6 reasons Why I reject the theory of Karma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-07-2016, 02:37 AM
RE: 6 reasons Why I reject the theory of Karma
Hi,

A psychologist once told me that nasty people act that way because they are unhappy in themselves. That would be causal and kind of karmic.

However, I suspect that it is not true. OK, some people may be acting out some previous hurt or frustration, but some people may be quite happy being nasty. I'm pretty sure I've seen that in action.

Is karma a law? Exceptions?

D.

PS - Maybe karma is a religious comforter for people who have lived a life of painful passivity at the hands of circumstance and others?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2016, 02:50 AM
(23-07-2016 02:37 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  Hi,

A psychologist once told me that nasty people act that way because they are unhappy in themselves. That would be causal and kind of karmic.

Karmic? Karma is nothing more than unproven religious concept.

As for "nasty" people - what one consider bad, other might see differently.

(23-07-2016 02:37 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  However, I suspect that it is not true. OK, some people may be acting out some previous hurt or frustration, but some people may be quite happy being nasty. I'm pretty sure I've seen that in action.

Or maybe there is much more to human behaviour than "happiness in being nasty"?

(23-07-2016 02:37 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  Is karma a law? Exceptions?

It's nothing more than unproven religious concept which gained popularity. Undeserved I would add.

(23-07-2016 02:37 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  PS - Maybe karma is a religious comforter for people who have lived a life of painful passivity at the hands of circumstance and others?

That's more on the point.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
23-07-2016, 02:53 AM
I reject karma because my ex - still my lawfully wedded husband - was a jerk, got me to ask for a divorce, and here I am waking up alone (ok, I haven't gone to bed yet, still quite drunk) on our ten year anniversary while he is going to wake up next to his fiancé. I have hurt tremendously and he has no comprehension of the hell I have been through. I've had to give up my career because of that son of a bitch. Two of the young years of my life have been lost in misery because of him. Hell, let's be honest, almost thirteen.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
23-07-2016, 06:19 AM
(22-07-2016 12:19 AM)thegodlesshuman Wrote:  Sorry guys I didn't know I can't post link to other sites on my first post. But here's the blog post.

"What goes around must come around" is an emotionally very appealing thesis. Who would want a criminal to get away with whatever horrible things they did? or a saint to go unnoticed. But we all know that the fallible justice system we have on earth doesn't always punish the wrong doers, neither does it always recognize the meritorious deeds by the good.

In a perfect world Hitler, Stalin should have been severely punished. But that not being the case, they didn't receive even remotely similar treatment to those they inflicted violence upon. But somehow we're not ready to accept the fact that they just got away with it. And so we come up with this idea of Karma that maybe not in this life but surely the next one, they won't go unpunished. That a just god would not allow such a thing to happen. But guess what? God apparently doesn't give a damn. And nature is neither just nor does it care about our preferences. So to expect any sort of reward or torment from a supernatural principle is to me no more stupid than expecting a wall to care about your morality.

Below are some of the reasons why I don't accept the theory of karma and reincarnation and the existence of soul.

Soul, Karma and reincarnation are used interchangeably as they're dependent on each other. If there is no soul, there's nothing non physical that accumulates karma and reincarnates. So I reject these ideas altogether.

1) Evidence is the key. There is simply no sufficient evidence to back the belief that we have a soul which accumulates karma and changes body after death. Though you may occasionally find some hindu propaganda websites or some gurus claiming to have a proof. But as we dig deeper, either they're fraudulent or not from a credible source. Science has never conclusively proven the existence of soul in a controlled environment. So to believe in such a baseless hypothesis is nothing more than a superstition.

2) If Karma is real, then suffering is merely a punishment. A poor man is such because of his past life. Then where exactly does the motivation to help the needy and underprivileged come from? Why should we feed the homeless? How selfish is it to do so just to add to your karmic merits. Why was it wrong for Hitler to kill 6 million 'innocents'? Everyone deserved the suffering and he was just a facilitator. To be honest no amount of apologetics I've encountered has actually yet answered my concerns.

3) The results of our actions are not bound to this life, but can show up in 50th from now. And since there's no evidence of next life in the first place there's no reason to believe that you might even get results.

4) Does Karma evolve in morality with our species or the things that were acceptable back then weren't ethical in the eyes of Karma? Let's take Slavery and child marriages for example. Slave owners never thought it was morally wrong as it was a societal norm.

5) Somehow I was taught that getting birth in India was because of some high stacks of merits I gained in past lives. But what about the millions of homeless kids who do get birth in India but die before they're even 5? They didn't get an equal chance as me to find god and liberate themselves from the cycles of birth and death. They're not even allowed to enter most of the temples.

6) One of the big reasons Karma is bullshit is because it was developed to facilitate the caste system that allowed the upper class to dominate over the lower and let them feel supernaturally subjugated. That accepting their lower caste was simply to serve the sentence by God or Karma. Though denied by hindu apologists, caste system was a part of hinduism and is very clear by reading Manusmriti (one of the hindu lawbooks). Now the authority and authenticity of Manusmriti is a topic of debate but to say that hinduism never supported birth based classification is a lie.

So my final word of wisdom for readers is that do good to others without any expectations and don't make someone else's life miserable, the only life you, them and us have got.

There are a lot of similarities between this and western Abrahamic religions. Christians replace reincarnation; where you get several chances, with concepts of heaven and hell; where you get no more chances and eternal damnation in the afterlife.

It all about using an imaginary and unproven idea of the afterlife to control people in this life.

I would say the fundamental problem with karma and reincarnation is that you should have full memories of this past life that you allegedly had, otherwise how could you learn from it?

It suffers from the same problem of evil that other Abrahamic religions have, a person's behavior in another life can somehow dictate how this life turns out? This is fundamentally unjust, people can behave absolutely horrible and get away with it, all that religion offers is an unproven threat in the afterlife and post-hoc explanation for suffering in this life.

Some suffering is the result of your actions, but most suffering is not linked to human behavior. Period.

Wreckage from a Japan Tsunami:

[Image: tsunami_cars_before.jpg]

Dinosaurs must have really pissed off the karma distribution god:

[Image: armaggedon_by_japa2-d5mm4a1.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
23-07-2016, 02:36 PM
(20-07-2016 01:25 PM)thegodlesshuman Wrote:  Hello Everyone,

I feel like Eastern religions are less criticized in the west. But being an Ex-Hindu, it is my responsibility to spread awareness about the absurdities in Hinduism. And hence, I've started a blog to get Hindus to question their beliefs and atheists to find some arguments when confronted with generally perceived harmless eastern religions.

Would anybody here like to read it?

Thank you

You do not need 6 reasons to reject it. You only need one.

It's Bullshit.

Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes GoingUp's post
23-07-2016, 03:11 PM
(20-07-2016 01:25 PM)thegodlesshuman Wrote:  Hello Everyone,

I feel like Eastern religions are less criticized in the west.
Probably true, mainly because they are both less pervasive and less invasive than Western religions. I have never heard of a Hindu, Taoist or Buddhist (using the most common as examples) attempting to impose his religious principles on an unwilling political constituency.

OTOH, back when I worked for Citizenship and Immigration (aka INS), I denied every single "Vedic healer's" visa petition that came my way. Mind, I still have trouble with the division between some Eastern religion and Eastern "medicine."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk