6,000 year old earth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2013, 02:13 PM
6,000 year old earth
I do know that people who believe in a 6,000 year old earth exist. But every time I meet one I am in amazement. It's like seeing a weird rare bug or something. I can't help but stare in disbelief.

Have any other believers said something in conversation that just left your mouth wide open?

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-10-2013, 02:33 PM
RE: 6,000 year old earth
I can't quote any off the top of my head, but I can say it's the reason I've stopped accepting Watchtower magazines from my mother. Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
28-10-2013, 03:02 PM
It's amazing, I have never meant a creationist. I am so happy about thatBig Grin
Although cheap made a good point...jehovah's witnesses still knock on my door. Seriously, is there a spray I can use?

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
28-10-2013, 03:08 PM
I like to have fun with semi-fundies with this one. Semi-fundies are the ones who believe everything in the bible literally as true. Yet...they don't really. That just say that they do, because they haven't read it to know what all they believe "literally".

I like when I'll make fun of the fact that they believe the earth is 6,000 years old. The deny that that is what they believe, because "the bible doesn't say that". I'll then grab a bible, and show them how 6,000 years was worked out, and that that now means that is what they have to believe, or else they have to reject something from the bible.

If they are, in all other respects, a rational person, they will have great difficulty with this. If they are a credulous person, they'll just adopt it as their new belief, and you will have made the world a slightly worse place to live in. So I'm always careful about doing it only with people I know are too smart for it.

28-10-2013, 03:10 PM
(28-10-2013 03:02 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  It's amazing, I have never meant a creationist. I am so happy about thatBig Grin
Although cheap made a good point...jehovah's witnesses still knock on my door. Seriously, is there a spray I can use?

Just paint the door frame with lamb's blood. That will do the trick.

28-10-2013, 03:11 PM
I've spoken to several. It's like someone saying that they believe in physical alien visitation to the earth, I try hard to isolate that one issue but it does make it difficult to not be a little extra skeptical of anything else they have to say.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
28-10-2013, 03:36 PM
(28-10-2013 03:10 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 03:02 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  It's amazing, I have never meant a creationist. I am so happy about thatBig Grin

Just paint the door frame with lamb's blood. That will do the trick.
I heard pentagrams work too

28-10-2013, 03:42 PM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2013 03:45 PM by Raptor Jesus.)
(28-10-2013 03:11 PM)Heathen Wrote:  I've spoken to several. It's like someone saying that they believe in physical alien visitation to the earth...

I can do you one better on the alien thing. I know you werent' being literal with that reference, rather using it as an analogy, but I have a friend who believes in them literally...and get this, she believes in them because of the bible!

She doesn't believe that aliens are life forms from another planet, but are actually "Satan's" fallen angels, or in other words, demons. They visit people to trick them in to not believing in "God" by making them think there are other beings in the universe besides just us.

She also uses this to explain why all other cultures believed in different "gods". She believes all those "gods", Zeus, Thor, Ra, whomever, all really did exist and interacted with people from those lands, but that they are not actually "gods" but Satan's fallen angels again, out to trick the world into believing in false "gods".

In a weird way, she found a way to believe in only one "God" and all "gods" human history has ever believed in, all at the same time.

It does change agruments I can use. I can't say, "I don't believe in "Yahweh" in the same way that you don't believe in Zeus", when asked how I can not believe in her "god", because she does believe Zeus existed, he was just a demon.

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
28-10-2013, 03:52 PM
(28-10-2013 03:42 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 03:11 PM)Heathen Wrote:  I've spoken to several. It's like someone saying that they believe in physical alien visitation to the earth...

I can do you one better on the alien thing. I know you werent' being literal with that reference, but using it as an analogy, but I have a friend who believes in them literally...and get this, she believes in them because of the bible!

She doesn't believe that aliens are life forms from another planet, but are actually "Satan's" fallen angels, or in other words, demons. They visit people to trick them in to not believing in "God" by making them think there are other beings in the universe besides just us.

She also uses this to explain why all other cultures believed in different "gods". She believes all those "gods", Zeus, Thor, Ra, whomever, all really did exist and interact with people from those lands, but that they are not actually "gods" but Satan's fallen angels again, out to trick the world into believing false "gods".

In a weird way, she found a way to believe in only one "God" and all "gods" human history has ever believed in, all at the same time.

It does change agruments I can use. I can't say, "I don't believe in "Yahweh" in the same way that you don't believe in Zeus", when asked how I can not believe in her "god", because she does believe Zeus existed, he was just a demon.
This sounds familiar, I heard several speak as if atheist believe in aliens since they don't have a belief in a god anymore. Yeah..this "false gods as demons" is very common to the church when trying to convert pagans. They would see pagans knocking on trees or wood to ask favor or good luck for spirits. The church believed these spirits to be evil so they changed the method. They instructed them to knock on wood to be a reference of good luck from Jesus since he was laid on a wooden cross. Also all these pagan holidays worshiping other deities became solely festivals for saints or God or jesus' birthday, christmas.

28-10-2013, 03:58 PM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2013 04:11 PM by Heathen.)
RJ:

Um... wow.
Sounds like a very interesting person. Seriously.

One person I know believes that children are actually aliens and that humans do not actually reproduce! Her latest thing is Buddhism, which is the most sense she has made in years. Not sure how that works together with the aliens thing though.

I really do enjoy talking with these nutjobs. I know a few and I encourage them to spill their guts to me. Most people they know probably don't want to hear it but I DO! I question and inquire just enough to uncover the really crazy shit without getting too confrontational. I know another person who believes that a group of unknown persons implanted a tracking device in her vagina. They track her every move and enter her home, often while she is asleep in order to move or take some inconsequential object. How they manage to get past the cameras, motion detection, locks and alarms seem to be a mystery. One time they followed her to Cuba to take a pair of sandals. And that's just scratching the surface of her nuttiness. I'm not making this shit up. Discovering crazy things about people has been a bit of a hobby of mine. The ones I know are fully functional people with jobs and some with families. Could be worthy of another thread.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume