6.5% of all people ever born are alive today

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2015, 07:25 PM (This post was last modified: 28-06-2015 07:30 PM by cactus.)
6.5% of all people ever born are alive today
or as it said on the Mythbusters Twitter feed, "Just 6.5%"
Just? I'd say this is a pretty damn huge percentage.

That's the power (pun intended) or exponential growth!

Of course they didn't make a clear distinction as to what constitutes as a "person," so take that with a grain of salt. Maybe they're including the entire estimated population of the homo genus, I'm not sure. Probably has a negligible effect on the number, though.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
29-06-2015, 10:58 PM
RE: 6.5% of all people ever born are alive today
(28-06-2015 07:25 PM)cactus Wrote:  or as it said on the Mythbusters Twitter feed, "Just 6.5%"
Just? I'd say this is a pretty damn huge percentage.

That's the power (pun intended) or exponential growth!

Of course they didn't make a clear distinction as to what constitutes as a "person," so take that with a grain of salt. Maybe they're including the entire estimated population of the homo genus, I'm not sure. Probably has a negligible effect on the number, though.

I don't know how negligible it would be - there were a lot of homos over the course of our species. I'm not saying it would be paradigm shifting math, but I'm not certain it would be negligible either, counting our evolutionary cousins and all.

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
30-06-2015, 01:42 AM
Humans are a cancer on the earth. I think she'll survive us, but we sure will do some damage before we self destruct.

When I say we are a doomed species, I mean it. I don't think we'll survive much longer. At least not without some drastic and immediate change. I also don't intend to sound flippant. It's something that haunts me lately. So much so, that I find it comforting that my daughter doesn't want to have kids. I also find it motivating to seek solutions and encourage change.

Stop overbreeding for fucks sake!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
30-06-2015, 02:33 AM
(30-06-2015 01:42 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Humans are a cancer on the earth. I think she'll survive us, but we sure will do some damage before we self destruct.

When I say we are a doomed species, I mean it. I don't think we'll survive much longer. At least not without some drastic and immediate change. I also don't intend to sound flippant. It's something that haunts me lately. So much so, that I find it comforting that my daughter doesn't want to have kids. I also find it motivating to seek solutions and encourage change.

It's not just the over breeding that's at issue though, is it?

It's the way we treat this planet of ours. Man has raped and pillaged it without giving a flying fart for the consequences.

I went to the local mini mart a couple of weeks ago. There in the car park was a police car. The engine was still running but the police were no where to be seen. I went into the shop and there they were, buying sandwiches and crisps and a drink. I asked them politely if they could please switch off their vehicle's engine in order to save what little there was left of the planet. They said that there was no need as they would be leaving the shop in a few minutes anyway.

A couple of years ago, I was driving down the motorway listening to Radio 4, I think. It was a phone-in program with a panel of experts. The topic was global warming. A woman phoned in and said 'With all of this pollution that one reads about in the press, will the Earth survive?' One of the panellists said 'You are asking the wrong question. The Earth will survive. The question that you ought to have asked is: Will Man?'.

Down in what used to be a meadow
are the lies that the politicians told and the money that the bankers lost.
On the hill, there’s a wind farm obscuring the view of Armageddon.
‘Where’s all the money gone?’ someone cried
as if it mattered,
as if it were really ever there.
It’s was just an illusion created by the usurers.
The people are broken anyway.
I tried to catch their thoughts in a recycled paper cup
but it was sold on ebay when their tears ran dry.
Somewhere, deep in space, an asteroid skips on its merry way to a rendezvous with Earth.
It needs to hurry,
time is running out for nature,
It ran out long ago for man.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
30-06-2015, 04:08 AM
(30-06-2015 01:42 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  ...

Well, OK. You're da boss.

But can I keep practicing?

Angel

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
30-06-2015, 04:51 AM
Well I've read before that for every human to have ever been alive to be have been remembered. Each person today would have to think of 14 different people.

I read that in a book, it wasn't a science or non-fiction book so I have no clue if it's anything close to true. Someone who cared would have to try to use these figures to see if these were true. The one thing that gets me curious on these lists is when do they consider the starting point of "humans"

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
30-06-2015, 05:25 AM
I've been saying it for years -- all problems society faces - can be traced back in one way or another to overpopulation.

And - it's the one thing that all the "problem solvers" tend to ignore.

"Go forth and multiply" --- a statement made without thought to it's consequences.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
30-06-2015, 02:28 PM
(30-06-2015 01:42 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Humans are a cancer on the earth. I think she'll survive us, but we sure will do some damage before we self destruct.

Is now a good time to show off baby pictures?

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
30-06-2015, 04:01 PM

I am with you on this 100%!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
30-06-2015, 05:12 PM
(30-06-2015 02:28 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  

Is now a good time to show off baby pictures?

Sure, why not?

[Image: gq0iw8vimp.jpg]

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson