5 things I Don't Like about Christianity!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2013, 05:10 PM
RE: 5 things I Don't Like about Christianity!
(11-12-2013 04:45 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 04:36 PM)childeye Wrote:  You are missing the semantics here. Blood sacrifice is not required by God unless you call loving others a blood sacrifice. Blood is just a word used to mean the life of a living soul. God never required it as you might think. You are referring to the law which required a payment for sin. That payment was made by God which is why the Christ was called a lamb for the slaughter. Those who serve Love will all sacrifice their lives for others. Those who do not serve Love will sacrifice others to save themselves. Hence every follower of Christ carries his own cross.

Yes! Christians twist things around to suit their particular needs.The Bible is full of such gross imbaguities, that some Christians still handle snakes and drink poison in accordance with their interpretations.The Old Testament God, part of the trinity, was quite heavy into animal sacrifice.........
My comments were addressed to but a few the general ideas held by many fundamentalist Christians.

Oh yea. The snake handlers. I have a crazy uncle who is one of those idiots. He "found god" in prison. We went to his church one time before we knew about it. They promptly found themselves with a new door. We hit the street so fast holy wings would have been in our way.

"Your mind is twice a valuable as your body. And your ears are twice as valuable as your mouth. People will pay you based on which you use." - A very smart old lawyer
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Only five? Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
11-12-2013, 06:32 PM
Isn't that what I said? Wink

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-12-2013, 06:41 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2013 07:37 PM by anonymous66.)
Here are mine.

1. telling people God will judge them and send them to hell
2. the anti-science tendencies.... trying to bring religion into the scientific laboratory
3. making atheism a moral issue..., accusing non-believers of immorality, or suggesting that people become atheists just so they can do anything they want
4. the fact that it's obviously mythology, yet modern Christians want to pretend like it's not only historically accurate, but more historically accurate than any other religion.
5. trying to force modern politics to enforce their view of bronze age morals
[+] 1 user Likes anonymous66's post
11-12-2013, 06:53 PM
(11-12-2013 06:41 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  Here are mine.

1. telling people God will judge them and send them to hell
2. the anti-science tendencies.... tying to bring religion into the scientific laboratory
3. making atheism a moral issue..., accusing non-believers of immorality, or suggesting that people become atheists just so they can do anything they want

I always find these ones really interesting. Can you expand?
1 and 3: I wouldn't agree with the last bit of 3, but I've always wondered whether the objection is based on the idea of an unfair, malevolent God judging on a whim or 'unfair' standards or is it the idea of ultimate moral accountability?
2. Don't agree with the point myself, but do you see the problem as being with religious scientists or religious science?
11-12-2013, 07:36 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2013 09:10 PM by anonymous66.)
the last bit of 3? I've had it happen to me.

1. it's presumptuous. It presumes that a. the Christian God exists, and b. that the Christian God will be sending some to hell. It's not even something every Christian agrees on.

2. I could have a slanted view on this one as I grew up in a fundamentalist church that was very anti-science (but I don't think so). I'm familiar with the Dover trial, and the fact that some Christians are still trying to get intelligent design into the classroom. The Discovery Institute is trying very hard to get God into science. They can't even pretend to be objective.
11-12-2013, 08:47 PM
(11-12-2013 07:36 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  the last bit of 3? I've had it happen to me.
I'm sorry to hear that it's happened to you. When people say that it always makes me think of the 'plank in your own eye' verse. You would think that considering how much the Christian faith is based in grace there might be a little bit more around sometimes.

(11-12-2013 07:36 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  1. it's presumptuous. It presumes that a. the Christian God exists, and b. that the Christian God will be sending some to hell. It's not even something every Christian agree on.
I think the concept of hell and judgement is one that often either emphasises a 'fire-and-brimstone' approach, or a too-soft, crowd-pleasing 'well God is love so everyone is saved eventually' one (I saw on youtube once a pastor actually claiming that even if Hitler never accepted Christ he would still be in heaven :huhSmile
I was reading on this, and one quote I loved was 'God doesn't send people to hell, he simply respects their choice.' If a person rejects God's existence or any involvement in their life, they're making a choice to separate themselves from Him. So for me I think that if God is the source of all good things and our capacity to express and enjoy them- relationship, compassion, love, mercy, hope, etc- then if I choose to permanently reject God in this life, then when the time of judgement comes my rejection of the source means I can no longer participate in its effects. In fact, another way I've heard it described as is 'hell is an eternity with yourself.' But then again my mum says hell is a cruise ship Smile

Now I want to be clear that I'm not trying to slip into the 'atheists can't be moral' argument. What I'm saying is that we can enjoy in this life all those things because we were made to be able to see and participate in them. But it is not eternal and it's not the highest form of it.

