6 reasons Why I reject the theory of Karma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2016, 01:25 PM (This post was last modified: 20-07-2016 07:53 PM by DLJ.)
Hello Everyone,

I feel like Eastern religions are less criticized in the west. But being an Ex-Hindu, it is my responsibility to spread awareness about the absurdities in Hinduism. And hence, I've started a blog to get Hindus to question their beliefs and atheists to find some arguments when confronted with generally perceived harmless eastern religions.

Would anybody here like to read it?

Thank you
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-07-2016, 09:41 PM
RE: 6 reasons Why I reject the theory of Karma
You could start by copying and pasting your 6 reasons.

I'm a fan of the idea of karma mostly because in my story writing, some fictional bad guy gets what is coming to him.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
21-07-2016, 10:35 PM
i have one reason only. its demonstrably wrong.
21-07-2016, 10:38 PM

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
21-07-2016, 10:46 PM
What is in charge of Karma? Is it a god?
21-07-2016, 11:25 PM
(21-07-2016 10:46 PM)KUSA Wrote:  What is in charge of Karma? Is it a god?

From what I hear it's a bitch.

#sigh
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
21-07-2016, 11:28 PM
(21-07-2016 11:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(21-07-2016 10:46 PM)KUSA Wrote:  What is in charge of Karma? Is it a god?

From what I hear it's a bitch.

Nice!
21-07-2016, 11:45 PM
Karma = "shit happens".

I know its real because shit happened tonight at the republicunt convention.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
22-07-2016, 12:19 AM
Sorry guys I didn't know I can't post link to other sites on my first post. But here's the blog post.

"What goes around must come around" is an emotionally very appealing thesis. Who would want a criminal to get away with whatever horrible things they did? or a saint to go unnoticed. But we all know that the fallible justice system we have on earth doesn't always punish the wrong doers, neither does it always recognize the meritorious deeds by the good.

In a perfect world Hitler, Stalin should have been severely punished. But that not being the case, they didn't receive even remotely similar treatment to those they inflicted violence upon. But somehow we're not ready to accept the fact that they just got away with it. And so we come up with this idea of Karma that maybe not in this life but surely the next one, they won't go unpunished. That a just god would not allow such a thing to happen. But guess what? God apparently doesn't give a damn. And nature is neither just nor does it care about our preferences. So to expect any sort of reward or torment from a supernatural principle is to me no more stupid than expecting a wall to care about your morality.

Below are some of the reasons why I don't accept the theory of karma and reincarnation and the existence of soul.

Soul, Karma and reincarnation are used interchangeably as they're dependent on each other. If there is no soul, there's nothing non physical that accumulates karma and reincarnates. So I reject these ideas altogether.

1) Evidence is the key. There is simply no sufficient evidence to back the belief that we have a soul which accumulates karma and changes body after death. Though you may occasionally find some hindu propaganda websites or some gurus claiming to have a proof. But as we dig deeper, either they're fraudulent or not from a credible source. Science has never conclusively proven the existence of soul in a controlled environment. So to believe in such a baseless hypothesis is nothing more than a superstition.

2) If Karma is real, then suffering is merely a punishment. A poor man is such because of his past life. Then where exactly does the motivation to help the needy and underprivileged come from? Why should we feed the homeless? How selfish is it to do so just to add to your karmic merits. Why was it wrong for Hitler to kill 6 million 'innocents'? Everyone deserved the suffering and he was just a facilitator. To be honest no amount of apologetics I've encountered has actually yet answered my concerns.

3) The results of our actions are not bound to this life, but can show up in 50th from now. And since there's no evidence of next life in the first place there's no reason to believe that you might even get results.

4) Does Karma evolve in morality with our species or the things that were acceptable back then weren't ethical in the eyes of Karma? Let's take Slavery and child marriages for example. Slave owners never thought it was morally wrong as it was a societal norm.

5) Somehow I was taught that getting birth in India was because of some high stacks of merits I gained in past lives. But what about the millions of homeless kids who do get birth in India but die before they're even 5? They didn't get an equal chance as me to find god and liberate themselves from the cycles of birth and death. They're not even allowed to enter most of the temples.

6) One of the big reasons Karma is bullshit is because it was developed to facilitate the caste system that allowed the upper class to dominate over the lower and let them feel supernaturally subjugated. That accepting their lower caste was simply to serve the sentence by God or Karma. Though denied by hindu apologists, caste system was a part of hinduism and is very clear by reading Manusmriti (one of the hindu lawbooks). Now the authority and authenticity of Manusmriti is a topic of debate but to say that hinduism never supported birth based classification is a lie.

So my final word of wisdom for readers is that do good to others without any expectations and don't make someone else's life miserable, the only life you, them and us have got.
[+] 4 users Like thegodlesshuman's post
22-07-2016, 06:23 AM
On the Big Bang Theory -- Raj puts forth the idea of karma -- " It's not superstition, it's practically Newtonian. For every action there's an equal and opposite reaction"....

Maybe so...

But Newton didn't claim there was a god with an elephant's head....

So there's that....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.