666 interpretation?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2013, 06:06 PM
666 interpretation?
Sorry if this was posted before, but I couldn't find anything.

I saw this article today about the delusional girl who wouldn't run in her cross-country meet because the number she was given was 666.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool...18529.html

The best I can find is the early Christians probably attributed the number to Nero as the beast of revelation 13.

Anyone know of any credible sources I could use to look up more information? I used Wikipedia, but I don't totally trust the information from there (or from just one source) Evil_monster

Thanks Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2013, 06:28 PM
RE: 666 interpretation?
To me 666 looks like three religious people who have just taken their heads out of their asses

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
06-11-2013, 08:45 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2013 08:58 PM by Heathen.)
Revelation 13:18

It really stems from that as far as I can tell. People then tend to make connections where none exist to reinforce what they believe and to support scripture. There's all sorts of examples of that, but I believe it all originates from the verse in Revelation.

Interesting article that you posted. I feel bad for that poor delusional girl but applaud the organizers for refusing to acquiesce to her silly superstitions.

----------------------

[edit] The organizers are assholes.

A spokesperson with Kentucky High School Athletic Association told LEX 18 it wasn't brought to their attention that the request was because of religious beliefs, adding that if they knew, they would have changed the number.

http://www.lex18.com/news/whitley-county...tyPhoto/0/

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
06-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Delusional is probably too strong a word,

Quote:"I didn't want to risk my relationship with God and try to take that number," Thacker told LEX18. "I told them to mark out my name because it makes me sick just thinking that my name is associated with that number."

but silly most certainly isn't.
06-11-2013, 08:59 PM
Reformed/Calvinist Christians usually have a Preterist eschatology where the prophecies regarding 666 were fulfilled in Nero and the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD. That's a relatively small slice of Christianity. Most Christians don't even realize their rapture eschatology only dates to the mid 19th century based largely on a single verse in 2nd Thessalonians. This is the Christians watch you get tortured if you don't take the antichrist 666 mark bullshit.
[+] 2 users Like freetoreason's post
06-11-2013, 09:00 PM
How idiotic. No one really agrees on what the mark of the beast even really is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_the_beast

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
06-11-2013, 09:02 PM
(06-11-2013 08:51 PM)Christsays Wrote:  Delusional is probably too strong a word,

Quote:"I didn't want to risk my relationship with God and try to take that number," Thacker told LEX18. "I told them to mark out my name because it makes me sick just thinking that my name is associated with that number."

but silly most certainly isn't.

No, delusional is exactly the correct word. I didn't mean it in the sense that she has a psychiatric disorder. Although that is certainly debatable.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
06-11-2013, 09:14 PM
That's better.
06-11-2013, 09:21 PM
I can imagine some other runner who inspects the track they are about to run on and sees several small cracks in the pavement, refusing to run in fear that she might step on one and break her mothers back.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
06-11-2013, 09:42 PM
There was a later report saying that if the race officials had know her reason for wanting a different number was religious in nature they would have changed it...scary how much weight a religious preference holds.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post