6 year old debunks God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2010, 12:09 PM

RE: 6 year old debunks God
(14-04-2010 06:11 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(14-04-2010 06:00 AM)Juppers Wrote:  
(13-04-2010 11:48 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  What I read from that is a six year old has the same arguments as most of you. Doesn't say much for your position.

What I read is that even a six year-old, when not indoctrinated religiously, can see how laughable and implausible the explanations given by the Bible are. Doesn't say much for your position.

Exactly. Well said Juppers.

No the six year old made the same mistakes as most on this site.
Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Which are?

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2010, 04:51 PM

(14-04-2010 06:00 AM)Juppers Wrote:  
(13-04-2010 11:48 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  What I read from that is a six year old has the same arguments as most of you. Doesn't say much for your position.

What I read is that even a six year-old, when not indoctrinated religiously, can see how laughable and implausible the explanations given by the Bible are. Doesn't say much for your position.

No, what happened is a six year old has the same arguments against what is written in the Bible as most on this site. The six year old has not done one bit of research into what he was talking about, which is the same as most on this site. Of course Brance, with no knowledge, will agree with most on this site that have no knowledge.
16-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Okay, well this is mindlessly going back and forth. I have to disagree with Martin, the child pretty much just laughs at the oddness of it all, translating into pointing out the just how wild and far fetch the stories of the bible are. I agree the stories are crazy, and from a born and raised atheist, they seem down right laughable(Cannibalism, zombies, flaming bushes that talk).

However, we do more than just that. I will even provide some examples.
(02-03-2010 06:58 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  It doesn't matter whether it can be true for you and not for me.
And yes, you did commit the argument ad populum fallacy. You said that the fact that the calendar had been changed to match to Jesus' birth was evidence in favor of Christianity's truth. It isn't, because that is simply saying that, because people believed it, it must be true. That is the argument ad populum fallacy.

(12-04-2010 08:24 PM)supermanlives1973 Wrote:  This statement could be used to argue against the existence of god, since god doesn't show him/herself to 'non-believers' and, for those that claim he has 'shown' himself to, we only have personal experiences to draw from (BTW, I don't buy the whole 'god's shown himself to millions of people' argument...each one of those is a personal experience which cannot be confirmed by outside analysis).

(13-04-2010 07:27 AM)omega21 Wrote:  Martinb... Religious scholars have pointed out that there is evidence of polytheism in the Bible, or atleast in the earliest scriptures (Translations tried to get rid of it). That your god was the most high and that he was better than the other gods so the israelites worshiped yahweh above all others. That is why religious scholars think the first commandment came about too. So, why don't you go by what the authors of the Bible were really trying to say and worship multiple gods? Oh wait that's right Yahweh is most powerful.
Three quotations from three different people saying more than the six-year-old. Please don't comment directly to these, as you already have when they were originally posted. Point still stands, whether you think our arguments are perfect are completely wrong, that they are more than just pointing out the odd rituals and tales of the bible.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
16-04-2010, 06:14 PM

(16-04-2010 05:17 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  Okay, well this is mindlessly going back and forth. I have to disagree with Martin, the child pretty much just laughs at the oddness of it all, translating into pointing out the just how wild and far fetch the stories of the bible are. I agree the stories are crazy, and from a born and raised atheist, they seem down right laughable(Cannibalism, zombies, flaming bushes that talk).

However, we do more than just that. I will even provide some examples.
(02-03-2010 06:58 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  It doesn't matter whether it can be true for you and not for me.
And yes, you did commit the argument ad populum fallacy. You said that the fact that the calendar had been changed to match to Jesus' birth was evidence in favor of Christianity's truth. It isn't, because that is simply saying that, because people believed it, it must be true. That is the argument ad populum fallacy.

(12-04-2010 08:24 PM)supermanlives1973 Wrote:  This statement could be used to argue against the existence of god, since god doesn't show him/herself to 'non-believers' and, for those that claim he has 'shown' himself to, we only have personal experiences to draw from (BTW, I don't buy the whole 'god's shown himself to millions of people' argument...each one of those is a personal experience which cannot be confirmed by outside analysis).

