5 things I Don't Like about Christianity!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2013, 02:30 PM
RE: 5 things I Don't Like about Christianity!
(15-12-2013 01:44 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 09:31 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  My perception is that mainstream modern Christianity has reinterpreted the Bible in a way that brings out the good points.
If bible needs to be "Reinterpreted" to even sound remotely pleasing then the chances are it was never anything good to begin with.
Quote:They go to church and are inspired by sermons that encourage them to be good, moral people.
Here's what i don't get about religion why do we need religion to be a good moral person ?

Religions tend to hold out carrots to the donkeys by offering eternal glory for obedience.
Conversely they also use scare tactics such as eternal torment when people choose to think for themselves.
Christianity is generally all for keeping the rules and stifling any free thought.

Unitarian/ Universalism has the motto "Seek the Truth and Serve Humanity".....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2013, 04:39 AM (This post was last modified: 16-12-2013 04:42 AM by IndianAtheist.)
(15-12-2013 02:30 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Religions tend to hold out carrots to the donkeys by offering eternal glory for obedience.
Conversely they also use scare tactics such as eternal torment when people choose to think for themselves.
Christianity is generally all for keeping the rules and stifling any free thought.
Its not only Christianity though every religion is at some level conservative about ethics and scrutiny.

Religion really wants to control every aspect of our life.
16-12-2013, 01:09 PM
(15-12-2013 01:44 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 09:31 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  My perception is that mainstream modern Christianity has reinterpreted the Bible in a way that brings out the good points.
If bible needs to be "Reinterpreted" to even sound remotely pleasing then the chances are it was never anything good to begin with.
Quote:They go to church and are inspired by sermons that encourage them to be good, moral people.
Here's what i don't get about religion why do we need religion to be a good moral person ?

I don't know that we need religion to be a good moral person, in fact, I think that secular morals are superior to religious morals.
But, the fact remains, that it does help some people. That is, I think a case can be made that some people live good lives because they are encouraged to do so because of their religious beliefs, and attending churches, etc.

But, we also need to remember that the religious make up a large percentage of our prison populations (at least in the U.S.), and that there are very few atheists in prison.
17-12-2013, 04:22 PM
(16-12-2013 01:09 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  
(15-12-2013 01:44 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  If bible needs to be "Reinterpreted" to even sound remotely pleasing then the chances are it was never anything good to begin with.Here's what i don't get about religion why do we need religion to be a good moral person ?

I don't know that we need religion to be a good moral person, in fact, I think that secular morals are superior to religious morals.
But, the fact remains, that it does help some people. That is, I think a case can be made that some people live good lives because they are encouraged to do so because of their religious beliefs, and attending churches, etc.

But, we also need to remember that the religious make up a large percentage of our prison populations (at least in the U.S.), and that there are very few atheists in prison.

Religion may help some people to live acceptably by utilizing false premises, promises, and filling them with fear. Crazed homicidal insanity is also a possibility.
If parishioners act decently, through hope of Heaven, or fear of Hell, their actions aren't essentially moral; they are based on hope, fear, and the pursuit of pleasure..
The maths are also very bad. To contemplate eternal joy, or torture on the basis of comparatively less than one millisecond of living,(as opposed to an eternity of time) comes across as a ridiculous moral equation.
17-12-2013, 09:01 PM
I attended churches for almost 40 years here in the US. I think I got a pretty good feel for mainstream Christianity. Most weren't the type to try and evangelize. They were good because they were surrounded by good people, and were encouraged to be good. It was positive peer pressure.

But, I have seen both the good and the bad. I grew up in a fundamentalist church and home. They were a little different. They were arrogant in thinking their interpretation was the right one. They thought they knew the mind of God and thought they knew that God was on their side.

That's another thing I would add to my list. Christians that basically tell you they know God will (or is) judge(ing) you because of whatever they see in you that they don't like. They even make those types of judgements about other Christians. Talk about presumptuous! They're basically telling you that they know God, and that they know for sure what God doesn't like about what you are doing.
18-12-2013, 05:21 AM (This post was last modified: 18-12-2013 05:24 AM by IndianAtheist.)
(16-12-2013 01:09 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  I don't know that we need religion to be a good moral person, in fact, I think that secular morals are superior to religious morals.
There are no definitive morals everyone follows ethical codes that they think is appropriate for a reason..

