6,000 year old earth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2013, 04:27 PM
RE: 6,000 year old earth
(28-10-2013 03:58 PM)Heathen Wrote:  RJ:

Um... wow.
Sounds like a very interesting person. Seriously...

Oh, there is a ton more from that one...a ton more...

(28-10-2013 03:58 PM)Heathen Wrote:  ...
I really do enjoy talking with these nutjobs. I know a few and I encourage them to spill their guts to me. Most people they know probably don't want to hear it but I DO! I question and inquire just enough to uncover the really crazy shit without getting too confrontational. ...

I do to. It fascinates me. I like to secretly study them. It is interesting to do, because no one else they talk to is interested, and they know those people will think they are crazy, so no one else really knows how crazy they are. Whenever I get that type of information out of them, it gives you a weird perspective on the rest of humanity. You see these same people interacting with other people who do not know their crazy shit, and think they are perfectly normal, and only you and I know what's really going on in their mind.

It makes you realize their are way more of those nutjobs out there, that people don't even know about. There is far more of them than anyone has any idea. It's insane.

Sometimes, when I have the energy for it, I'll just say to my friend, "Okay, tell me more about [your beliefs]" and they get so excited to get it all out of their head, and that they have someone to listen to it, that they just spill it all. It is incredible, kind of scary too.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Oh, I know some young earthers. I posted something from a news show about young earth creationists touring the natural history museum in DC or something (maybe new york).

The discussion I had was remarkable, they told me that they told their kids to not believe what they hear in science class. For people who are traditionally Republican, and Patriotic, don't they know that they are setting up their country to fail? If we don't embrace science then we will not have the economy to survive in the 21st century.

And that is a fact. Neil Degrasse Tyson said so. Big Grin

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes FaceOfBoe's post
29-10-2013, 02:16 PM
(28-10-2013 02:33 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  I can't quote any off the top of my head, but I can say it's the reason I've stopped accepting Watchtower magazines from my mother. Big Grin

You too huh?

They do give off some good heat when you burn them though... So keep 'em comin' I say.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
29-10-2013, 02:17 PM
Cognitive dissonance. You refuse to listen to ANYTHING that contradicts it in pure fear of doubt. When you believe the bullshit, you are pretty afraid of doubt. When you're afraid of being forever shunned by the creator of the universe for doubting your beliefs, things that make you think become bad things. Logic? Reason? Out the window, because otherwise burn in hell.

It is incredibly easy to wonder how people can believe such bullshit. I was a YEC when I was a Christian. Looking back now it's all incredibly silly and I ask myself, "How did I believe all that shit?" but it's easy when you're on the outside looking in. It's different when you're on the inside refusing to look out.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
29-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Actually I do remember being left speechless by one bloke on the telly, claiming the Dinosaurs existed up until the middle ages... I just don't know what to say in response to such absolute, pure, liquid bullshit.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
29-10-2013, 02:22 PM
(29-10-2013 02:19 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Actually I do remember being left speechless by one bloke on the telly, claiming the Dinosaurs existed up until the middle ages... I just don't know what to say in response to such absolute, pure, liquid bullshit.

Confirmation bias. Refusal to listen to anything contradictory to a point of view. Again, cognitive dissonance. You listen only to those who agree with your point of view because anything else is "evil" or "terrible" or "not of god" and simply trying to... "stray you away"... Drinking Beverage

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
31-10-2013, 04:02 PM
I remember something on tv or something, might have been 700 club or some filth. This guy was saying that dinosaurs are used by scientist to draw in kids. I mean, what child doesn't love dinosaurs? Now creationists are using dinosaurs to bring in children going so far as having tv with a puppet or a guy in a dinosaur suit. Another thing, haven't they said that dinosaur fossils we're just placed there to test the faith? Ugh..its sickening what they do.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
01-11-2013, 10:18 AM
I have run into these people, mostly in the military, though, which is deeply disconcerting. There was a group of us once, and we were talking about something ancient--might have been dinosaurs--and this one guy chimed in with "well the Earth is only 6,000 years old," and I went off on him.

It's just so incredibly baffling.

This is the signature.

http://www.FromNothingGameStudios.com
[+] 1 user Likes Skeptic Gamer's post
03-11-2013, 03:51 AM
Education, education education. it is a great and awful tragedy that we applaud our sporting heros and those who are famous for being famous but not out scientists and our great thinkers. When you hear the 27 % of American kids belive Buzz lightyear landed on the moon or when you hear of the amount of people who believe they have been anally probed by aliens - you would weep wih frustration.
Young earth creationists are deluded, misinformed or uninformed (that i can understand). but what really gets me animated is those individuals who hold degrees in geology and astronomy yet still believe in a young earth....I mean....come on.

One funny moment recently: I was talking with some people around a table in a school canteen when I mentioned my interest in astronomy. One girl sitting there declared "astronomy.... thats all rubbish"
I asked her the time, she looked at her watch and told me
I said "thanks, that s astronomy"
she didn't get it! and went back to reading her horoscope in the newspaper!!!!
AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....sorry
03-11-2013, 05:06 AM
I've had dozens of debates with a YEC (young earth creationist)

Took a while to drag the truth out of him.
His preacher has a YEC howto guide. He is even preached on rebuttals to evolution, and surprisingly his preacher is venomously anti catholic.

The truth is only what the preacher claims it to be.
All science that is contrary to his preachers views is a Conspiracy.

Was an eye opener. But I've now realised that YEC theists don't
Actually think. They accept their local preacher's opinion as fact not to be questioned.

When I asked him why he does not read and study the bible if he believes it to be the word of a god.
His response was , why teach yourself to play guitar when you can visit a teacher.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".