(13-04-2010 07:27 AM)omega21 Wrote:  Martinb... Religious scholars have pointed out that there is evidence of polytheism in the Bible, or atleast in the earliest scriptures (Translations tried to get rid of it). That your god was the most high and that he was better than the other gods so the israelites worshiped yahweh above all others. That is why religious scholars think the first commandment came about too. So, why don't you go by what the authors of the Bible were really trying to say and worship multiple gods? Oh wait that's right Yahweh is most powerful.
Three quotations from three different people saying more than the six-year-old. Please don't comment directly to these, as you already have when they were originally posted. Point still stands, whether you think our arguments are perfect are completely wrong, that they are more than just pointing out the odd rituals and tales of the bible.

Again you get the Argument Ad populum wrong. I believe I said Jesus existence not Christianities truth. If I said Christianities truth then I will retract and say Jesus existence. I will say this one more time for the hard of learning(haha I like that one). The number one selling car in America is the Honda Accord, if I said "the accord is the BEST car because it sells more cars than any other car" That is Ad populum. The Accord is not better than my S550, or Rolls Royce etc. The question was Jesus existence and the fact that the calendar changed according to his birth, why would it change if that person never existed?

I am not sure how to comment on Supers quote without being derogatory, and since people call me names etc. and no one complains, yet if I say something is stupid, I get blasted, so I will not comment. But he made comments on how come carnivours don't eat non-conivours on a three decked boat, and God doesn't exist because a family member doesn't recycle. That comment ranks up there with those. What does he want God to do tap him on the shoulder and say HI!

Polytheism-The reason why I have never heard it is because no one has taken it seriously. I read some of the comments on it and they are once again people with no knowledge making comments on something they know nothing about.

So no, I don't see anymore thinking than a six year old.
16-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Do we have the same arguments as the six year, or the same level of critical thinking put into our arguments as a six year old? They are two different things. My point was to prove that we use more than just what the six year old said. I got the impression that you were saying we use the same arguments as the six year old, probably from posts such as this.
(16-04-2010 04:51 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  No, what happened is a six year old has the same arguments against what is written in the Bible as most on this site.
So, please clarify, do we have the same arguments as the six year old, or the same thinking skills as a six-year-old?

I'm sorry, but did I not say, do not comment directly to these(My examples)? I just added them just to prove my point, that we say more than just the bible says funny things. Again, you have already commented to them, back when they were first posted.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
16-04-2010, 06:51 PM

(16-04-2010 06:41 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  Do we have the same arguments as the six year, or the same level of critical thinking put into our arguments as a six year old? They are two different things. My point was to prove that we use more than just what the six year old said. I got the impression that you were saying we use the same arguments as the six year old, probably from posts such as this.
(16-04-2010 04:51 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  No, what happened is a six year old has the same arguments against what is written in the Bible as most on this site.
So, please clarify, do we have the same arguments as the six year old, or the same thinking skills as a six-year-old?

I'm sorry, but did I not say, do not comment directly to these(My examples)? I just added them just to prove my point, that we say more than just the bible says funny things. Again, you have already commented to them, back when they were first posted.

Most have the same arguments as the six year old, some it seems, have the same thinking skills as a six year old, based on juvenile responses. DO NOT GET ME WRONG I make juvenile comments also, but that is not what I am talking about, My P.T. Barnum quote, people calling me Asshat etc, those juvenile comments are not what I am talking about. I am talking about things a six year old could figure out.
16-04-2010, 07:05 PM
(16-04-2010 06:14 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  The question was Jesus existence and the fact that the calendar changed according to his birth, why would it change if that person never existed?

Because people believed that he existed. I've explained this to you before. I don't know why you keep asking this question.

As for the rest of it, I'm not touching it with a ten-foot pole, as it's nothing but insults, and as such requires no response.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-04-2010, 07:15 PM

(16-04-2010 07:05 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(16-04-2010 06:14 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  The question was Jesus existence and the fact that the calendar changed according to his birth, why would it change if that person never existed?

Because people believed that he existed. I've explained this to you before. I don't know why you keep asking this question.

As for the rest of it, I'm not touching it with a ten-foot pole, as it's nothing but insults, and as such requires no response.

Please... you really believe that the calendar would change based on the idea that someone did not exist but enough people believed in Him existing, so they changed it. Talk about a conspiracy theory, you should debate that one.
16-04-2010, 07:36 PM
This is why I didn't want Martin directly responding to the comments I quoted. I fear
I just derailed this thread...