4th grade "science" quiz makes me want to wretch

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2013, 10:19 PM
RE: 4th grade "science" quiz makes me want to wretch
(14-05-2013 08:34 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(14-05-2013 08:29 PM)Heathen Wrote:  No

there are no words

Well at least with that story, the ACLU was notified and are keeping tabs. But like the article said, this is probably going on in small communities all over the place where no one would dare speak up about it.

I could see that happening in the Carolinas easily....many times over.

Be excellent to each other and party on, Dudes!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2013, 11:28 AM
4th grade "science" quiz makes me want to wretch
(14-05-2013 08:27 PM)Heathen Wrote:  I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but this a serious issue that is going to (continue to) effect your country for decades. It's frightening really.

This is a rather long document and I have no expectation that anyone will read the entire document but my point in posting it is that is 'does exist'. http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/curriculum/...8currb.pdf

I'll say again, that I'm disturbed by the idea that this school in SC (if this test is real) doesn't have the State investigating WTF is going on there. And why the parents aren't demanding action. I've been looking at this since the test was made public weeks ago and it does seem to be for real. But I see no reaction to it. Strange.

That's a really long and complex document. Do you a page number you recommend we look at? Also, when you mention SC and "that test" above are you referring to something in this doc or the OP?
15-05-2013, 12:04 PM
Just trying to make the point that in some places a Science curriculum does exist, and that there is no room for creationism in it. I was taught science in science class (as mandated by the province) and religion in religion class. The two were kept separate - as they should be. It was a difficult balancing act for the priests and nuns. It was also confusing to me and eventually I concluded that science was the truth and that religion was fantasy. I wonder if such science curriculum even exists in SC (or other states) and if so, why is it not being followed? And if it's not, why is this allowed to be the case? Bows and Arrows does make some good points on the previous page on why this might be happening but I'm still having a difficult time accepting that this "test" could be permitted in a science class , that a State funded school can just teach whatever bullshit that want, and that people can simply accept this. Either a State curriculum exists and it includes creationism, or a proper science curriculum does exist and the school is ignoring it and is in violation.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
27-05-2013, 08:27 AM
(09-05-2013 08:48 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  We are becoming the laughing stock of the planet.

What happens when this child leaves parochial/christian schools and goes to a legit college? Will this kid even be accepted into a university if this is what they believe to be true?

One thing that might happen is an incredible resentment of their parents for promoting and teaching this bullshit. A few years from now they might be on this board looking for sanity.

That's why I'm here. At the tender age of 34 I'm applying to the physics program at the University of Oshkosh at WI after spending the last two years at the local community college. My grades in high school were abysmal, not because I lacked intelligence, but because I had been completely indoctrinated with Christianity and creationism from a young age and was taught to be an ardent defender against the lies of academia.

When I left home and the church, my journey took me from Fundamentalist Christian to Deist after reading "Age of Reason" by Thomas Paine, who had the exact same doubts about my faith that I did after reading the Bible in its entirety. As I began to learn more about science and the laws of physics that govern the Universe, a deity no longer seemed necessary and I became an atheist.

This has caused a huge rift between my parents and I, a rift that I'm sure will widen if I have children. I will not allow them to be indoctrinated the way I was, and that will cause much unrest for my fundamentalist parents. To this day, my mother claims her god as her first love, my father as her second and her children as her third. I will not pretend that I do not resent her for loving a fictional character more than the man she has married and the children she has bore.

When someone makes a statement like Bill Nye did, namely that teaching children creationism is akin to abuse, I wholeheartedly agree. It has taken me almost a decade and a half to unlearn the training of my youth, based in fable and superstition, and learn how to become a true student, hungry for knowledge and able to discern scientific facts from bronze age myths.

Front Yard Astronomy Blog / YouTube

“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church.”
-Ferdinand Magellan
[+] 2 users Like FYAstronomy's post
27-05-2013, 11:28 AM
(27-05-2013 08:27 AM)FYAstronomy Wrote:  That's why I'm here. At the tender age of 34 I'm applying to the physics program at the University of Oshkosh at WI after spending the last two years at the local community college. My grades in high school were abysmal, not because I lacked intelligence, but because I had been completely indoctrinated with Christianity and creationism from a young age and was taught to be an ardent defender against the lies of academia.

When I left home and the church, my journey took me from Fundamentalist Christian to Deist after reading "Age of Reason" by Thomas Paine, who had the exact same doubts about my faith that I did after reading the Bible in its entirety. As I began to learn more about science and the laws of physics that govern the Universe, a deity no longer seemed necessary and I became an atheist.

This has caused a huge rift between my parents and I, a rift that I'm sure will widen if I have children. I will not allow them to be indoctrinated the way I was, and that will cause much unrest for my fundamentalist parents. To this day, my mother claims her god as her first love, my father as her second and her children as her third. I will not pretend that I do not resent her for loving a fictional character more than the man she has married and the children she has bore.

When someone makes a statement like Bill Nye did, namely that teaching children creationism is akin to abuse, I wholeheartedly agree. It has taken me almost a decade and a half to unlearn the training of my youth, based in fable and superstition, and learn how to become a true student, hungry for knowledge and able to discern scientific facts from bronze age myths.

Congratulations on your journey to enlightenment. I believe that you are in the minority in making it. Others in your position tend to maintain their beliefs, indoctrinate their own children, and watch proudly as they send them off to Jesus factories like Liberty University. It's on part with those raised to be the next generation of Klansmen.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
27-05-2013, 12:39 PM
(27-05-2013 08:27 AM)FYAstronomy Wrote:  
(09-05-2013 08:48 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  We are becoming the laughing stock of the planet.

What happens when this child leaves parochial/christian schools and goes to a legit college? Will this kid even be accepted into a university if this is what they believe to be true?

One thing that might happen is an incredible resentment of their parents for promoting and teaching this bullshit. A few years from now they might be on this board looking for sanity.

That's why I'm here. At the tender age of 34 I'm applying to the physics program at the University of Oshkosh at WI after spending the last two years at the local community college. My grades in high school were abysmal, not because I lacked intelligence, but because I had been completely indoctrinated with Christianity and creationism from a young age and was taught to be an ardent defender against the lies of academia.

Funny, I was taught in my baptist school that men had one less rib than women did.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

30-05-2013, 12:12 AM

The article clearly states that it is from a private religious school, so it's a good guess that Mommie and Daddy are paying for exactly what they want the kid to learn.

The kid will probably be able to get into Bob Jones U or Oral Roberts U.

Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice Is also great
And would suffice. -- Robert Frost
30-05-2013, 12:58 AM
I thought it was confirmed?

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
30-05-2013, 06:00 PM
(30-05-2013 12:58 AM)Red Tornado Wrote:  I thought it was confirmed?

Yes, we confirmed that it's ridiculous and near criminal.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
31-05-2013, 12:59 PM
I'm shocking , how we can named that science ?