5 things I Don't Like about Christianity!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2013, 05:06 PM
RE: 5 things I Don't Like about Christianity!
I know all too well about fundies, unfortunately. But, they seem not to have that much influence. And even mainstream Christians see them as radical.

I grew up fundie. I just hope they didn't warp my perceptions too much! I do tend to be a black and white thinker.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2013, 11:06 PM
This thread is evidence of the continual erosion of once sacrosanct Christian doctrine. Creationism, the flood, predestination, but especially hell. Most don't want to talk about gods torture chamber anymore, and when they do it's just some nebulous absence of good, or a perpetual time out. What I don't like about Christianity is its unwillingness to be honest about the content of its awful book.
[+] 1 user Likes freetoreason's post
14-12-2013, 06:37 AM
It sounds like it's time for another bible revision.
#30,001 - This version will remove some of the more awful bits of the bible

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
14-12-2013, 07:11 AM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2013 09:18 AM by anonymous66.)
Some have said we "need" religion, or at least something to believe in. I don't that it's necessarily true, but they do have some power over a lot of people.

On one level it is kinda odd that they ignore the evidence of an immoral God (one that is obviously man-made), but on the other, I think it's a good sign that most Christians are trying to live out a "cleaned up" version of Christianity.
[+] 1 user Likes anonymous66's post
14-12-2013, 04:26 PM
(14-12-2013 07:11 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  Some have said we "need" religion, or at least something to believe in. I don't that it's necessarily true, but they do have some power over a lot of people.

On one level it is kinda odd that they ignore the evidence of an immoral God (one that is obviously man-made), but on the other, I think it's a good sign that most Christians are trying to live out a "cleaned up" version of Christianity.

Perhaps we are hard wired to need more than the strictly secular atheistic life provided for us?
This wish to continue beyond physical finality seems to have engendered the need for supernatural threats and promises. Historically this also provided much clout to the ruling elites, who could extend fearsome misery permanently beyond deaths doors.
Any ideas as to where you would commence the clean up?
14-12-2013, 04:49 PM
(14-12-2013 04:26 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(14-12-2013 07:11 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  Some have said we "need" religion, or at least something to believe in. I don't that it's necessarily true, but they do have some power over a lot of people.

Perhaps we are hard wired to need more than the strictly secular atheistic life provided for us?
This wish to continue beyond physical finality seems to have engendered the need for supernatural threats and promises. Historically this also provided much clout to the ruling elites, who could extend fearsome misery permanently beyond deaths doors.

I'd be perfectly happy if everyone would just admit they're all mythologies and let all religions just fade into history.

In my 40 years attending churches in the U.S., I've come to suspect that most mainstream Christians, even if they don't admit it in so many words, don't really believe in a supernatural entity. They just attend church because it's a tradition. It's a rare Christian today that thinks he is truly communicating with a supernatural entity.

And yes, there will always be exceptions, but they are the ones that everyone considers to be radical, even their fellow Christians.
14-12-2013, 06:29 PM
(14-12-2013 04:49 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  They just attend church because it's a tradition. It's a rare Christian today that thinks he is truly communicating with a supernatural entity.

I think that realization is what preceded the increase of atheism in Europe...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
15-12-2013, 12:14 AM
(14-12-2013 04:49 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  
(14-12-2013 04:26 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Perhaps we are hard wired to need more than the strictly secular atheistic life provided for us?

I'd be perfectly happy if everyone would just admit they're all mythologies and let all religions just fade into history.

In my 40 years attending churches in the U.S., I've come to suspect that most mainstream Christians, even if they don't admit it in so many words, don't really believe in a supernatural entity. They just attend church because it's a tradition. It's a rare Christian today that thinks he is truly communicating with a supernatural entity.

And yes, there will always be exceptions, but they are the ones that everyone considers to be radical, even their fellow Christians.

As I indicated in the O.P. I believe a good many attending Church use it as a means of doing some charitable works, failing to realise that a good deal of the vicious and scary old stuff is still a part of the doctrine.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
15-12-2013, 12:55 AM
(10-12-2013 07:24 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Only five?
Yes, your post only has five likes. Big Grin Tongue

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
15-12-2013, 01:44 AM
(13-12-2013 09:31 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  My perception is that mainstream modern Christianity has reinterpreted the Bible in a way that brings out the good points.
If bible needs to be "Reinterpreted" to even sound remotely pleasing then the chances are it was never anything good to begin with.
Quote:They go to church and are inspired by sermons that encourage them to be good, moral people.
Here's what i don't get about religion why do we need religion to be a good moral person ?