mass and all the rest, but we were taught the same Science and History as prescribed by the Ontario Government. This situation in NC is kinda blowing my mind. I'm having a hard time accepting that the State is not investigating this.

Separation of church and state. If the kids weren't learning to read or couldn't do math...then there'd be issues.

All around science in primary and secondary schools is far too under valued.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2013, 08:16 PM
(14-05-2013 07:28 PM)Heathen Wrote:  This is some scary and disturbing shit if it's for real.

I could not agree with you more. Undecided

(14-05-2013 07:37 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I went to baptist grammar school that taught dinosaurs NEVER existed.
Let me guess, they told you:
Back in the good ol' Bible days, as you know, it was normal for people to live hundreds of years...and so did EVERY animal, too. It was the custom of the day. As it turns out, lizards keep growing until they die. So, naturally if they live hundreds of years they would be enormous and perhaps sprout horns and plates and things. See. They're just overgrown lizards. Thumbsup

(14-05-2013 07:37 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  No animal has ever become extinct (it was told it was a scientific mistake or soemthing).

Of course this was whole lotta years ago...
Drinking Beverage

We know that 99% of all species that have lived are now extinct.
That's one big ass mistake.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
14-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Meanwhile, in my neck of the woods, they're using every loophole they can to sneak into public education. This took place recently.
http://cjonline.com/news/2013-04-19/aclu...assemblies

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
14-05-2013, 08:27 PM
I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but this a serious issue that is going to (continue to) effect your country for decades. It's frightening really.

This is a rather long document and I have no expectation that anyone will read the entire document but my point in posting it is that is 'does exist'. http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/curriculum/...8currb.pdf

I'll say again, that I'm disturbed by the idea that this school in SC (if this test is real) doesn't have the State investigating WTF is going on there. And why the parents aren't demanding action. I've been looking at this since the test was made public weeks ago and it does seem to be for real. But I see no reaction to it. Strange.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
14-05-2013, 08:29 PM
(14-05-2013 08:19 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Meanwhile, in my neck of the woods, they're using every loophole they can to sneak into public education. This took place recently.

No

there are no words

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
14-05-2013, 08:34 PM
(14-05-2013 08:29 PM)Heathen Wrote:  
(14-05-2013 08:19 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Meanwhile, in my neck of the woods, they're using every loophole they can to sneak into public education. This took place recently.

No

there are no words

Well at least with that story, the ACLU was notified and are keeping tabs. But like the article said, this is probably going on in small communities all over the place where no one would dare speak up about it.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
14-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Exactly! This one only made the news because people made some noise. Tip of the iceberg?

14-05-2013, 08:43 PM
(14-05-2013 08:38 PM)Heathen Wrote:  Exactly! This one only made the news because people made some noise. Tip of the iceberg?

Oh I'm sure. I'm rather inclined to think, however, that the iceberg has always been there. We're just now getting around to chipping away at the tip. Dodgy

14-05-2013, 08:50 PM
Man the icepicks mateys!

14-05-2013, 10:13 PM
Its not being investigated because the school admins, boards and others in power like it full of the religious bs. They planned it that way. This isn't by accident. Their church doesn't need to use church funds to build a private school if the churchy community leaders can get control of the local public school...have the taxpayers pay for it. Then when the ACLU or FFRF come in to these places its a witch-hunt to find that family that called them and if you live in a small community it could be very dangerous...which is part of the reason it continues. In larger communities where everyone doesn't know everyone else its better.

And just for the record, I do know a couple families that home school with perfectly normal, bright, well adjusted children who enjoyed real science that lead "normal" lives. I don't want anyone thinking that ALL home schoolers are whack, or that I'm home school bashing.

In this area, if your public school isn't meeting your needs, your choices are home school or private. The majority of the private schools (that most families can afford without taking out another mortgage) are usually associated with a church of some kind. The secular private schools are VERY expensive....like buying a new car every single year and paying in full if you have 2 kids in school. We do have public charter schools...which may or may not be better than your local public, but its a free option. The good ones have lotteries for open seats, if your child isn't selected in the lottery you can try again the next year.

"Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing." - Helen Keller