I personally think that killing of animals for non-survival purposes is wrong whereas the majority of humans don't think it really is.

there are many many numerous things you might think is immoral(like stoning women and letting birds to scavenge on dead relatives)which is an accepted social behavior in many societies morals are just what we as a society want as an accepted code of ethics.

and when we follow the dogma from a book that is thousands of years old that effects our current society's morals.. so religion is just one of the many factors which influences morals.
Quote:But, the fact remains, that it does help some people.
I highly suspect this.. it may help people individually but as a society dogmatic rules cripples modern society.
18-12-2013, 05:55 AM (This post was last modified: 18-12-2013 08:03 AM by anonymous66.)
(18-12-2013 05:21 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 01:09 PM)anonymous66 Wrote:  I don't know that we need religion to be a good moral person, in fact, I think that secular morals are superior to religious morals.
There are no definitive morals everyone follows ethical codes that they think is appropriate for a reason..

I personally think that killing of animals for non-survival purposes is wrong whereas the majority of humans don't think it really is.

there are many many numerous things you might think is immoral(like stoning women and letting birds to scavenge on dead relatives)which is an accepted social behavior in many societies morals are just what we as a society want as an accepted code of ethics.

and when we follow the dogma from a book that is thousands of years old that effects our current society's morals.. so religion is just one of the many factors which influences morals.
Quote:But, the fact remains, that it does help some people.
I highly suspect this.. it may help people individually but as a society dogmatic rules cripples modern society.

I'm an atheist, but virtually all of my family, friends, and acquaintances are Christians. I like them. They're just everyday people. With all the flaws of regular people.

One of my friends is home-schooling his kids, and I found out that he is an Intelligent Design creationist, despite the fact that he is well educated. I told him about the fact that even Christians like Francis Collins and Ken Miller accept evolution as fact. He didn't want to talk about it. I don't think it's my place to change his mind, but he's been influenced by the movie Expelled and the literature he's read. And unfortunately, he didn't take the time to check out their assertions for himself.

What would you consider to be dogmatic rules? When Christians, especially fundamentalists, get involved with politics and the school system, they need to be exposed for what they are. There is no need to let them impose their backward view of the world on modern society.

But, do you really think religions are any more messed up than any other organization? All organizations are made up of flawed people. Some organizations are good, and we'd be better off without others. The same with individual religions and churches, some do more harm than good, but some do a lot of good. They're all promoting the idea that the supernatural exists, and that's something I disagree with. But, how many Christians really, really believe they're in communication with a supernatural entity?

I'm looking forward to a day when religions are seen by everyone as what they truly are. Mythologies. I'm looking forward to a day when secular organizations will take the place of churches.
18-12-2013, 04:07 PM
(18-12-2013 05:55 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  I'm an atheist, but virtually all of my family, friends, and acquaintances are Christians. I like them. They're just everyday people. With all the flaws of regular people.
its not like beveling in fairies makes you a different person now does it ? no you're still the same person regardless of what you believe in its just that you believe in a lot of unsubstantiated garbage if you're a theist.

My mother is a conservative Hindu and regardless of that she's still a good person i don't care if she believes in nonsensical garbage or subscribes to ideologies which are far from rational(thought I REALLY wish she didn't) but i'm not in a place to teach my mother so i just mosey along awkwardly in the family because i know its pointless to argue without someone who's elderly and has riveted confirmation bias.
Quote:do you really think religions are any more messed up than any other organization?
Yes i think so.. globally it affects wayy more people than organized crime has ever done,even Hiroshima&Nagasaki bombs were only able to destroy 2 cities Religion effects EVERY individual on earth that is something to be afraid of.

It Infects every individual on earth from the very childhood with its superstitions, lies,made up "facts",fabricated and confabulated stories and it robs you of the ability of thinking critically about everything.

I don't think there has ever been such an organization which could perform such an impossible feat at this scale.
Quote:They're all promoting the idea that the supernatural exists
No.. that's not the big picture i've met these so called "Holy men" of my religion and i've found out that all they are just a bunch of shameless businessmen.

They make a money out of social gatherings they exploit people's emotions and sentiments to get money!

they might as well be atheists for all we know all they do is rob emotionally weak people out of their money and that's NOT COOL.
Quote:I'm looking forward to a day when religions are seen by everyone as what they truly are. Mythologies.
I'm looking forward to a day when people will stop following their religious books to the word.. that's the first step to rational thinking.

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence