5 things I Don't Like about Christianity!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2013, 06:13 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2013 04:36 PM by Mr Woof.)
5 things I Don't Like about Christianity!
What I am about to write relates more specifically to the fundamentalists, rather than do those believers who at least attempt some analysis of the subject matter, and perhaps try to use Christianity in their support of worthy social causes.

(1) ]esus as personal saviour I can recall many years past being accosted in the street by Jesus thumpers demanding I allow Jesus take over my life as some kind of personal trainer. Jesus was seen as, via the holy spirit and God the Father, inhabiting my personality, and if I followed Him I would be led to the promised land,or conversely by not listening to that soft wee voice, I would face eternal (not just a month or two) of eternal fiery torture. Here, I must say I have always found this as an invitation to throw all enquiry to the wind, and listen to mystical directions in some schizophrenic lost labour of love.[/font]

(2)Eternal Hell. Following from (1) eternal suffering for sins caused by transgressions from some weird fall from "Perfection" initiated by Lucifer, or was it Adam,and passed in some weird hereditory manner to all the offspring, who, must pay for it here, and later thereEvil_monster, in permanent Hellish torture would be funny, were it not so bizarre and sickening.

(3) Predestination Even stranger than Hell is the Calvinistic doctrine which holds that those suffering here on earth, except for those chosen capriciously in some godly raffle, will all suffer for ever and ever, irrespective of how moral and decently they have tried to live in this life. This is seen as being God's right, simply because he is God and creator. Sort of like saying that someone who breeds defective dogs or cats can treat them as cruelly as they choose......and for eternity.

Turning the Other Cheek. Jesus seems to teach passive resistence. We are directed to love our enemies and give all we have to the poor, including our coats........This of course flies in the face of the Crusades and Inquisition etc , which perhaps relates more to point 1.In order to serve this ineffable God, taken to the extreme, we are expected to sit idly by, praying, while our family is raped and slaughtered by the infidels. Now I ask you? -----------And all for the joys of eternal life with the creator God.Thumbsup
Jesus did not practise what he preached actually. We hear of him whipping the money changers and passing a knife to one of his colleagues.Huh

(5) Five relates largely to the Catholic ceremony of Holy Communion where Christ's body and blood is believed by some to be literally eaten. Some protestant speak of this as cannibalism. So much for Church unity.
The need for blood to pay for man's sins goes back to the old testament, where Yahweh is appeased by the blood of lambs, and Abraham was tested to offer his son as a sacrifice. Seemingly the blood offering has not congealed.

So much for just five features of the Christian faith that have always troubled me, along with the fact that many seemingly decent people can take this all on board without even batting an eye lash......
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2013, 06:34 PM
RE: 5 things I Don't Like about Christianity!
I feel stupid that I didn't give up on the bible a long time ago. There never was an explanation of why blood sacrifice was required by God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-12-2013, 07:24 PM
Only five?

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 5 users Like WillHopp's post
11-12-2013, 04:24 PM
(10-12-2013 07:24 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Only five?

Actually I simply zoomed in on five to stress some of the key beliefs.
Perhaps others would like to elaborate further, especially the Christians on this forum.....
11-12-2013, 04:35 PM
All religious trouble me, not just Christianity.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
11-12-2013, 04:36 PM
(10-12-2013 06:34 PM)chandlerklebs Wrote:  I feel stupid that I didn't give up on the bible a long time ago. There never was an explanation of why blood sacrifice was required by God.
You are missing the semantics here. Blood sacrifice is not required by God unless you call loving others a blood sacrifice. Blood is just a word used to mean the life of a living soul. God never required it as you might think. You are referring to the law which required a payment for sin. That payment was made by God which is why the Christ was called a lamb for the slaughter. Those who serve Love will all sacrifice their lives for others. Those who do not serve Love will sacrifice others to save themselves. Hence every follower of Christ carries his own cross.
11-12-2013, 04:43 PM
(11-12-2013 04:36 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(10-12-2013 06:34 PM)chandlerklebs Wrote:  I feel stupid that I didn't give up on the bible a long time ago. There never was an explanation of why blood sacrifice was required by God.
You are missing the semantics here. Blood sacrifice is not required by God unless you call loving others a blood sacrifice. Blood is just a word used to mean the life of a living soul. God never required it as you might think. You are referring to the law which required a payment for sin. That payment was made by God which is why the Christ was called a lamb for the slaughter. Those who serve Love will all sacrifice their lives for others. Those who do not serve Love will sacrifice others to save themselves. Hence every follower of Christ carries his own cross.

Mmh. Is taking a long weekend off for our sins and then returning in all glory enough to be called a lamb?

Usually sacrificed lambs stay dead, as far as I know.

Ciao

- viole
11-12-2013, 04:45 PM
(11-12-2013 04:36 PM)childeye Wrote:  

Yes! Christians twist things around to suit their particular needs.The Bible is full of such gross imbaguities, that some Christians still handle snakes and drink poison in accordance with their interpretations.The Old Testament God, part of the trinity, was quite heavy into animal sacrifice.........
My comments were addressed to but a few the general ideas held by many fundamentalist Christians.
11-12-2013, 04:59 PM
(11-12-2013 04:35 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  All religious trouble me, not just Christianity.

Quite so!
This forum does tend to emphasise Judaeo/Christianity though.
Sam Harris has shown interest in Buddhism,despite many labelling such a religion.
11-12-2013, 05:07 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2013 05:12 PM by childeye.)
(11-12-2013 04:43 PM)viole Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 04:36 PM)childeye Wrote:  You are missing the semantics here. Blood sacrifice is not required by God unless you call loving others a blood sacrifice. Blood is just a word used to mean the life of a living soul. God never required it as you might think. You are referring to the law which required a payment for sin. That payment was made by God which is why the Christ was called a lamb for the slaughter. Those who serve Love will all sacrifice their lives for others. Those who do not serve Love will sacrifice others to save themselves. Hence every follower of Christ carries his own cross.

Mmh. Is taking a long weekend off for our sins and then returning in all glory enough to be called a lamb?

Usually sacrificed lambs stay dead, as far as I know.

Ciao

- viole
If God spoke into a void and there was Light then it would be vanity if that Light was swallowed up.
The belief that Love is eternal is a complete 180 degrees from believing Love is vanity. There is a big difference between what is spirit and what is flesh. It would be vanity to let the Spirit of one who loved so deeply even unto the sacrificing of his flesh to simply never matter. I am not a believer in vanity as that is to accept an oxymoron. The Spirit lives on and Love is not nothing.