But anyway, so your're also saying that it's not so much the doctrine as the nasty and judgemental way its told? I'll concede a little on that one. Believe me, it's not just atheists that get the 'you're going to hell' talk every once in a while.

(11-12-2013 07:36 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  2. I could have a slanted view on this one as I grew up in a fundamentalist church that was very anti-science (but I don't think so). I'm familiar with the Dover trial, and the fact that Christians are still trying to get intelligent design into the classroom. The Discovery Institute is trying very hard to get God into science. They can't even pretend to be objective.
See this is a frustrating one for me. Whenever I say I'm a Christian the first thing people usually do is straighten up, take a deep breath, get a pious look on their face and say 'yes, but do you believe in SCIENCE?'
For me there is no conflict between science and faith. Science and all that it tells us points me to God and increases my wonder of Him, but that doesn't mean that every time a hear a thunderclap I think that someone in heaven's shut the door too loud No
As the mathematician John Lennox like to say in his lectures, choosing between God and religion is like being asked to explain the motor car using either the principles of engineering or the mind of Henry Ford. If you're talking in a science context, you don't need to/shouldn't refer to Henry Ford, but that doesn't mean his mind was not the originator.

Do I think intelligent design should be covered in the science classroom? No. Not because I don't believe in it, but specifically because I think a lot of the creationist arguments are based not only on selective science but also a lack of proper understanding of the text. However I am a great believer in Religious Education classes and the right of every child to hear all perspectives on the why origin of the universe.
11-12-2013, 09:02 PM
Five things I don't like about christianity

1. Belief in a god that is the self proclaimed creator of evil (Isaiah 45:7) and in the same breath, worshiping this being as "good".
2. Believing all the crap in the bible and having the desire to spread it like a plague, causing harm to many in an attempt to save people from an imaginary threat.
3. Teaching this crap to children
4. Collecting money from gullible people and the elderly who are fearful.
5. Physically harming others who don't believe as they do.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
11-12-2013, 09:24 PM
@Yasim,
The concept of a loving God that would torture people forever is beyond me.. You've tried to let God off the hook, but He did create hell, right? So, what difference does it make whether He sends people there, or if they merely "choose" to go there. Some choice. But, I'm not surprised that God as portrayed in the Bible would do such a thing. After all he promotes mass murder, slavery, that a woman should marry her rapist, that a good test of faith is to tell someone to murder their son, among other immoral things, so what is torturing someone forever to a God like that? The God of the Bible is portrayed as jealous, capricious, and just all around immoral.

I'm very aware that one can be a Christian and also a scientist. I have a lot of respect for Ken Miller, Karl Giberson and Francis Collins, and to a lesser degree Hugh Ross. He seems like an honest guy, and a heck of a physicist, but he does reject evolution, although he also rejects Intelligent Design. Another honest scientist that is also a Christian is John Polkinghorne, another respected physicist, but he does accept evolution.

We attend a Unitarian Universalist church from time to time. I want my son to be exposed to the basics of world religions, and to be taught that they're all equally valid (or not valid, as the case may be).

Religions should be taught as part of history or philosophy classes in public schools. Perhaps then students will see that there no more reason to believe the miracles in the Bible are any more valid or believable as any other miracle suggested by any other religion or mythology, past or present.
11-12-2013, 11:18 PM
(11-12-2013 09:24 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  We attend a Unitarian Universalist church from time to time. I want my son to be exposed to the basics of world religions, and to be taught that they're all equally valid (or not valid, as the case may be).

Hi, hope you didn't think my frustration was aimed at you. Atheists have the 'you can't be moral' argument to deal with, we've got the science one. Perhaps one of the few things the two sides can agree on is getting tired of defending against the same point over and over Smile

I'm not that familiar with the Unitarian Universalist Church. From what I can gather it's about a support for your own spiritual journey helped by taking what you like from different religions and humanist thoughts? What is it like for where you go?